Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should snowbird actually be white?

Default Should snowbird actually be white?

She's a demigoddess, but IIRC her mother was some indian goddess...shouldn't she look like an indian, not a white girl? Just something I noticed.
    "You will bow down before the almighty Bunghole!"-Cornholio

Well, her father was white, and he was the human in the match-up.

You can argue this on e both ways, but I think she'd be a lot more interesting if she shared more of the Inuit traits. Ed Northcott had a beautiful rendition of her in a more Indian appearance as well as her altered chararterization. If he ever resurfaces you should ask him his thoughts.

I tend to agree with Mistress Mer, that Snowbird is white because her birth father was.

It's interesting to speculate about this matter. When Snowbird was first introduced 25+ years ago, no one thought twice about her being white. However, if the character were introduced today, then she more than likely would have an Inuit heritage.

If there should be an Alpha Flight, volume 4, I wonder if they might introduce a Snowbird II with an Inuit background? Given AF writers' penchants for introducing "all-new" teams whenever a new AF book is published, this might be worth thinking about.

I believe this was already done: in the X-Men Millennial Visions 2001 issue, the character Redbird was introduced, who was Shaman and Snowbird's daughter. There was also Nanook, who was the daughter of an ordinary Eskimo and a Northern Goddess. Either one of them would probably look Inuitty.

See a picture of them at: http://www.geocities.com/rplass/afco....htm#XMMV20012

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Something about that just creeps me out, though...I mean Shaman and Snowbird having a daughter. He DID raise her as if he was her father...shudder.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    ...There was also Nanook, who was the daughter of an ordinary Eskimo and a Northern Goddess........
    *cringe!* Why oh WHY, in this day and age of political correctness do we STILL allow this one to slip by!! Why oh why!!! Does no one understand how bloody derrogatory it is?!?! It ranks up there with 'n****r', 'c***k' and 'f***e-p*****r'!!! Please, if there is a God somewhere in that cold wilderness of the heavens, teach these bloody heathenistic bastards the TRUTH!!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Something about that just creeps me out, though...I mean Shaman and Snowbird having a daughter. He DID raise her as if he was her father...shudder.

Dana
    .... and am I the ONLY one who sees what's wrong with 'Goldensnow'?? Haven't we all (at least, the ones of us who've SEEN snow :P) been warned AWAY from 'golden' snow?? Sounds like a diabolical villain to me....

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! I wouldn't try eating it either.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    ...There was also Nanook, who was the daughter of an ordinary Eskimo and a Northern Goddess........
    *cringe!* Why oh WHY, in this day and age of political correctness do we STILL allow this one to slip by!! Why oh why!!! Does no one understand how bloody derrogatory it is?!?! It ranks up there with 'n****r', 'c***k' and 'f***e-p*****r'!!! Please, if there is a God somewhere in that cold wilderness of the heavens, teach these bloody heathenistic bastards the TRUTH!!

You mean Eskimo is a very bad word to say and the right one is Inuit? Yes I know. Wonder why it's still used. But I liked your reaction. Feel like me when Jeanne-Marie is called Jean-Marie
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

Hey! I was just quoting the text from the comic book. I didn't pick the word. But now that you mention it, I think I will update the entry on my website to modernize the usage and remove the inappropriate word.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Hey! I was just quoting the text from the comic book. I didn't pick the word. But now that you mention it, I think I will update the entry on my website to modernize the usage and remove the inappropriate word.

Love,
    rplass
    Thank you!

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Snowbird can be whatever Canadian ethnicity she wants to be

"In her secret identity, Snowbird is Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer Anne McKenzie, but Anne is no more her true form than the polar bear is. In fact, not even what we see as Snowbird is her real form. John Byrne says that we will probably never see her true form."

- excerpt from "Now Boarding on ALPHA FLIGHT" by Peter Sanderson in AMAZING HEROES# 22, pages 32 and 35.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Re: Snowbird can be whatever Canadian ethnicity she wants to

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    "In her secret identity, Snowbird is Royal Canadian Mounted Police Officer Anne McKenzie, but Anne is no more her true form than the polar bear is. In fact, not even what we see as Snowbird is her real form. John Byrne says that we will probably never see her true form."
    Her "True Fires" as she called them.

Ben

My thoughts:
    Narya was created from a union of a white mortal human being and a "goddess", who doesn't really seem to have a physical form(these "Gods of the north" always seemed rather ethereal to me). Maybe on some genetic level she adapted a look close to her father's(blonde hair) when Shaman bound her into a human form and to Canada, because that was the only genetic material in her? Do Nelvana, Hodiak and Turoq have genetic material? Maybe that's exactly why they needed a human to make their champion?

Dana