Poll: Will you buy a book where all the original AF characters are killed?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much will MARVEL spend to kill the old Alpha Flight?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default How much will MARVEL spend to kill the old Alpha Flight?

How much is MARVEL willing to spend to publish the killing of the old ALPHA FLIGHT? What will the print-run be? How many books does MARVEL expect will be bought? Will fans buy multiple copies? How valuable will they be in ten, fifteen, twenty years?

I would ask why so many seem to dislike Scott Lobdell's ANADAF so much, but I don't think I'd really like the answer. GRJ

I've never thought of ALPHA FLIGHT as third-rate Avengers, especially since James had enough courage to go after Wolverine by himself, and the neophyte Alpha Flight fought well against The Uncanny X-Men. I thought Alpha Flight was a good group in its on right, and it was presented that way. Maybe someone will remember the special qualities that first attracted Alpha's following, and appreciate them: Tom DeFalco's MARVEL-TWO-IN-ONE and MACHINE MAN stories; the Roger Stern/John Byrne/Sal Buscema/Alfredo Alcala HULK Annual# 8; the goofy but characterizationally dead-on Louise Simonson MARVEL TEAM-UP Annual; and yes; "THE GIFT."
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

I would buy such a book, simply because I'm an AF completist, and run the site and forum and all. I would be very angry about such a thing, and would most likely be the last marvel book I ever bought. I do not think however that such a thing will happen. They would maybe have a good sell of the the book, but would loose way more in sales in the long run. If they don't want to do anything productive with the characters, I'm sure they would be more likely to leave them in limbo/outerspace than to kill them off.

Ben

I'm going to but 100 copies if Wyre bites the bullet. I have to wallpaper my basement and I think that panel would be the pattern I'm looking for.

I wouldn't want to buy such a book. When is Marvel going to learn that fans want (or seem to want) the original Alpha Flight the most? Killing them off would be the last straw, IMO!

Not much chance of any killing, unless Weapon X DFN has some. Need volume for on line for us.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    I wouldn't want to buy such a book. When is Marvel going to learn that fans want (or seem to want) the original Alpha Flight the most? Killing them off would be the last straw, IMO!
    I agree 100%. I like and want the original Alpha Flight, written-drawn-inked-lettered-colored-and-edited well. It has been done (on pulp paper, no less). It can be done again (on better quality paper-stock). MARVEL doesn't have to listen to me, but I hope they listen to you.

[Actually, I hope MARVEL will listen to me a little bit; at least I wouldn't switch Puck from long-pants uniform to short-pants uniform in the middle of a fight with the Hulk.]

I would buy the book (just like I did the last series, ugh) but do I think it's the best thing? No.

Leave Mac dead. Issue 12 of the original run (as well as 13) was something I will remember forever.

Get John Byrne involved. He is the father, maybe he has nothing else, but whoever does something new would be benefitted by John's insight.

Get back to the core of what the book was. It was a hodge-podge of superheros that were a family. Mix Fantastic Four with the X-Men. I'd buy that book in a second.

(ahem, and give BOX ((the Roger Bochs version)) his own series) Anyone who knows me, knows I just had to say that one

- pjc

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_j_clarke
    (ahem, and give BOX ((the Roger Bochs version)) his own series) Anyone who knows me, knows I just had to say that one
    Maybe they could give Puck his own book at the same time.

*salutes Patrick*

Quote Originally Posted by Michael May
    Maybe they could give Puck his own book at the same time.

*salutes Patrick*
    sounds like a great plan!

- pjc

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

I would buy the book (just like I did the last series, ugh) but do I think it's the best thing? No.

Leave Mac dead. Issue 12 of the original run (as well as 13) was something I will remember forever.

Get John Byrne involved. He is the father, maybe he has nothing else, but whoever does something new would be benefitted by John's insight....

Get back to the core of what the book was (ahem, and give BOX ((the Roger Bochs version)) his own series)... - pjc
    It just seems like getting rid of the original AF is where MARVEL
    wants to go, especially if killing/"killing" NORTHSTAR proves profitable.
    Hope I'm wrong on this. I didn't know that AF was a pariah within MARVEL,
    but if Ed gets the opportunity to write volume 4, I'll support another ALPHA FLIGHT series.

I wish I could be a completist like Ben, but the Mantlo/Mignola-
    Sal Buscema-Ross/Talaoc version (and the crappy, ill-shaped
    lettering) so soured me on AF, that it still turns my stomach to
    think I have to re-read those issues just to get to PESTILENCE,
    a truly superb villian [who should've paid dearly for calling up
    THE GREAT BEASTS].

Roger, the engineer, must have a special gift that allows him to
    phase into his BOX armor. Was it ever explained how Madison
    Jeffries, a metal manipulator, was able to do the same thing?

I wouldn't know what to do with Mac or Heather, to be honest.
    Your suggestion is the most sensible because (to me) if Mac is dead,
    then Jaxon is dead. If Mac is alive---

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Roger, the engineer, must have a special gift that allows him to
    phase into his BOX armor. Was it ever explained how Madison
    Jeffries, a metal manipulator, was able to do the same thing?
    I don't have the issue right in front of me, but I believe Roger built the red version of BOX to only accept his DNA pattern, or something like that. I know there was a specific time that Jefferies "forced" Bochs out of the armor, and Roger was all ticked off because his science couldn't keep a person like Jefferies out.

I know there are VERY specific things I would do with Alpha Flight, and as a specific, something solo with BOX but I kinda get the feeling that Marvel could be just messing with AF just to tick John Byrne off

- pjc

...if Ed gets the opportunity to write volume 4...-
    Forgive a newbie question, but I've seen Ed's name a lot around here as someone people want to see write Alpha Flight. Who is he?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Forgive a newbie question, but I've seen Ed's name a lot around here as someone people want to see write Alpha Flight. Who is he?
    Actually, I should've asked the same thing. Got embarrassed at my own
    lack of knowledge. I will read his AF, if he gets the chance to write it.
    Once upon a time, they exploded from the pages of The X-Men. For a moment, they were "Canada's answer to The Avengers."

They were ALPHA FLIGHT....

...once upon a time.

Ed is Ed Northcott, member of the forum and pro artist. He and a writer friend of his had proposal into Marvel for an AF relaunch that almost got to happen, but Lobdell got his proposal in there and accepted first.

Ed is currently working on a fan-web comic of Alpha Flight, should see some pages popping up before too long

Ben