Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Good Stuff, Post-Byrne

I'm one of the few who -loved- Siegle's work on Vol.2. Sure the conspiracy was drawn out, but the writing was fresh, the stories were interesting, and I for one would have loved to see everything unfold as Siegle had planned.

As an AF fan, I have set in my mind that I will not pick up #11 & 12 of Vol.3...there were far too many lows for me, that I would rate that lower than what Mantlo had done. If Marvel ever decided to retcon anything, I would hope they would do it to Vol.3.

And as far as the rest of Vol.1...it's really been too long since I have read any of those (at least five years), I would be hard pressed to recall anything correctly.

Hmmmm....perhaps a re-reading of all of the issues is in order...

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

When I flipped through New Warriors #1, I didn't think much of the art (good, but not stand-out), but I still loved it. I've respected Nicieza as a writer ever since.

As for his run on Alpha... This is a thread about the -Good- stuff, post-Byrne.

- Le Messor
    "If you can't say anything nice about somebody, kill them. They probably deserve it."

Default damn

I haven't read enough old stuff yet to comment, only a few from vol 1, and some guest apps in other books. (boy, when I finally wrangle me a job I am buying the entire first volume!!!) Now i'm sad.

I actually liked and enjoyed what I read of volume 3. Of course I still havent picked up issues 11 or 12 which are apparently the main reasons that people hated this run. I liked the new characters, I loved the art, and I really didnt mind the tone either. I could have done with a better storyline but I still enjoyed this volume alot more than volume 2, which IMHO was a retread of old ideas from other places, was boring as heck and didnt have great artwork either.

Also not sure if it qualifies as "post-Byrne" or not, but the two issue Alpha/XMen Special "The Gift" (The one where they tangle with Loki) written by Claremont is excellent. One of my favorite all-time Alpha stories.

Quote Originally Posted by The Major
    Also not sure if it qualifies as "post-Byrne" or not, but the two issue Alpha/XMen Special "The Gift" (The one where they tangle with Loki) written by Claremont is excellent. One of my favorite all-time Alpha stories.
    Out of the two AF/UXM limiteds I would have to go with the Loki story as well. The second one was out of continuity and IMHO was stymied by indiferent art. The only problem with the first was that it was diluted a little by Mantlo's AF #50 and his insistence that Sas was at Ungava bay during the Loki thing. Just a little research would hav made all the diference

Oh and BTW, welcome to the forum "The Major', speak loud and speak often
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I just remembered another post-Byrne AF story I liked: Marvel Fanfare #28. It had beautiful art and a surprisingly good Mantlo story, (about Northstar's past).

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I agree with you, Major. Significant diff is, while I -enjoyed- vol3, it just didn't quite cut it for me.

The Gift is one of my fave AF stories, always has been. It includes, for me, the definitive pic of Heather.

The Marvel Fanfare was okay, but doesn't seem to be an in-continuity story; it's never been acknowledged by OHOTMU, for example.

- Le Messor
    "This is exactly how I pictured married life - except we drove around in a van, solving mysteries."
    - Homer

Default X-MEn Alpha Artist

Incidentally, DelBubs, the artist on X-men/Alpha Flight Vol 2 was none other than John Cassaday of Astonishing X-men and Planetary fame! While he is one of my favorite artists based on those too series, I agree his work on XM/AF Vol 2 was not his best. Mainly he just didn't get either Puck or Sasquatch's proportions right, IMHO.

Maddy

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default I liked vol. 3, "continuity" be d*m*ed! As usual

Quote Originally Posted by The Major
    I actually liked and enjoyed what I read of volume 3. ... I liked the new characters, I loved the art, and I really didn't mind the tone either. I could have done with a better storyline but I still enjoyed this volume alot more than volume 2, which IMHO was a retread of old ideas from other places, was boring as heck and didn't have great artwork either....
    I mostly agree. I like a comic book with a little fun mixed in. I liked reading vol. 3, whereas vol. 2 was a chore to read. Outside of THE ZODIAC stealing the Nth Projector for whatever reason and Mesmero having fun at AF expense, it's not easy remembering what went on in the rest of volume 2. AF went to the Microverse and did what? Department H erases AF's memories and what are the consequences? Both Macs are paramilitary flunkies? How consistent is that with the original James Hudson? Sometimes I think MARVEL writers are paid by the word. [Are they?]

As far as the artists on vol. 2, I wish there hadn't been such a merry-go-round between Scott Clark's run and Duncan's run, although there is one stand-out I really liked: Cruz.