Thread: Wolverine#28 preview at Mile High comics...SPOILERS!

Default Wolverine#28 preview at Mile High comics...SPOILERS!

Spoilers.....
    http://www.milehighcomics.com/firstl...lvey28cvr.html

It's hard to read some of the text, but are they now saying Jean Paul was an addict or something? Popping pills? Do they have to ruin his character before they kill him(if they do kill him, that is)? I hope that's not what they're planning.

Groan.......

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I don't know if they're implying that he was an addict or just that he was having a difficult time coping with life in the X-Men and that was his crutch. I doubt it's meant to be a defining character trait or anything.

I do have to say that lines like "Northstar burst twenty-five rednecks in as many hours" are really setting him up as a force to be reckoned with. If JP gets out of this storyline alive I suspect he's going to have quite a higher "coolness factor" among a segment of the audience who was indifferent before. (of course we loved him but we're not the majority these days)

There was that swipe at Alpha though:

Wolverine: You were always b-list at best Jean-Paul. Even when we were back in Alpha Flight.

Northstar: Ouch.

I'm really impressed by this, so far... Only in a "Wolverine" comic could these two former enemies sit down at a bar and have a calm, civilized and frank discussion of recent events. The way Logan reaches out to JP is laudable. Kudos to the writers for taming the awful and immense threat implicated at the end of issue #27 and instead touching upon the deep humanity of Logan, especially revealing his unforgotten love for Alpha Flight members. It's only 4 pages, but I'm already reminded of the events of Uncanny X-Men #140 where he calms down the feral Snowbird who is nearly lost to the bloodlust of subduing The Wendigo. I'm glad that the meeting takes place publicly and not inside a superhero sanctuary such as a HQ for an international police agency nor Avenger's Mansion where the rules of normal social interaction don't apply and an all-out battle could spark very easily. It's similar to the events of Weapon X vol. 2 #18, where Logan peacefully confronts Chamber in a bar. I hope that this issue concludes the story arc in a positive way, with Northstar returning to the fold. I'd much rather see him as a "hero", as a protector of children and as a mutant whose difficult situation we have grown to accept than a red-eyed drunken, drugged out killing machine.

Although I must admit... I wouldn't mind seeing Northstar as a red-eyed drunken, drugged out killing machine for just a little while!!!

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

Looks good. Damned good.

I don't care about any crap people will try to say about what they're "doing" to his character, Jean Paul hasn't gotten a story arc of his own in years. Let alone one where he gets to be a badass--one with depth, at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Looks good. Damned good.

I don't care about any crap people will try to say about what they're "doing" to his character, Jean Paul hasn't gotten a story arc of his own in years. Let alone one where he gets to be a badass--one with depth, at that.
    So what I posted was crap? Well, here's some more crap...if you haven't noticed...this isn't Northstar's story arc(or his book). Does it make Northstar a badass, that he's killed dozens normal humans and SHIELD agents...or does that make him a murderer? I guess because he's being "Mindcontrolled"...it isn't his fault(not totally, anyway). I don't see him being cooler(or kewler) for it, though.

Dana

I like it. The writers are doing a great job with this arc and I'm enjoying reading it. Sure helps the void when theres no AF current. AF is all I read.

[quote="cmdrkoenig67"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Looks good. Damned good.

So what I posted was crap? Well, here's some more crap...if you haven't noticed...this isn't Northstar's story arc(or his book). Does it make Northstar a badass, that he's killed dozens normal humans and SHIELD agents...or does that make him a murderer? I guess because he's being "Mindcontrolled"...it isn't his fault(not totally, anyway). I don't see him being cooler(or kewler) for it, though.
    Don't be offended Dana, I do not think he was saying that for you. I do think you raise interesting questions and I hope it will be followed. I'm not reading the story but from those few pages, that story really looks good and it's a great chance to see the character get a little spotlight, if not THE spotlight. I don't see those killings as making JP a badass he already is. That just make you see how much harm he could do, if he wanted to and even wolverine could not do as much. But, that do makes him a murderer, and I do hope to see repercussions, because JP already is not really in love with himself, just wonder how bad it will be after that? He is not used to it like Wolvie.

Sylvie, getting back to work
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

I have to ask this....How on earth is Northstar going to avoid being charged with helping to cause the destruction of the SHIELD Helicarrier and causing several SHIELD agent murders AND the murders of over 25 civilians??? Wouldn't he be at least charged with manslaughter dozens of times over(100 years of community service?)....since he was mind-controlled?

The same pretty much goes for Wolverine. Am I thinking too much into this(it IS just a comic book), but Magneto was charged with several murders by an international court, years ago in X-Men(remember?)....why not these two?

Dana

Probably they'll take into account that both of them were brainwashed good guys who have saved more lives than they took. Magneto, however, of his own volition chose to act as a terrorist at every opportunity, never once showing remorse for the people he killed.

I think Mind Control is as good an excuse as any. If someone can get off due to "temporary insanity" surely they can be found not guilty because they were brainwashed. Manslaughter is still requires the guilty party to have been responsible for their actions. If someone can prove they were not responsible, they wouldn't be found guilty.

Ben

You're very probably correct..good points, guys.

Dana

In comicdom it's not likely that many characters would ever go to trial. SHIELD knows Wolverine and Northstar are mind controlled and therefore not in control of what they do. So I guess SHIELD keeps them out of court.

Ever think what that would be like in the real world? A UN organization heavily tied to U.S. politics targeting only some people as criminals and deciding, without any debate, who to leave go?

Is it that far from reality, really?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.