Thread: You know you're an Alpha Flight fan when....

Default You know you're an Alpha Flight fan when....

This isn't a big long list of silly AF things, but maybe someone can do that.

I was looking for a name for baby rplass, who is about to be born. I definitely wanted a girl's name that started with "A". I seriously considered "Aurora" for a while there. I'm still considering it. Ack! Naming your daughter after a comic book character!?!?!

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Don't feel to bad... I'm a huge DUNE fan and if by some chance I end up with a daughter her name WILL be Chani!
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Well, technically, you'd be naming you daughter after the Greek goddess of the dawn, Aurora. The word is related to the name of the West Germanic goddess whom the English called Eostre, thats Easter in modern English, and whom the Germans and French called Ostara. It is also related to the word East/Ostro/etc, Austria, as well as some Sanskrit that I can't call to mind at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Powersurge
    Well, technically, you'd be naming you daughter after the Greek goddess of the dawn, Aurora. The word is related to the name of the West Germanic goddess whom the English called Eostre, thats Easter in modern English, and whom the Germans and French called Ostara. It is also related to the word East/Ostro/etc, Austria, as well as some Sanskrit that I can't call to mind at the moment.
    Dang, beat me to it
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

My dog's name is Sasqutch...that's kinda the same thing

Ben

Well, for 'A' names I'd avoid Alpha. Allison and it's many varied spellings, Anya, Amanad, Annie, Adrienne,....
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Aurora is a legitimate name. It means "dawn". It's a little unusual, but not unheard of. Have you considered it as a middle name or do you already have a middle name for your daughter?

I thought of the name Narya before my daughter was born, (along with Chelsea, Rosemary, and Jennifer -- the last her daddy's choice), but decided Narya was too unusual. I couldn't use it as a middle name, because we already had a middle name waiting to be used: Elizabeth, (family tradition).

But naming a child after a comic book character is not completely unknown. I once saw a letter in the "New Mutants" letter column from one reader saying that she had named her daughter, Rhane, after Rhane Sinclair. So there's already been a precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    But naming a child after a comic book character is not completely unknown. I once saw a letter in the "New Mutants" letter column from one reader saying that she had named her daughter, Rhane, after Rhane Sinclair. So there's already been a precedent.
    Mate of mine in highschool named her daughter Kahvi after an Elfquest character. Oddly enough in HI unusual names are the norm so it wasn't that big a surprise...that and EVERYONE in school knew how big an Elfquest nut Sandy was. lol

I'm from a bit of a funny but staid family. Same with most of my friends. I'd say the 'oddest' names my friends/relatives have picked are Lexie (a girl), Josey (a boy), Ejler (a boy, Danish name), and that's about it. In my circles alliteration is more common (Michael, Michelle, Michaela, Michelene (sp?), Mitch, all in the same family)
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Why 'A' anyway? Are you going alphabetical on us?
    But Aurora sounds like a good name. Anya's too Buffy.
    But there's a lot you could use.

My cat's name is Goblyn... As for unusual names, mine was 'Chiron' until I had 'Michael' legally tacked on to the beginning.

- Le Messor
    "It used to sound good to me, but now I find it...

Simply unpronouncable!"
    - not exactly Robert Palmer

"A" is from two close family members who she will never meet, a grandparent and an aunt of mine who unfortunately passed away a few years ago. We have a tradition in my family to bestow the highest possible honor upon those who can no longer be honored in life by naming new children after the absent beloved. We declare in solemnity, upon the baby's birth, the names and the namesakes in the same breath. We usually just pick the first initials, without repeating the actual names. It is with intense but forlorn joy that I carry on the memory of the absent beloved by continuing this tradition.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    "A" is from two close family members who she will never meet, a grandparent and an aunt of mine who unfortunately passed away a few years ago. We have a tradition in my family to bestow the highest possible honor upon those who can no longer be honored in life by naming new children after the absent beloved. We declare in solemnity, upon the baby's birth, the names and the namesakes in the same breath. We usually just pick the first initials, without repeating the actual names. It is with intense but forlorn joy that I carry on the memory of the absent beloved by continuing this tradition.

Love,
    rplass
    I like that idea. In our family it's usually after a grandparent or such, which may explain why there are currently 5 Stephen's on Dad's side of the family alone. And that's just those whose first name is Stephen...there's another dozen or so with it for a middle name. There were upwards of 8 at one time, all named for the first member of Dad's family to immigrate to the US from Slovakia.

On Mum's side of the family the same thing sort of with my actual name, Johan. (pronounced joanne) It switches from first to middle name depending on the generation. It was my Nana's middle name. Nana went and broke tradition with Mum and skipped it...keeping the J thing going though with Mum's middle name.

My sister is most likely going to carry that tradition on though, through her sons, they know all about it after asking her why my name's spelled so funny.

Sounds like our family. Well, more my mother's side of tha family. Dad's isn't that sentimental.

I come from a rather large Catholic Newfie family, so there we can expect every Apostle at least once, the most famous being James - whom my maternal grandfather was named after. After him, tho, we've had - at last count - 9 different James or variations, 6 Johns or variations, and a number of Marys and Annes. To throw us ALL off, naturally, one of my aunts had to get creative with the naming scheme by calling her son 'Methuselah', and her daughter 'Sheba' (we asked her if she was expecting a baby or a puppy, since Sheba is also a common dog's name in my family.)

On a related note, then you have the naming scheme used with me and my sister: See, my sister, Angela, and I share the same initials (well, we did until she got married). My full name is Allan Travis Crocker (safe bet this will be the ONLY time you catch me use my full name on purpose), while my sister's (maiden) name is Angela Tenyle Crocker. According to legend, my sister was 5 before my mother caught on that, hey, both my kids have the initials 'ATC'...

... you know, I never thought I'd be sharing this much trivial information with ANYONE, let alone a group of people....
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine