Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vol. 2 vs. Vol. 3

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    I don't think v2 were heroes at all. They never helped anybody, they never tried.
    I never really thought about it before but you're absolutely right!

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    I'd never have dropped the title; but in the end, the only reason I didn't drop v2 (ME? Drop Alpha Flight? You don't know how low things have to get for that to happen!!!) was because I knew it'd be cancelled shortly. (I could handle only three more issues.)
    I collected both Vols. 2 & 3 in their entireties as well, only to do my part in trying to keep AF alive long enough for it to hopefully change for the better. Too bad it didn't happen.

I liked Hull House! I think it has the potential for the Canadian Xavier Institute.

And maybe yeins are right, they we'ren't really heroes. Maybe if they return they can reconcile that, struggle with the hero within. Radius really got a bad rap didn't he, first Evil H's Alpha Flight, then X-Corps, what a heel.

Vol.2 was alos alot more about the Mutant side of marvel, and I think was billed pretty much that way. But Vol. 3 was more a gained powers, cause Puck II and Centennial might be mutants, but it was never explained that way, or at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    I liked Hull House! I think it has the potential for the Canadian Xavier Institute.
    Have to disagree with ya J, Hull House was nothing more than Dept. H's mutie farm. They selected the kind of mutants they wanted, created them in a lab and raised them at Hull House. Or at least that seemed to be the direction the book was going in before it was cancelled. Besides, that's what Gamma and Beta Flight are for, finding and training Canadians who have special abilities. In a way Dept. H is more inclusive since they don't restrict membership to mutants only. (How about that, Prof. X is a closet bigot! )

Vol.2 was alos alot more about the Mutant side of marvel, and I think was billed pretty much that way. But Vol. 3 was more a gained powers, cause Puck II and Centennial might be mutants, but it was never explained that way, or at all.
    You're right, they never did come out and say Puck II was a mutant, she could easily have gotten her powers mystically with her daddy's background but I thought Sasquatch came out and said that Centennial was a mutant. His powers just never manifested until Walt gave him the "ooga booga" treatment in the hospital. Maybe I'm wrong on that one but that's how I remember it.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    ... but I thought Sasquatch came out and said that Centennial was a mutant. His powers just never manifested until Walt gave him the "ooga booga" treatment in the hospital. Maybe I'm wrong on that one but that's how I remember it.
    That was never really made clear, but I remember in the hospital he said he had been doing research on Canadian veterans who had had been in contact with some type of radiation or something, while on duty. Something like that.

Anywhoo, I liked where v2 was going also. Especially after Gentry took over and started cleaning things up. I liked Flex's growth and Radius' potential. Murmur bugged the hell out of me and manbot was a little annoying at first but he grew on me a bit. I was always curious about that Flinch kid in the Beta.

I absolutely loved v3 and couldn't wait to read the next issues... until issue 6. Other then the art, the character development was the only other thing the book had going for it. Sasquatch quickly became my favorite Alphan. I loved every character in the book, but hated the situations they were put in.

It's too bad it had to flop so soon. House of M would have been an excellent oportunity to give Alpha a new spin and a new life. Plus with Northstars' huge popularity since his "death", I'm sure a book could have been successfully hyped.

Anyways, c'est la vie. If Marvel's latest trend of hyping up older forgoten characters from the 70s (cage, spider-woman, dazzler, cloak and dagger etc) continues, there's always hope. Anyone know if Bendis is a fan of Canada?

D.

Going on conversations with Scott, Centy fell into a coma somehow, and gained his powers whilst in his coma, so the first time he used them was as Walt awakened him....

As to Vol.2 vs 3... I think I'm gonna have to go with 2 simply because it got me into collecting AF.

I prefer both volumes to some of the Vol.1 issues though.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Have to disagree with ya J, Hull House was nothing more than Dept. H's mutie farm. They selected the kind of mutants they wanted, created them in a lab and raised them at Hull House. Or at least that seemed to be the direction the book was going in before it was cancelled. Besides, that's what Gamma and Beta Flight are for, finding and training Canadians who have special abilities. In a way Dept. H is more inclusive since they don't restrict membership to mutants only. (How about that, Prof. X is a closet bigot! )

You're right, they never did come out and say Puck II was a mutant, she could easily have gotten her powers mystically with her daddy's background but I thought Sasquatch came out and said that Centennial was a mutant. His powers just never manifested until Walt gave him the "ooga booga" treatment in the hospital. Maybe I'm wrong on that one but that's how I remember it.
    Closet bigot?!?!? Is you crazy?!?!? Just kidding. But no, Profesor X actually wanted to get more human kids to study at Xavier's to show the world that he wasn't a pro-mutant bigot. I think it was when he invited Annie Ghazerakian's kid Carter, then he turned out to be a mutant. And the X-Men had some non-mutant members; Longshot and Juggarnaut.

Yeah, I think that was Hull House's first purpose, but remeber Gentry took over and shook everything up, HH probubly got the boot, but the kids are still there probubly, bunch of muties, it would be cool if it was a place where mutant prospects could train and use their powers, maybe...

Oh yeah, and it was "Boola Boola" I think that's an important plot point and you should get you're facts straight... jesus!!! Just kidding. Much love.

Closet bigot?!?!? Is you crazy?!?!?... Oh yeah, and it was "Boola Boola" I think that's an important plot point and you should get you're facts straight... jesus!!! Just kidding. Much love.
    When I was thinking about it, it suddenly struck me that Xavier's schools could seem like reverse racism if you looked at it a certain way. As for the "boola boola" error, you're quite right. I should have spent the four or five hours searching through my boxes of comics to correctly quote such a crucial plot point. I promise next time to leave no comic unread. :P

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default A pox on both volumes!

The Hull House idea is intriquing, as is the Legacy thing. Lili (or Lilli)/Ghost Girl is an interesting character, and what Dept. H did to her is just sick IMO. Flinch doesn't do anything for me, and I wouldn't be upset if this character were never heard or seen or smelled again.

Zodiac and the Ecliptic are worthy adversaries for [V2] Alpha Flight.

How many renegade WEAPON Xs must there be before somebody on Parliment Hill starts wondering what's going on?

After re-reading the TPB, I'm not as enamored with vol. 3 as I was. The Plodex look mammalian in this series, yet they are somehow egg-layers, too (this puzzled me when I first read it). Why did the Plodex ship let Sasquatch go in the first place? Why not Earthmover? I'm beginning not to care much, anymore.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default Re: A pox on both volumes!

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    After re-reading the TPB, I'm not as enamored with vol. 3 as I was. The Plodex look mammalian in this series, yet they are somehow egg-layers, too (this puzzled me when I first read it).
    You forget: I live in Australia.
    Egg-laying mammals exist here. Look up the word 'monotreme' some time.
    (The echidna or spiny anteater, and the duck-billed platypus, for the record.)

- Le Messor
    "The platypus: Proof positive that God has a sense of humour."

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Monotreme - good word

monotreme "n. any egg-laying mammal of the order of Monotremata, comprising only the duckbill and echidnas of Australia and New Guinea." --- from Random House Webster's College Dictionary, 2000

Okay, so the V3 Plodex (excuse me, the Platypuses/Echidnas/Monotremes) who look humanoid can mass-produce eggs like crazy. Makes about as much sense as anything else that's happened to Alpha Flight, who'd better learn how to fight really well if they make it to Platypus-world.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

...once upon a time.

Default Marvels re-struckturing bankruptsies

man each time marvel went through another one of it's re structuring bankruptsies, it ment they would have to sell some of their properties to other buyers, in order to be finantually in the black. why do you think 20th century fox put soo much money into x men, cause they owned the majority shares in the movie option, so they got the profits. same with spider man, marvel may still own the name, but not the profits from the movie. the few titles they do still own, they usually make very bad movies of, like punisher, both of them, hulk, yes the hulk movie sucked, little to no plot, non senseable plot jumps and , well it was just caca. Blade was good, the second one even better, but the third, man that disipointed me. marvel still owens all rights to the fantastic four, and i liked that movie, but you can only watch it once, it's not the kind of movie to watch again. so where's the next good flick?
    don't tell me their will be a captain america movie, where he must rescue mr bush from some terrorists, oh wait, they did to a capt movie, and man did that one blow. um, i forgot why i started writing, got off on a rant their, got a deadline to make, i'll try not to be a stranger.

hi ho Carlson;

I think they are making another Captain America movie, but I think it may turn out as dorky as the last one. The character isn't made for anything but comics.

As to v.3 vs v.2 I'm still a bit on the fence after pondering, I liked what I liked before, Lobdell's characters, Henry's art, Seagle's writing, Lobdell's plots, Seagle's details,....
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Yay! I think a Captain America move would be great! If they do it right. It's gotta be a WW2 movie where he beats up Nazis, and it needs to be a complex introspective about duty, honor, compassion, and the right thing to do.

They should give it to a really spacey director who will use all these complex camera angles and cell shading graphics, and it should be full of hardcore orchestra music with the deep horns and crazy violins, ya know. Something epic and inspiring, and patriotic in the grand sence, not to America but to good and the decency of humanity.

Maybe they can even put in the Invaders, the first Human Torch and Namor, maybe even Major Mapleleaf, at least figurativly.

I would see it, it sounds like a super block buster, and it could work. Hell, they're gonna make a Power Man/Luke Cage movie with Jamie Foxx.

P.S. Concering Power Man, forget Jamie Foxx, get that one dude from Barber Shop with the blue eyes, and make it about inspiring the strength in people. It'll be good then.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Epsilon-Blacks: MIA

Where were the Epsilon-Blacks when the Epsilon-Reds were getting their butts kicked by Zodiac?

I agree with Carlson about the Blade movies; they should've stopped with the second one.

...once upon a time.

Back to the question at hand, V3. I never liked the art in V2, and I didn't like the new characters at all. V1 of course rules all in the end, but I never really enjoyed V2 as much as I'd hoped I would