Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northstar! What next?

Default Northstar! What next?

Recently, in the pages of X-men, Northstar, our favorite french-canadian homosexual elf skier/writer/teacher, kicked the bucket.

Then it turned out he was cloned... for EVIL!!!! Curse you Hydra!!!

At the end of that little story ark, Wolverine handed the defeated simulcrum over to S.H.I.E.L.D. for whatever...

For the Northstar fans, like me, this means he could come back, de-re-programed. There are plenty of things he can then do, go right back to teaching, as he apparently was a good and well-loved teacher, but there are other options too.

Where do you think Northstar should go from here?

I think Fury should be unsecsessful wit hthe de-re-programing, and he should break out, and become EVIL! Form a mutant rights terrorist group and tussel with notables, like Wolverine or Alpha Flight. It'd be fun, and the whole time Wolfie feels it's his responsibility to reform him... leading to... GAY ROMANCE between the two!!! Maybe just an awkward kiss, that would be so freaking awesome!!! Just to see Wolfie's face even if he doesn't recipricate, so awesome...awesome...

huh? Cloned for evil? No, he was raised from the dead in a brainwashed state. Unless I missed something that is.

But as for where I would like to see the character go, I'd like to see him return to his roots. Traumatized by his experiences with Hydra, he seaks out his sister, finds her in the hands of Weapon X. He assists in busting her loose, and together they return to Canada to find thier Alpha Teammates, as both are in need of the comforts of home.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    huh? Cloned for evil? No, he was raised from the dead in a brainwashed state. Unless I missed something that is.

But as for where I would like to see the character go, I'd like to see him return to his roots. Traumatized by his experiences with Hydra, he seaks out his sister, finds her in the hands of Weapon X. He assists in busting her loose, and together they return to Canada to find thier Alpha Teammates, as both are in need of the comforts of home.

Ben
    Oh yeah, my mistake, he wasn't cloned he was resurrected, which I guess gives it a tinsey bit more validation in the eyes of the public.

I'd like to see him as a potencial AF villian if another series appears. It can be a long running story arc where they try to track him down and help him, the "Quest for Northstar" maybe a biblical sounding name or something. Filled with intrigue and suspence, untill he finaly puts the evil aside and comes home.

I also wanna see more gay romance, turn a couple major characters, or at least have them a little confused. It's not that I'm in to that sort of thing, but I mean, that would be awesome as hell to watch from a literary standpoint, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Julesville
    I'd like to see him as a potencial AF villian if another series appears. It can be a long running story arc where they try to track him down and help him, the "Quest for Northstar" maybe a biblical sounding name or something. Filled with intrigue and suspence, untill he finaly puts the evil aside and comes home.
    Didn't they already have a "Quest for Northstar" in the original AF run when Aurora, Laura Dean, Goblyn and Purple Girl went to Pixie-Land to find him?

Actually didn't they also have a Quest for Aurora after she went missing too???

What is it with these twins that they keep going missing!!!!

I actually really liked him with the X-Men, I hope once this all blows over he sticks around the mansion, and maybe even gets stuck on an actual team. (fat chance, I know)

Ben
    YAY Ben!!!!

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Ben
    I would be more precise, he needs to go back in Montreal. It's where is home for him. Aurora and him are very moch Montreal centric characters (I would have create one character based more inQuébec city, but I never was the creator, what can I say?).

I was talking to my brother Yves, some of you may remember. I liked most of his ideas. He would see a Northstar solo serie. Of course, it would take place in Montreal. The city would be very importante to the story. I think it would be like tales of a city kind of way. when the city affects the characters, no? Anyway, he (my brother) thought Northstar serie should be in the mature line, so you would not have any problems talking about gays, which of course would be a part of the serie. Jeanne-Marie/Aurora would be a supporting characters and other new characters would be created. The one major thing Yves had in mind was to take one of the guys in the super soldiers (euh, was that their names? anyway the russian super group) I think Ursa Major, again I maybe wrong, make in stay in Montreal and been gay. He would do a great supposrting character. And most of the serie would not be about costumes heroes, but mostly ordinary people been heroes. Like only Northstar would been seen in costume. Ursa Major would be retired for the super-hero life but we could see him used his powers from time to time but never in costume.

Sorry Yves, I had to tell your story:P
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I think Northstar should be made to turn straight somehow. Personal opinion. I don't think that gays should be in comic books children are capable of getting their hands on (same reason they can't be in kids' cartoons).
    "You will bow down before the almighty Bunghole!"-Cornholio

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss
    I think Northstar should be made to turn straight somehow. Personal opinion. I don't think that gays should be in comic books children are capable of getting their hands on (same reason they can't be in kids' cartoons).

I was talking about the adult line at Marvel. It's not because it's comic book that it got to be for kids, Have you ever read some vertigo titles or some japanese comics or some adult comics? Comics and cartoons are not only for kids, it's a misconception in North America that think that.

Anyway, I feel that gays in comics are a lot less damaging to children than the message of violence that super-hero comic convey (if you want to look it that way). Adult dressed funny to beat up bad people that's what we usually see. I don't think I saw an issu without a fight. So what is worst? Seen 2 men loving each other without shame (loving and not making sex in panel) or showing kids it's ok to solve a problem with violence?

I think kids are a lot more intelligent than what we give then credit for. And it's mostly the parent(s) job to make sure, the kid got it right. If I look at what I saw as a kid as cartoon and read as comics, they were not all nice and easy. There was heavy stuff in there too. I prefer to see a Candy that saw her friend died and was miserable at times than to see GI Joe that where shooting everywhere but strangely no one dies. Do kids think that if they use a gun it's going to be like in GI Joe?

Or like about all the Disney's movie cartoon, all the villain dies at the end but they never get in prison. Like it's better to do yourself justice than give the villain to the police.

I could go on like that. I think what is good for kids it to show them that there is love and compassion in the world, it's not always easy to be living and you got to be responsible for your action.
    -Obélix

I'm with Sylvie on this one! Speaking as a parent, any medium that allows me to open a discussion with my children about the differences in people (sexual orientation, nationality, race, religion, etc.) and the evils they may face in the world (violence, drugs, etc.) is a good thing. I'd much rather my children ask me about why Northstar is holding that guys hand than why Sasquatch was beaten and left for dead by Sabertooth. If they're gonna see it in society, why not put a positive spin on it in a medium they can understand and appreciate. Will it instantly turn all of the comic book reading children gay? I think that's what the publishers or churches want you to believe. I for one believe that if you are then you are and if you're not you never will be. I don't believe anyone would choose to place themselves in a position to be ridiculed and discriminated against if they didn't have to. I don't want to speak for anyone here, but I'm sure those who are homosexual have known it just as surely as I've known I'm straight. So show it in comics. It won't hurt anything. It'll open up communication with parents and children if anything.

Wow, this is weird: Big Boss offers an opinion that, to some, might be considered 'homophobic' and I don't feel the need to rip his throat out...

Don't get me wrong, I disagree whole-heartedly with his opinion - I'm of the camp that, if you hide it from people, you only give them something more to fear, and I'm usually one of the most vocal when it it comes to it (hell, just ask anyone on this list who's known me more than fifteen minutes).

Big Boss, just so I have a solid ground to debate, would you please explain why you don't think homosexuals should be seen in a multi-generational media forum? As well, the notion of 'turning' JP straight is rediculous. JP's sexuality (nor mine, hell, nor yours) isn't something you can turn on and off at a whim. it's part of our biology. You can't 'turn' me straight, any more than I could 'turn' you gay - it doesn't work that way.

PS: Thank you for being so eloquent, Tom. You phrased it perfectly, imo.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Big Boss
    Oh my Lord...There are gay people in "GASP' comic books?...or God-forbid...in the streets...where our children can..."GASP again" see them? What is this world coming to?

Dana

P.S. "Big Boss" is not one of my favorite people, right now.
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Ah, diversity. I'm not putting in my opinion on all the sex in comics stuff, even though I have a pretty stiff point of view (you'd have to know me and what insider knowledge I have with the law to know why). I believe in diversity, even Big Boss' right to express his view on how things be. That's democracy folks, the right to express your opinion without harm.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Ah, diversity. I'm not putting in my opinion on all the sex in comics stuff, I believe in diversity, even Big Boss' right to express his view on how things be. That's democracy folks, the right to express your opinion without harm.

But I agree Big Boss can say his opinion, it's what forum are for, no? But what is fun with forums is that I can say my opinion too!

Anyway, I just want to precised I'm all for gays in comics, but I'm not talking about sex in comics, if you understand what I mean. Let just say I don't like sexual object Ă* la Britney Spears (or other form) that we see more in comics and many others medium.

Anyway...
    -Obélix

Ooops, to get back to what Julesville what asking...

I'm say Northstar should be deprogrammed but awfully bitter at the X-Men and all. So Puck shows up and either a)

Has a few drinks with him, Northstar runs off and joins Weapon X

or b)

Puck surprises him and says now that AF has been decimated by the newly reborn Master that he and Sasquatch want Northstar to lead Alpha Flight because Puck'll be in Department H's upper echelons soon enough and the Hudsons will direct Department H once they get out of the hospital
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.