Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
An odd Snowbird thing I've just noticed . . .

Thread: An odd Snowbird thing I've just noticed . . .

Default An odd Snowbird thing I've just noticed . . .

Hey . . . you true blue fans out there have probably already got this, but has anyone else ever noticed that "Narya" is an anagram of "Aryan"?

^^; Hope I've got that right . . . Just thought I'd mentioned it. It's odd that I never noticed it before, but, there you go. ^^;

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Alpha Flight

I thought about that a couple of years ago. You have this blonde haired goddess of the great white north who's a shapeshifter. 2 out of 3 can't be bad. Byrne's the only one who know's, maybe Claremont too.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I thought about that a couple of years ago. You have this blonde haired goddess of the great white north who's a shapeshifter. 2 out of 3 can't be bad. Byrne's the only one who know's, maybe Claremont too.
    ^^; Yeah, I figured somebody else might have thought of it, but meh . . . I'm just glad I'm not the only one, but I'd thought I'd post it up just in case. ^^

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Alpha Flight

I noticed it myself. I'm not sure if John Byrne did this on purpose, though. Actually, I have an idea that Narya means, "From the north", ("nar "meaning north, as in narwhal).

Incidentally, I once asked John Byrne in a chatroom how Narya is pronounced, and he wrote back, "Honestly? I have no idea!"

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    I noticed it myself. I'm not sure if John Byrne did this on purpose, though. Actually, I have an idea that Narya means, "From the north", ("nar "meaning north, as in narwhal).

Incidentally, I once asked John Byrne in a chatroom how Narya is pronounced, and he wrote back, "Honestly? I have no idea!"
    Serious? Oh, that's funny! X) And the "from the north" theory is interesting, I hadn't thought of that . . . *methinks research is now needed . . . * ><; ^^

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Administrator Department H

Co-incidentally, "Narya" is also the name of the Elven ring worn by Gandalf in the Lord of The Rings books by JRR Tolkien. I'm not sure that Tolkien intended the anagram, nor am I sure that Byrne intended it, either.

One thing that I always loved about Snowbird was that she had that third name. It wasn't just Snowbird/Anne, like Batman/Bruce, or Shaman/Michael. Instead it carried the mythological weight of Superman/Clark/Kal-El. That third name... it seemed so much more mystical and a better level of mythological writing.

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Harvester of Sorrows Department H

I've always figured she was named after the elvish ring. The others are Nenya and something else, btw.

- Le Messor
    "Did you ever hear one of these corny, positive messages on someone's answering machine? "Hi, it's a great day and I'm out enjoying it right now. I hope you are too. The thought for the day is: "Share the love." Beep."Uh, yeah...this is the VD clinic calling....Speaking of being positive, your test results are back. Stop sharing the love."
    - Andy Rooney

Alpha Flight

Vilya, The Blue Ring, The Ring of Air, borne by Elrond

the other two already mentioned are

Nenya, The Ring of Adamant, The Ring of Water, borne by Galadriel
    Narya, The Red Ring, The Ring of Fire, borne by Gandalf

also, in the elvish language of Quenya, 'narya' means 'sun'

l like Lord of the Rings

Gamma Flight

She is a snowflake.

New Recruit

Default Re: An odd Snowbird thing I've just noticed . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Hatheny-Lurey-Dralaw
    Hey . . . you true blue fans out there have probably already got this, but has anyone else ever noticed that "Narya" is an anagram of "Aryan"?

^^; Hope I've got that right . . . Just thought I'd mentioned it. It's odd that I never noticed it before, but, there you go. ^^;

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Well that's certainly unnerving. BTW, does "Aryan" actually mean "Nazi", or does it just mean really, really, really white like Conan O'Brien?
    "You will bow down before the almighty Bunghole!"-Cornholio

Harvester of Sorrows Department H

Aryan was the name of a specific race / ethnic group. It's now used to characterise anyone with blonde hair and blue eyes. The Nazi associations have nothing to do with the etymology.

Actually, I just like to -say- etymology.
    etymologyetymologyetymologyetymologyetymology

- Le Messor
    "Direct action produces direct reaction."

New Recruit

What's that race/ethnic group? Or does it just mean "them white folks"?

Administrator Department H

Seriously, are you trying to be banned?

New Recruit

No, I'm not. I don't see what I'm doing wrong. I'm just asking a question.