Poll: Which BOX armor?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which BOX armor is the best?

Default Which BOX armor is the best?

So, what do you think? What did you like about your favorite?

I liked the phasing one (color-wise and slight change in design) but there was something cool about Roger in his chair "zapped" in to the armor.

I was never a big fan of Madison Jefferies as BOX...I didn't like the "powerfullness" and limitless abilities of that incarnation.

What about you?

In a way I really liked the idea of Jeffries Box, but I also found that the armour limited his abilities more than anything else. If he wanted to, he could be darn near as poweful as magneto, but while in the box armour, he could not do anything beyond it. I liked Roger's revamped red Box armour the best, Jeffries version wasn't...boxie enough

There was one more version, of which I was NOT a fan: http://www.alphaflight.net/character..._gallery18.jpg

Ben

one box i liked was a Dave Ross redesign that was only used in a preview in Marvel Age Annual#2. I got him to do a convention sketch and I'll scan it if I find it,

johnny canuck

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    There was one more version, of which I was NOT a fan: http://www.alphaflight.net/character..._gallery18.jpg

Ben

Ugh, that one is HORRIBLE. And I think you're right on about Jefferies and BOX. The idea of someone with a disability using it to be a superhero made him more than he was as a man, but with Jefferies it seemed to contain or limit his abilities.

JohnnyCanuck, would love to see the Ross redesign!

- pjc

Design-wise, I like Madison's original version better - and would love it even more if it was any colour OTHER than s***-brown!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
    one box i liked was a Dave Ross redesign that was only used in a preview in Marvel Age Annual#2. I got him to do a convention sketch and I'll scan it if I find it,

johnny canuck
    If you have trouble tracking it down, I have it from when you sent it to me years ago, along with the Shaman one.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    In a way I really liked the idea of Jeffries Box, but I also found that the armour limited his abilities more than anything else. If he wanted to, he could be darn near as poweful as magneto, but while in the box armour, he could not do anything beyond it. I liked Roger's revamped red Box armour the best, Jeffries version wasn't...boxie enough

Ben
    I never understood why Jeffries would have depowered himself with the Box armor either. Jeffries would be more powerful than Magneto on straight power scales, because Magneto is limited to ferrous metals while Madison can do all metals and inorganics such as plastic and glass.. It would come down to power of wills, and Magneto would win, hands down.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

What I think is funny about BOX is that it was set up so nicely:

Handicapped man that uses his skills to creates a robot so he can help others. Great metaphor.

But then you give him legs, make him all pretty etc. and then kill him.

And THEN a guy who has LOTSA power takes it on and limits what he can do with it. Bad metaphor, but I guess more like real life.

I'm actually very glad they have never brought back Roger Bochs, I think Byrne was the only one that knew how to write him...the others just didn't get it.

- pjc

I always liked Madison in his Box machine. Offense and defense. I often find it silly that most heroes don't just get shot (Cyclops, for example). How exactly could they defend themselves from a hail of bullets. Box can.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Gotta disagree that the Box armour weakened Madison, sure his power was limited by it but he wasn't weakened. Compare Madison sans Box and Madison with Box:

Without: Can be shot stabbed, punched out... in other words: vulnerable to just about any physical attack.

With: Is about as tough as Sasquatch, capable of being hit with just about anything and not be killed.

Without: Average strength for a man of his age, maybe a little above from all the manual labour he's done.

With: Somewhere in the range of Sasquatch, capable of becoming stronger by increasing the size/mass of the robot.

Without: Can shape any metal/glass/plastic into anything he can conceive given the proper amount of material is present.

With: Can shape the armour into anything he can conceive but may need to add material to increase the armours mass.

Without: Can use his power to rip apart items and enemies made of metal.

With: Can use his greatly increased strength to rip apart items and enemies, period.

I was never a big fan of Madison Jefferies as BOX...I didn't like the "powerfullness" and limitless abilities of that incarnation.
    I did. For a change, AF had a character with immense power who knew how to use it effectively. The X-men had Jean Grey, Professor X and Storm; the Avengers had so many I can't name them all, so why can't AF have a suped-up Box?

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_j_clarke
    What I think is funny about BOX is that it was set up so nicely:

Handicapped man that uses his skills to creates a robot so he can help others. Great metaphor.

But then you give him legs, make him all pretty etc. and then kill him.

And THEN a guy who has LOTSA power takes it on and limits what he can do with it. Bad metaphor, but I guess more like real life.

I'm actually very glad they have never brought back Roger Bochs, I think Byrne was the only one that knew how to write him...the others just didn't get it.

- pjc
    I liked Roger Bochs, but I'd rather keep him dead, just because I'm not a fan of resurrections to begin with.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

the Red Bochs looked the best, but Jefferies had the cool powers to make Box a lot better. Tough call.

Definately Jeffries, he was just so ridiculously powerful I couldn't help but love it.

I liked Jefferies' Box armour better than either version of Bochs', but I think it could do better with a different pilot. Jefferies' powers are wasted inside it.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

For me the Red Box suit Roger used was the best design. After Jefferies took over the helm Box became less "boxy" he was smooth and sleek. For me that kinda detracted from his codename. Plus I loved the idea of someone overcoming their handicap and becoming heroic. Roger was a great character. Jefferies was a big hitter once he took over, but for me Box lost its heroic impact.