Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best alpha story outside regular series?

Default best alpha story outside regular series?

i was leafing thorugh some old books this past weekend and came to a realization.

series 2 was very well written and makes series 3 look.......well....i'm not even going to go there.

there was a incredible 2 part book "x-men/alpha flight" written by rabb/cassady that was awesome as far as the story/art/charecterization of alpha flight. by far the best alpha story i have read outside their regular series.

The last time this came up i mentioned that I was quite taken with the two part MTIO story #83/84 (ish). The Thing goes to Canada to enlist Walts help inregards to Bill Foster. AF written well and treated with some respect. They had an innocence about them. A good old fashioned super-hero team. Kinda why Crystar #11 came to mind as I was writing this, old fashioned super heroing and another unwriten chapter in Pucks life.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I like the Puck/Wolverine/Ernest Hemingway story from Marvel Comics Presents and for some weird reason I'm really attracted to the Steve Ditko Machine Man story.

Not that these are the BEST stories, just my favorites.

For me it's ROM. Forget the issue numbers, but they're listed somewhere. May be the only time Shaman was ever treated with respect as a character. It was a really good 2 issue story.

Contest of Champions. Sassy plays a big role for one of the teams in it. One of the great parts is where Beast and Cap'n America go upto Sas. Beast says "So what do they call you big fella?"
    Sas responds "They usually call me Sir."
    And in the the next panel Cap'n A has a thought bubble where in he states "Beast has nothing on this guy."

I really enjoyed seeing Sassy get featured like that.

One of my favorites is the Marvel Team-Up Annual #7. I once wrote up a little note about it that says, "This issue's got it all: Northstar's an arrogant jerk, Sasquatch goes into a berserker rage, Aurora drops into her 2nd personality, Marrina wonders, 'What's a Plodex?', plus more eh's than ever from Puck."

Also, the art is amazing and you get the follow-up to the story in Power Pack #9 and #10.

Love,
    rplass

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    One of my favorites is the Marvel Team-Up Annual #7. I once wrote up a little note about it that says, "This issue's got it all: Northstar's an arrogant jerk, Sasquatch goes into a berserker rage, Aurora drops into her 2nd personality, Marrina wonders, 'What's a Plodex?', plus more eh's than ever from Puck."

Also, the art is amazing and you get the follow-up to the story in Power Pack #9 and #10.

Love,
    rplass
    this one's got my vote too
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I'd have to vote for Rom #56-58, also. And, as I've said already, Black Panther #43; Wolverine #143, 172-173, 179; and X-Men Unlimited #45.

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    One of my favorites is the Marvel Team-Up Annual #7.
    Anyone have an extra copy of this issue laying around? I'll pay or work a trade. PM me, it sounds like a great story.

Default Re: best alpha story outside regular series?

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    there was a incredible 2 part book "x-men/alpha flight" written by rabb/cassady that was awesome as far as the story/art/charecterization of alpha flight. by far the best alpha story i have read outside their regular series.
    Fabulous. If they didn't want to bring back the originals now, but wanted to do "untold stories of Alpha Flight" instead, I'd be ecstatic.

I agree the 2-part Rabb/Cassidy X-Men/Alpha series was wonderful. Good story and beautiful art. I adored it !

And let's not forget the first X-Men/Alpha 2-parter (with Loki), "The Gift". (I wonder if I dare to say that "The Gift" ranks near "Days of Future Past" as an absolute classic? )

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    I agree the 2-part Rabb/Cassidy X-Men/Alpha series was wonderful. Good story and beautiful art. I adored it !
    I agree that this was a great mini. There were certainly continuity errors, such as Snowbird being in the U.S. and not going all death-ish, Northstar's accent being way too strong. Nothing earth-shattering really. I loved the art on both Puck and Sasquatch, and the pannel a couple pages from the end with Locan and Puck having a beer is awsome.

Ben

That series actually did not fit into both X-Men and Alpha continuities by publication date, according to membership of each team. Good story tho.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Philosophical question here: Why is that so many Alpha Flight appearances OUTSIDE their book are outstanding, while the stories WITHIN their own series are often disappointing?

Maybe we shouldn't hope for Volume 4, after all?

Default Heh,

I actually would love to see the alpha flight members moonlight at other places, and would really love to see either pucks doing something. And even though I know that it was a joke, I would seriously love to see marvel teamup: The New Avengers with The League of Super Pets!!!! OMG!!!