Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should snowbird actually be white?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Shape-shifting demi-goddess: polar bear, wolverine, whale...

Perhaps. Sounds logical. Shaman had a big hand in stabilizing Narya into a human-looking baby. Later, he and James may have determined that "a blonde-haired" Narya would fit in better, given that her eyes are unusual. However, The Old Gods could have chosen someone else, if ethnicity were their main concern, couldn't they?

I'm just saying that Narya has been presented as a transmorph/shape-changing demi-goddess. Easton is a part of who she is, no question about it, and his heridity would show up in her. As she gets older and more experienced or circumstances dictate, Narya may decide to change her appearance to something else. I believe she's capable of doing that,
    if she chooses to.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Re: Shape-shifting demi-goddess: polar bear, wolverine, whal

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    The Old Gods could have chosen someone else, if ethnicity were their main concern, couldn't they?
    Could they? Eastman found the crown thing. Did they have a hand in it, or did it just happen that way? There's no evidence on either side.

And, he was a weak-minded fool. Perfect for what they wanted. Maybe that's why they chose him, or maybe that's just a lucky coincidence? Could they have found a native weak-minded fool working on an archaeological dig?

- Le Messor
    "Dishonor will not trouble me once I am dead."

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    My thoughts:
    Narya was created from a union of a white mortal human being and a "goddess", who doesn't really seem to have a physical form(these "Gods of the north" always seemed rather ethereal to me). Maybe on some genetic level she adapted a look close to father's(blonde hair) when Shaman bound her into a human form and to Canada, because that was the only genetic material in her? Do Nelvana, Hodiak and Turoq have genetic material? Maybe that's exactly why they needed a human to make their champion?

Dana
    I just figure if the Greek gods can spread their seed around (and boy did they ever) then the Inuit pantheon should be able to as well. Hercules, Perseus, etc. all came from a union of the gods with humans. They obviously passed on someting of themselves or Hercules would have just been a stable boy who cleaned stalls for every stinking day of his life with a shovel and pail, instead of moving a river to clean the stalls. There are many examples of the gods mating with humans or other creatures throughout mythology.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Snowbird's ethnicity is moot: polar bear, wolverine, Anne...

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    ...Eastman found the crown thing. Did they have a hand in it, or did it just happen that way? There's no evidence on either side. And, he was a weak-minded fool. Perfect for what they wanted. Maybe that's why they chose him, or maybe that's just a lucky coincidence? Could they have found a native weak-minded fool working on an archaeological dig?

- Le Messor
    The Old Gods could have simply rejected Easton as unsuitable, if they didn't deem him worthy enough. IMO Easton was not such a "weak-minded fool," but a man driven mad once the full consequence of The Old Gods' plan became evident. Easton heard the call of the headband, none of the others did. This does not make him weak-minded, he had to have a "union" with somebody non-ethereal in order for Nelvanna to conceive Narya, and how many people could've just taken 9 years gone in stride? I don't understand what you're getting at here.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Snowbird's ethnicity is moot: polar bear, wolverine, Ann

The Old Gods could have simply rejected Eastman as unsuitable, if they didn't deem him worthy enough. IMO Eastman was not such a "weak-minded fool," but a man driven mad once the full consequence of The Old Gods' plan became evident. Eastman heard the call of the headband, none of the others did. This does not make him weak-minded, he had to have a "union" with somebody non-ethereal in order for Nelvanna to conceive Narya, and how many people could've just taken 9 years gone in stride? I don't understand what you're getting at here.
    Eastman was called weak-minded by Shaman in Vol. 1 #1 since he was easily manipulated into freeing Tundra and his mind was quickly consumed by the Beast allowing it entry into our dimension.
    I think his finding the circlet was a random event, that anyone on the dig (well, the males at least) could have been Narya's father.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Snowbird's ethnicity is moot

Even so, it was after The Old Gods had whisked him away for 9 years, though Easton assumed it was one night. No one else from the dig heard the call of the headband, which had an ironic dual purpose: helping both The Old Gods and The Great Beasts.

The Old Gods have been unforgiving when it comes to Snowbird carrying out their mission, questioning her ability to fulfill her duty (AFV1# 23). If Easton was not suitable or worthy, The Old Gods would not have bothered with him, and would have waited until a more suitable person heard the call of the headband.

The Old Gods seemed pressed for time ["Yet, our time is so short, Hodiak. How can our end be gained...?" --- Nelvanna's word ballon from AFV1# 7, page 18] that they probably didn't have time to pick and choose who the father would be.

I still don't understand what you are getting at here. Do you all want to change Snowbird's ethnicity? Why?

...once upon a time.

Even so (don't dispute that Shaman called him weak-minded; that's his opinion and he's entitled to it), it was after The Old Gods has whisked him away for 9 years, though Eastman assumed it was one night. No one else from the dig heard the call of the headband, which had an ironic dual purpose: helping both The Old Gods and The Great Beasts.

I still don't understand what you are getting at here.
    Wait a min.....Didn't the old gods call Richard Eastman weak-minded too, somewhere there?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Will this address the central question?

Wait a min.....Didn't the old gods call Richard Eastman weak-minded too, somewhere there?

Dana
    Post it. Scan it. Do whatever you need to.

...once upon a time.

I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: found it...Issue 7 of Vol. 1, the Snowbird origin back-up story:

Spoilers follow.....

Page 18: The old gods appear to Richard Eastman and ask him to grant them a boon(do them a favor)...He is appalled at the thought of giving his "seed" to Nelvanna, the Shaper makes her appear as a beautiful, blond woman, so he'll comply. Nelvanna herself says..." Or grant the wildest fantasy of a small mind..."

Page 20: Later, Eastman has returned to Earth(a bit insane) and says..."They told me...warned me. Nelvanna and Hodiak. They said the Beasts were weakening the barriers, that small-minded men would serve as their agents." (unfortunatley, the gods were referring to Eastman himself, it seems...as he later uses the very Tundra headband he is wearing to raise Tundra in issue 1)

Which brings up some very interesting questions....Were the old gods referring to Eastman when they said "small-minded men would serve as agents of the Beasts"? Did they know that he would raise Tundra? Did they plan the whole chain of events(Eastman finding the headband, being Narya's father and him being the one to raise Tundra)?

Re-reading Snowbird's origin just reminds me of my old theory of the old gods. I really don't believe they give a flying fig about Humanity...they are simply at war with the Great Beasts and will do anything, use anyone to accomplish their goal of defeating and/or destroying their enemies. They used Eastman, just as Snowbird is being used...they're both tools to be used by the old gods in their endeavors.

Dana

Which brings up some very interesting questions....Were the old gods referring to Eastman when they said "small-minded men would serve as agents of the Beasts"? Did they know that he would raise Tundra? Did they plan the whole chain of events(Eastman finding the headband, being Narya's father and him being the one to raise Tundra)?

Dana
    It could be that the future is set and, although they can see what's to come, the gods can't alter it. All they can do is play their part in bringing about the destined events. How's that for makin' ya think?

Good point....perhaps they know what's coming.

Dana

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Snowbird's dad is named "EASTON"

"The Beast speaks true! The spirit of the mortal who must have started this is gone! What a tiny, shrivelled thing it must have been, so soon to have relinquished control.
    "Tundra alone remains."

--- Shaman's thought balloons from AFV1# 1, page 28
    [Accurate assessment, even though Shaman doesn't seem to know
    that the same person who fathered Snowbird is responsible for
    raising Tundra]

"Look past my mortal guise, Kolomaq. Look upon my true fires, and see now who it is you face."
    --- Snowbird's word balloon from AFV1# 6, page 8
    [her real self doesn't look very human (let alone "White", "Inuit",
    or whatever ethnicity human beings could be classified as)]

In light of what has been presented, how does all of this warrant such an irrelevant topic?

...once upon a time.

She wasn't all that caucasian looking. I mean, her eyes were all weird.

Besides, gods can do whatever they want, and she was designed to fit in right, who fits in better then white folk?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Let 'em rot

For a thread that is so obsessed with Snowbird's lineage, it would be more accurate to acknowledge her human father and refer to her as a "demi-goddess," because she's not a full-fledged "god" like Nelvanna, Hodiak, and Turoq. In order to protect Earth from The Great Beasts, The Old Gods had to have someone who could pierce the Great Barrier, which The Old Gods themselves could not do. If The Old Gods really didn't care about humanity, they didn't need to bother trying to send a champion at all. There were plenty of super-powered people and teams who could've defended the earthly realm: Doctor Strange, The Fantastic Four, The Avengers, The Defenders, etc.

...once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    ...There was also Nanook, who was the daughter of an ordinary Eskimo and a Northern Goddess........
    *cringe!* Why oh WHY, in this day and age of political correctness do we STILL allow this one to slip by!! Why oh why!!! Does no one understand how bloody derrogatory it is?!?! It ranks up there with 'n****r', 'c***k' and 'f***e-p*****r'!!! Please, if there is a God somewhere in that cold wilderness of the heavens, teach these bloody heathenistic bastards the TRUTH!!
    Yet in the tirade, Allan, YOU did not teach what word should be used! Someone else filled it in.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.