Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About northstar :)

Default About northstar :)

let's talk about Northstar , dont 'you think that for a quebecer nationalist , having an english code-name is quite paradoxical ?

Knowing Jean-Paul's background , it's very surprising

I would assume James Hudson assigned the codnames when they first joined Alpha.

Ben

yes, ok, I can get that but why accept it? JP is not someone to that just obey. I just think it's shows again how he likes to pissed off people, better hurt them first them him. But most of all, I just think John Byrne had no clue as how to give him a francophone codename and he just did not knew how hard it is for a francophone to prononce that damn name!
    Quand l'appétit va, tout va!
    -Obélix

The reality most likely is: John Byrne (an anglais) created a team for an American company, of course the characters will have english codenames. Marketing-wise, it's also easier for the readers who might find a french codename hard to pronounce.
    In the story it could probably be explained that Northstar didn't really care what he was called, as long as he was with his sister.

La réalité est très probablement : John Byrne (des anglais) a créé une équipe pour une compagnie américaine, naturellement les caractères aura des noms de code anglais. Marketing-sage, il est également plus facile pour les lecteurs qui pourraient trouver un nom de code français dur pour prononcer. Dans l'histoire il pourrait expliquer probablement que Northstar ne s'est pas vraiment inquiété ce qu'il s'est appelé, aussi long qu'il était avec sa soeur.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default This should've been about Northstar...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    I would assume James Hudson assigned the codenames when they first joined Alpha.

Ben
    The second X-Men/Alpha Flight 2-issue mini-series "[Blast from the Past"] shows Gary Cody to be a back-biting, underhanded, two-faced SOB...a characterization that was hinted at (unless I'm reading too much into it) through Puck's misgivings back in AFV1# 13. Shaman didn't say a damn thing [directly to Cody, though he spoke briefly to Heather, primarily as her physician] in that scene (I don't recall); I've always thought there was a reason why (unless I'm reading too much into it). While James was training to become "Weapon Alpha," who knows what Jerry Jaxon and Cody did in James' name?

My personal take is James was more involved with Aurora, [I'd like to believe Roger Bochs], Northstar, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Snowbird, but the others---including Puck and Marrina---weren't as connected to him.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

La réalité est très probablement : John Byrne (des anglais) a créé une équipe pour une compagnie américaine, naturellement les caractères aura des noms de code anglais. Marketing-sage, il est également plus facile pour les lecteurs qui pourraient trouver un nom de code français dur pour prononcer. Dans l'histoire il pourrait expliquer probablement que Northstar ne s'est pas vraiment inquiété ce qu'il s'est appelé, aussi long qu'il était avec sa soeur.
    You write french? or it's a translator? Anyway, I like it. Harfang, I'm so happy you joined!!!! :P

That's what I think too. Plus Vega do not sound as good as Northstar. And finding a good codename in french is very hard. But characterwise, how can you explain JP codename? I think you got the link, he just did not care for AF as long as he was with his sister. Being a souverainiste, he don't really recognize Canada authority and just don't care about the team. AT first anyway. But I think he grew to like the people he was working with even if he did not wanted too.

Like I always find funny that Aurora in french is Aurore and Aurore in Québec ring with Aurore the martyr child as seen in this site (vous pouvez aussi lire le site en français):

http://www.canadianmysteries.ca/site...l/indexen.html
    -Obélix

Sorry, but I Have to change the subject(I found the story of Aurore really upsetting).

Is Vega Quebecois(did I spell that correctly?) for Northstar, Sylvie? I always wondered what his name would be in Quebec french.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Isn't "Vega" the official name of the north star?

As for his taking the name, easiest solution might be that Aurora came up with it, thus he accepted it to ingratiate himself to his "new" sister?

There could be a psychological characterization aspect also. The North star is the light in the sky that guides others...Jean-Paul may have liked the name because it implies he is not a follower.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Sorry, but I Have to change the subject(I found the story of Aurore really upsetting).

So you know now it's impossible to see Northstar call Aurora, Aurore like we saw in AF

Is Vega Quebecois(did I spell that correctly?) for Northstar, Sylvie? I always wondered what his name would be in Quebec french.
    No, it's the french translator that named him like that. Word-for-word translation for Northstar would be étoile du Nord, not really a cool codename and very long to say. Véga is another star in the lyra constellation.

And Kozzi, it's a good explaination, but the name is still in english and still difficult to pronounced in french and still not part of a souverainiste mentality.
    -Obélix

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Isn't "Vega" the official name of the north star?.
    Nope, the official name for the north star is 'Polaris' (in the constellation the Little Dipper/Ursa Minor). Vega is the brightest star in the constellation Lyra, closer to the mid-latitudes. but since Polaris is already taken for a code name, Vega works too.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Nah...I say we stick with Northstar.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

[quote="syvalois"]
    And Kozzi, it's a good explaination, but the name is still in english and still difficult to pronounced in french and still not part of a souverainiste mentality.

Just pondering here. Now we are calling JP a souverainiste but is that his real motivation?? I mean, how many sepratists are flight teachers in the US?
    Anyway. What I'm getting at is his tough guy act and all that may be just an act that he has concocted to hide the insecurities he had for being gay at a time that homosexuality was not particularily accepted especially in a predominatly Catholic society. I think that the joining of the FLQ was or I should say, may have been a way for him to get easy acceptance (if for the wrong reason) by endearing himself to the celebrated cause of the time. I think that this provided him an outlet for his aggression also.
    Now... Well Recently ... he teaches at an academy of mutants where he knows he is not judged, but still in a country that would dislike him for being mutant, gay and french. ( Sorry for the generalizations to anyone)

Just pondering. It's also late and I may not have worded this right. That's Life.

JC

Anyway. What I'm getting at is his tough guy act and all that may be just an act that he has concocted to hide the insecurities he had for being gay at a time that homosexuality was not particularily accepted especially in a predominatly Catholic society. I think that the joining of the FLQ was or I should say, may have been a way for him to get easy acceptance (if for the wrong reason) by endearing himself to the celebrated cause of the time. I think that this provided him an outlet for his aggression also.
    Why pin his personality defects on being gay?

The man was orphaned TWICE. The fact that he had retained the surname of the second dead parents indicates he was in some type of orphanage or foster care from the time he was 6 to legal adulthood. Which means no one else adopted him.
    From his perspective, he was "abandoned" by people who should love him for life TWICE and then faced constant rejection in not being adopted again.
    That alone covers most of his emotional baggage, defensiveness and aloofness without any needed explanation in his sexuality.
    And should he have adjusted much better during volume 1? He lost Belmonde in #7, Clementine in Marvel Fanfare circa AF #35, and throughout, was being bullied by Walter and rebuffed by his sister.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Why pin his personality defects on being gay?

The man was orphaned TWICE. The fact that he had retained the surname of the second dead parents indicates he was in some type of orphanage or foster care from the time he was 6 to legal adulthood. Which means no one else adopted him.
    From his perspective, he was "abandoned" by people who should love him for life TWICE and then faced constant rejection in not being adopted again.
    That alone covers most of his emotional baggage, defensiveness and aloofness without any needed explanation in his sexuality.
    And should he have adjusted much better during volume 1? He lost Belmonde in #7, Clementine in Marvel Fanfare circa AF #35, and throughout, was being bullied by Walter and rebuffed by his sister.
    I'm doing it again; I'm agreeing with Kozzi *sigh*... oh well. And that's not including the stuff he's subjected HIMSELF to...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    I'm doing it again; I'm agreeing with Kozzi *sigh*... oh well. And that's not including the stuff he's subjected HIMSELF to...
    I am an adoptee, in foster care for the first two years of my life, and always...often by coincidence as it was learned later, ended up befriending other who were also adoptees. I understand the psych effects well.
    www.kozzi.us