Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northstar back in Ultimate X-Men

Default Northstar back in Ultimate X-Men

The alternate version of the character turns up again in the latest issue (#61? I'll edit and number later) in Emma Frost's shadow mutant team.

He's still called Northstar but sports a strikingly different costume.

Scan, dude! Scan!

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Yeah, this turned up in my standing order for no apparent reason, and I didn't check thoroughly (thought it was Uncanny) before I bought. With N'star inside, I wasn't displeased. He was well-portrayed, being all heroic and stuff (but with... implications).
    Also, it wasn't as sleazy as I'm used to from the Ultimate universe.

Yep, it's #61.

- Le Messor
    "I remember when comics were a world you escaped to, not one you escaped from."
    - Squirrel Girl, GLA

Well that was pretty cool issue. I was hoping for a little more background on Ultimate JP, of course, but we can't win 'em all. The costume is sorta cool, if hopelessly generic looking. Here's hoping he strikes up a little "friendship" with ultimate Colossus. . .

OR, they could poke fun at thier own trend of making characters homosexual and make Ultimate Northstar in to something of a ladies' man. . . Unless they brought up his sexuality already in that first issue he was in that I didn't get.

Unless they brought up his sexuality already in that first issue he was in that I didn't get.
    Yar, that was Ultimate X-Men #'s 46 and 47, where a rounded-eared teenaged JP exclaims on the roof of Stuyvesant HS in NYC:

Great! Sophomore year, I realize I'm gay and now you're telling me I'm a mutie?

Note also there is a variant cover to #61, which my comic shop had a few copies of. I love the $20.00 price sticker that obscures the regular $2.50 cover price.

From the appearance of the new costume, which matches in style Havok's and Polaris' costumes, can we assume he has joined some unnamed student team? Phil calls it the "shadow mutants" - is that the official name of the team?

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Nah, no official name, it's just the term I used for an unofficial, unsanctioned mutant team.

And there are 2 variants to #61; a 1 in 50 for $20ish, and a retailer incentive sketch cover which is going for $175 or more

Maybe it's just me but I don't think Ultimate's Northstar did the REAL Northstar justice.

In making this character, they took ONE aspect of Northstar's life, the fact that he's gay, and made it the complete focus of his character.

1. His first appearance he whines about being gay
    2. When he sees Sinister he says, "I don't do older guys." or something to that effect.
    3. As soon as he wakes up, he flirts with Colossus

The real Northstar was a gay man, but he didn't let it define him. He had interests, hobbies, passions, beleifs tht didn't have anythign to do with that. He was always gay, but he was alway a man too.

Ultimate just made him a lame-ass cliche. Maybe it's too early to make htis kind of justice, he is just a kid, but it certainly isn't off to a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    Maybe it's just me but I don't think Ultimate's Northstar did the REAL Northstar justice.

In making this character, they took ONE aspect of Northstar's life, the fact that he's gay, and made it the complete focus of his character.

1. His first appearance he whines about being gay
    2. When he sees Sinister he says, "I don't do older guys." or something to that effect.
    3. As soon as he wakes up, he flirts with Colossus

The real Northstar was a gay man, but he didn't let it define him. He had interests, hobbies, passions, beleifs tht didn't have anythign to do with that. He was always gay, but he was alway a man too.

Ultimate just made him a lame-ass cliche. Maybe it's too early to make htis kind of justice, he is just a kid, but it certainly isn't off to a good start.
    Actually as a gay man I do all three of those things on a daily basis (except I'd probably choose Wolverine over Colossus).

I love Northstar(I happen to be gay too, not that it matters), but I really have no interest in picking the Ultimate X appearances up(I have yet to buy and Ultimate book and there's no point in starting now). The descriptions here of his appearances makes me even more less likely to be picking it up.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    (except I'd probably choose Wolverine over Colossus).
    .... Okay, no accounting for taste.... (Gimme Nightcrawler or hell, Cyclops over Wolverine.... Colossus tho... nah, too much muscle. I like my men like I like my beef - lean, not too tough.)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Hmmm...As I thought...no reason for me to pick this up(It's just not my cup o' tea)...thanks for the scan, DarkSnowbird.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack
    Actually as a gay man I do all three of those things on a daily basis (except I'd probably choose Wolverine over Colossus).
    Errrr, then forget I said anything. I still think Ultimate was lame though for many reasons.

I just think there is a balance point for characters, ya know. I'm Puerto Rican, but I don't go around going "Boricua, Boricua!!" all the time... just special ocasions, heh heh.

Um, can Northstar fly in Ultimate?

And I ferget, what's the point of Emma Frost's group? Are they like an X-Factor, government shill team?

Who taught Northstar how to use his powers in the "real marvel world" anyway? Some terrorist right?

I'm not really into the idea of the Ultimate Universe either, especially as books like Ulitmate FF and X-Men don't seem a million miles away from what they are in the regular Marvel Universe.

I'm not actually sure that we know HOW Northstar learnt to use his powers in the Marvel Universe! How does someone suddenly discover that they can fly?