Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: best alpha story outside regular series?

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    Philosophical question here: Why is that so many Alpha Flight appearances OUTSIDE their book are outstanding, while the stories WITHIN their own series are often disappointing?

Maybe we shouldn't hope for Volume 4, after all?
    I disagree. I have a lot of fondness for some of these outside appearances, but they're either goofy or way too short and don't compare to the best stories in the regular books.

Default personally,

I think that some of them should take a hiatus and join the new avengers until their series pops back up again.

Default Re: personally,

Quote Originally Posted by SephirothsKiller
    I think that some of them should take a hiatus and join the new avengers until their series pops back up again.
    Actually, I'm surprised there is no Canadian representation in the Avengers (Marrina doesn't count since she was only an honourary member, plus, she wasn't there to represent Canada. Wolverine may see himself as Canadian, but he's more Americanised than anything). The Avengers - an international organisation - has had representitives from almost everywhere (even a Captain Britian/UK), but, to my knowledge, no one represents the nations of Canada, Russia, or China as national institutes.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Black Widow represented Russia for a while and Captain Britain's time with the team was extremely short (2 arcs?).
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

That Captain Britain was horrible anyway, tho I might have been less critical if the character was not usurping the name of an established character.
    Chine doesn't have that many heroes anyway. No complaints that Sunfire has never represented Japan on the team?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    That Captain Britain was horrible anyway, tho I might have been less critical if the character was not usurping the name of an established character.
    Chine doesn't have that many heroes anyway. No complaints that Sunfire has never represented Japan on the team?
    Truth to tell, I AM surprised that Shiro (or anyone else at least from BH6) hasn't at least been OFFERED a place with them (it's a safe bet that Shiro and GoGo would tell them quite graphically where to shove the invitation). As per China, I think it's time to ressurrect Jade Dragon, get him in the Avengers, esp now that the US and China are playing nice(r)

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I liked the idea of Kelsey and thought bringing a new CB into the Marvel Universe was nice, but I would have preferred her take the name Lionheart, Britannia or Britanic - mainly because CB's powers are tied to the land and the original CB had problems when operating outside of Britain (see Excalibur's Inferno issues).

Some more international Avengers -
    Dr Druid (English)
    Living Lightning (Mexican)
    Scarlet Witch (Austrian?)
    Quicksilver (As above)
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Close, Scarlett - Wanda and Pietro are Transian, a fictional state of Southern Romania, born at the base of Mount Wundergore.

Other international Avengers also include:
    Black Panther - King of Wakanda (fictional countryin Africa)
    Namor - Crown Prince of Atlantis (fictional country in the Atlantic Ocean)
    Crystal - Duchess of Attilan (fictional country in the Himalayas)

Then if you wanna get REALLY picky:
    Thor - Crown Prince of Asgard (Extradimentional)
    Sersi - Eternal of Titan (Displaced Terrestrial - the Eternals moved to Titan many millennia ago, but are originally from Earth)

However I still stand by the fact that there is no Canadian, Chinese or Russian representation in the Avengers (Black Widow doesn't count, as she was a Russian defector, and thus doesn't exactly reflect her native country's best interests).

I liked the idea of Kelsey and thought bringing a new CB into the Marvel Universe was nice, but I would have preferred her take the name Lionheart, Britannia or Britanic - mainly because CB's powers are tied to the land and the original CB had problems when operating outside of Britain (see Excalibur's Inferno issues).
    There were holes in the story, and the angst of her children just seemed such a plot contrivance...she can't tell her children who she is, poor her. So let someone else tell them...what an obvious loophole in theat mystical ring.

Starfox and Hercules are also non-American Avengers. I remember Firebird as Hispanic, but can't remember if she was American. Deathcry was Sha'ir (sic).
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Firebird was American, as I recall; from Texas. She was a social worker in her private life. She also had a really cool, streamlined costume at first, before it was changed into some kind of bulky "angel" get-up. I lost track of her after that.

Back to the firebird design. The "Espirita" thing didn't last too long, thankfully. There was a great origin story in Averngers Spotlight, I think #24,
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    One of my favorites is the Marvel Team-Up Annual #7. I once wrote up a little note about it that says, "This issue's got it all: Northstar's an arrogant jerk, Sasquatch goes into a berserker rage, Aurora drops into her 2nd personality, Marrina wonders, 'What's a Plodex?', plus more eh's than ever from Puck."

Also, the art is amazing and you get the follow-up to the story in Power Pack #9 and #10.

Love,
    rplass
    Just read this book last night and I gotta say it's my new favorite. It's mostly an AF tale with Spidey thrown in for good effect. I love the play of NS and Sassy against each other. Very good read.