Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Northstar's new look in AoA

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Hmm... None of them people had the healing factor. Realistically? I think it could go either way; but I suggest, based on the LS, that it'd go Sas's way. But why, I hear you ask? Didn't Sas lose in the LS?

Yes, but iirc, Sabes had to sneak attack him to win - which implies he couldn't win a fair fight.

- Le Messor
    "Look, the thing about my family is there's five of us. Marge, Bart, Girl Bart, the one who doesn't talk, and the fat guy. How I loathe him."
    - Homer

Sas would have to be ruthless to beat Sabs, and he was just that in the LS. He knew what he was up against, and knew he couldn't back down. The only thing that kept Sas from taking Sabs down was falling in that trap that Sabs had dug for Windigo. Sas was able to survive that through transforming, which we've seen triggers him to heal. If Sas gave Sabs a chance to let the healing factor kick in, he wouldn't stand up.

Ben

has there been any indication that Walt knew that Creed knew about Aurora? Last I heard, he was just as in the dark as JP was before Creed opened his trap.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Sasquatch/Tanaraq vs. Sabretooth

In a Sabretooth mini-series, featuring Sabretooth, it does make sense that the title character win. This isn't Sasquatch's book. I hear what you're saying.

To me, the original "Sasquatch" is Walter and Tanaraq, combined. Do I believe that Walt/Sasquatch would know the type of person he was going up against? Yes, I do. Do I believe Sabretooth would be able to seriously hurt Walt/Sasquatch in a ruthless fight? Yes, I do. Here is the point where my interpretation of the character deviates from the current version of the "Sasquatch" character: once Sabretooth inflicted enough damage, it wouldn't be just a fight between Walt/Sasquatch, anymore, it would be a fight between Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq, and Sabretooth better hope his healing factor is working at maximum, 'cause an angry GREAT BEAST would be one hellavu adversary.

The only thing worse than Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq is Snowbird/Sasquatch/Tanaraq [you knew that was coming, didn't you?].

But a combination of a full god/goddess merged with Sasquatch/Tanaraq (assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do) would be really big trouble.

Just as semi-caring people, would you need special incentive/motivation/knowledge/whatever to wonder about a sister/former teammate/former lover who needs some looking after? Or do Jean-Paul* and Walt really care about Jeanne-Marie, after all? I think they do...and would've thought about finding her on their own, sooner rather than later.

* Finally managed to get the focus of this thread in here some kinda way.

Default Re: Sasquatch/Tanaraq vs. Sabretooth

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    The only thing worse than Walt/Sasquatch/Tanaraq is Snowbird/Sasquatch/Tanaraq [you knew that was coming, didn't you?].

But a combination of a full god/goddess merged with Sasquatch/Tanaraq (assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do) would be really big trouble.
    Actually, that opens an interesting question: We can assume that Tanaraq can manifest through the FORM, and not just through the host (as in, since both Walter and Narya had both took the beasts form and had him possess them), what would happen if they BOTH took the form. Many of you are gonna think 'wait they did, in AF v.1.23', but hold that thought, since Tanaraq was already in possession of Walter at that point, Narya was pretty much safe from possession. But yet, we've seen that Narya can get possessed WAY easier than Walt (to date, Walt's only been possessed once by Tanaraq's spirit, whereas if Narya is in the form for more than a few mins, Tanaraq tends to take over). We can chalk that up with her being a demigod (a mystical being) assuming the form (in my various researches on the subject of Mythology and Demonology, demons tend to take those with a mystical/psychic background. In fact, that's the how many of the preists/'esses in Cults of Kali in India and Hecate in Greece/Rome were chosen - by how easily they could channel their respective god). However, what would happen if Narya and Walter took the same form at the same time? who would Tanaraq invade first, if at all? Would it be the mystic body that he can enter easily, or the form he's for the most part bonded to? Along the same lines, since, genetically, both Walt and Narya ARE the same person (since Walt IS in Narya's original body - a plot I'd like to see FINALLY resolved), wouldn't that make them equal in that department? Or would that make Walt more succeptable, since a) he has the mystical ties that Narya did (although, supposedly supressed), and b) is the host the Beast is most familiar with?
    On the note of "assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do", I'd think it'd be something he'd not only WANT to do, but jump at the chance, since the Arctic gods are the blood-enemy of the Great Beasts, the chance to not only take one out, but 'convert' them to the Dark Side would probably be the Great Beasts' version of a wet-dream. (You-know-who-you-are, I hope you know how hard it is to remember to spell 'gods' in lower case, based on our 'discussion/arguements' from a few years ago :P)

Also, how many times can I use the '?' button before it decides to quit on me... :P
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Why not have Tanaraq invade both, simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck

Actually, that opens an interesting question: We can assume that Tanaraq can manifest through the FORM, and not just through the host (as in, since both Walter and Narya had both took the beasts form and had him possess them), what would happen if they BOTH took the form. Many of you are gonna think 'wait they did, in AF v.1.23', but hold that thought,... what would happen if Narya and Walter took the same form at the same time? who would Tanaraq invade first, if at all? Would it be the mystic body that he can enter easily, or the form he's for the most part bonded to? Along the same lines, since, genetically, both Walt and Narya ARE the same person (since Walt IS in Narya's original body - a plot I'd like to see FINALLY resolved) [I don't know how resolved this plot-twist will ever be because, to complicate matters even more, Ranaq "transferred" his dying whatever-it-was (spirit, maybe) into a probably-pregnant/soon-to-be pregnant SNOWBIRD, so in effect PESTILENCE not only high-jacked Snowbird's son's power but whatever residuals of Ranaq and Tanaraq were residing in her as well---IMO; at this point, I'd love to know what, if anything, John Byrne would've done with all of this. I bet it would've been good. Garry/Al-Fan]

...On the note of "assuming that's something Tanaraq would want to do", I'd think it'd be something he'd not only WANT to do, but jump at the chance, since the Arctic gods are the blood-enemy of the Great Beasts, the chance to not only take one out, but 'convert' them to the Dark Side would probably be the Great Beasts' version of a wet-dream....

Default Re: Sasquatch/Tanaraq vs. Sabretooth

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan

Just as semi-caring people, would you need special incentive/motivation/knowledge/whatever to wonder about a sister/former teammate/former lover who needs some looking after? Or do Jean-Paul* and Walt really care about Jeanne-Marie, after all? I think they do...and would've thought about finding her on their own, sooner rather than later.
    Aurora was taken right out from under Sasquatch's nose in Wolverine #173. Walt chose to respond to the plane crash involving Heather and Mac, which may have been a part of Weapon X's kidnapping plot.

In Walter's defense, we have to take into account the Aurora MPD. It is reasonable to assume that Walt figured the personalities changed and the newly dominant one did not desire the treatment she was enroute to get. The concern that Walt, J-P and the other Alphas have may not be any more than curiosity as to where Aurora is hiding.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Plot threads, loose ends, stuff I like...

I didn't think of it on my own, it was after Ben brought out Walt's rather stretchable ethics that got me to thinking that maybe, just maybe Walt might feel a little bit guilty for messin' up Aurora/Jeanne-Marie more with his experiment to change her. I don't want Walt experimenting on her again (by AFV1# 28, ALPHA FLIGHT was anything but one-dimensional), and I definitely don't want anybody else messing with her again, just let somebody explore her two/no-more-than-three different personalities (it looks like Frank Tieri picked up the third personality in Weapon X# 22).

My main thought is Walt is easier to subsume now, since his soul is divided between Talisman, Aurora, and Northstar. IMO, Tanaraq would've taken advantage of the opportunity to re-join/save "Sasquatch" during the Sabretooth-Wendigo fight.

Wolverine# 173? I need to get rich just so I can afford all the back issues I've missed. Didn't find # 173, but I did get the first part of the Modok/AIM/AF story (# 142).

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Sabretooth is a big-time assassin, granted...

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Yeah, but at the time of the beating, some people actually knew where she was. I don't really know if anyone would be looking for her, in other words. [This is part of my point: why not? If Jean-Paul really cared about his sister, why didn't he go looking for her? If Walter really cared about her (either as a former teammate, an experiment, or an ex-lover), why didn't he go looking for her? Why is it so easy to manipulate the characters as potentially marketable but so difficult to keep their characterization close to consistent? G/A-F] Since she flew away in Weapon X vol. 2 #22, no one has seen her. So even if JP hadn't knocked Sabes unconscious, no useful information could have been offered. All he could have said would be referring to events long past, since Weapon X vol. 2 #2 publishing date is Dec 2002, and X-Men vol. 2 #163 publishing date is Dec 2004.

So who would win in a fight between Sasquatch and Sabretooth? You're saying Sasquatch if you were the writer, yeah, that's awesome. Well, I think they only went head-to-head once, and that was in the LS, and Sabretooth won. Based on Walt's performance against The Thing, The Hulk and Juggernaut, I'd say Walt should win such a fight, especially when in revenge mode against Jean-Marie's attacker.

Love,
    rplass
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default ...but Sasquatch has The TANARAQ factor

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    Yeah, but at the time of the beating, some people actually knew where she was. I don't really know if anyone would be looking for her, in other words. [This is part of my point: why not? If Jean-Paul really cared about his sister, why didn't he go looking for her? If Walter really cared about her (either as a former teammate, an experiment, or an ex-lover), why didn't he go looking for her? Why is it so easy to manipulate the characters as potentially marketable product but so difficult to keep their characterization(s) close to consistent? G/A-F] Since she flew away in Weapon X vol. 2 #22, no one has seen her.

So who would win in a fight between Sasquatch and Sabretooth? You're saying Sasquatch if you were the writer, yeah, that's awesome. [I don't know how awesome what I would write would be. I can't read, write, or speak French, which is a necessity for Northstar and Aurora, so I would have to cheat with the "translated from the French" dodge, just to let everyone know right up front. I would try (and have to work hard) to make a solid story with hopefully no big holes in it that everybody would quickly spot! G/A-F] Well, I think they only went head-to-head once, and that was in the LS, and Sabretooth won. Based on Walt's performance against The Thing, The Hulk and Juggernaut, I'd say Walt should win such a fight, especially when in revenge mode against Jean-Marie's attacker. [My bet, if someone does it without favoritism, is Sasquatch. G/A-F] rplass
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Default Northstar?!

Hey, hate to break up the wicked Sas thread you got going here (DAMN I need to buy those comics ><), but hold up!

Is Northstar alive, or is he dead? He was killed by Wolverine, last I heard, but was he resurrected by the Hand or something?! Where can I get information on this? My comic book store is useless . . . >< gaaaa . . .

Please somebody help! He's my fav char, I need to know what's going on with him! ^^;

Xx Hatheny @-;-

Who cares about spoilers!! I have Northstar back! Yay!!! Thank you so much for redirecting me!!! ^^ <3

Spoiler space

I was looking back on this thread to see the listing of horrible things that have happened to Alpha Flight members in 2005. Now we have two more events to add:

In New Thunderbolts #11, HoM Flashback is rendered into, uh, some sort of oblivion or infinity or zero-ness, something very bad related to time, space, etc. I think he's dead in the HoM world.

In Weapon X: Days of Future Now #2, Wild Child is incinerated by Sentinels, created by his quondam teammate Madison Jeffries who is exhausted, suffering on a steel gurney with some sort of brain clamp, no less.

Not a good month for the Alphans! Ouch!

Love,
    rplass
    Are you an Alpha Flight Collector?

http://alphaflightcollector.wordpress.com

I didn't so much mind Kyle and Creed fighting in the AOA One Shot, since Kyle started it and could clearly hold his own...but I took offence at the writer going out of his way to portray Kyle as a dog, the title,"Man Bites Dog" Sabie calling him "Man's best friend", communicating with him "On his level" as a dog...Etc, etc, etc.... :P
    He's still a person, no matter what his mental state...if the insane were less than human I'd be in a kennel somewhere...
    For the record I am mentally ill, so I certainly mean no offence...
    "I can't believe this. I actually have a crush on a hologram! I don't know whether I should talk to a psychologist or an electrician!" Kyle, referring to Shard