Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Good Stuff, Post-Byrne

Default The Good Stuff, Post-Byrne

There seems to be a minor consensus around here that most of Alpha Flight post-Byrne was nothing more than a shoddy bastardisation of Byrne's work. However, we also know there are some great plots, stories and characters in the later series', but we only look at the negative values - Heather donning the suit, the Razaar/Puck angle, the multiple deaths/returns of Mac, the X-Files-esqueness of Volume 2, pretty much ALL of Volume 3.

So my question is: what are the GOOD stuff to come out of the post-Byrne Alpha Flight era? What do you think is the best parts of Alpha Flight in the last 20 years, post-Byrne?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

After Byrne I've always viewed the AF that followed in this way.

Mantlo : Hated most of it, could never go with Mignola's depictions and post #50 the only good stuff to come out was the Pestilence stories. After Mantlo got the team to what he wanted, the storylines for a year or more where pretty good then he lost it around #63. I almost gave up at that point.

Hudnall : The concept was good, but Calimee's art and the discontinuity (sometimes on the same page) didn't really set my heart a pacing and I guess AF came pretty close to being totally destroyed as a serious concept.

Nicieza : A brief, but important tenure IMO. 'Building Blocks' really breathed new life into the team and the stories were enjoyable and palatable. He made the team believable and also managed to re-establish that human aspect that had been missing since Byrne left.

Lobdell : His first run was really good upto that !!! issue, then it got depressing again, I think Marvel editorial really did a good thing getting shot when they did, I don't think Lobdell could really go any where after that.

Furman ; Next to Byrne prolly my fave AF writer, good stories, but hampered by all that Infinity stuff that must have limited what he wanted to do with the team. I would really like to see him do AF again and with Dreamwave having financial problems at present, who's to say he won't one day

Vol's 2&3 I don't consider AF so I won't go into that
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I did enjoy the Dreamqueen saga. It was a servicable story and one I could enjoy. I have to think about the rest though. I sit here thinking to myself "why did I buy it if it stunk so bad?" There has to be a reason.

I did think there were some good post-Byrne stories.

I agree with DelBubs that the Pestilence storyline was good. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it was the best thing about Mantlo's run. As a matter of fact, this particular plot development had the blessing of none other than John Byrne himself! I have the feeling that he would have gone on to do this story himself if he had stayed on the book.

I also liked:
    The two Alpha Flight Annuals of the Volume 1 run
    The Alpha Flight Special with "First Flight"
    The second AF/X-Men two-issue mini-series, (although the first one, "The Gift" still rules!)
    Rom #56 - 58, (and why wasn't Mantlo this good in the regular AF book?)
    Wolverine #143 (with the return of Snowbird -- I was glad to see her back, in spite of the fact that it didn't make sense)
    Wolverine #172 and 179
    Black Panther #43 (with brief but good AF appearance)
    and X-Men Unlimited #45, (with the birth of the Hudson baby -- and will someone PLEASE give her a name?).

Hopefully, someday, we'll get a Volume 4 that will be as good as these issues. Or even better!

1st Flight was interesting. I liked Furman. Hudnall did OK. Up and down the rest were.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    I did think there were some good post-Byrne stories.

I also liked:
    The two Alpha Flight Annuals of the Volume 1 run
    The Alpha Flight Special with "First Flight"
    The second AF/X-Men two-issue mini-series, (although the first one, "The Gift" still rules!)
    Rom #56 - 58, (and why wasn't Mantlo this good in the regular AF book?)
    Wolverine #143 (with the return of Snowbird -- I was glad to see her back, in spite of the fact that it didn't make sense)
    Wolverine #172 and 179
    Black Panther #43 (with brief but good AF appearance)
    and X-Men Unlimited #45, (with the birth of the Hudson baby -- and will someone PLEASE give her a name?).

Hopefully, someday, we'll get a Volume 4 that will be as good as these issues. Or even better!
    The Annuals never did it for me, The Gilded Lily one although reasonable, just had that depressing manlo'ish feel about it. The Savage Land story was pretty silly, although I would have liked to see Alpha Prime put in another appearence, espeacially Avian (or maybe she's Dina Saur in disguise).

First Flight was good and it would have been even better to see 'The Blooding' get an airing, more on Stitch and maybe the ramifications of the death of Elmo.

The other appearences in other books have been pretty good apart from The Generation X ones and 'kaff' 'kaff' 'X-Factor #116' (?) The ones that stand out are the later Wolivie ones, #170 ish and onwards.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

There was lots post-Byrne I enjoyed. Mantlo played havoc with existing characters, messed up thier personalities and backgrounds, but he did creat some pretty great characters of his own IMO. He wrote decent stories, and created good characters, and some great villains. There was some decent to good art over his run too.

After him, Hudnall was pretty green at the time, I liked what he was doing with rebuilding the team, but the art was NOT on his side. Good are with his writing would have made it come across much better.

The Nicieza run was quite good character-wise, and finished what Hud had started with rebuilding the team. Bair's art was ok, though a little dark, and overly T&A, but told the story well enough.

I really enjoyed the lighter side Lobdell's mini-run brought, expecially the Diablo story that brought Weapon Omega into the loop.

I quite enjoyed what Furman did. He wrote some really great stories, and used both the mystical side and techno side of AF, though he missed the fine combination of the two that makes AF unique IMO. I also relly liked Broderick's art, though he did seem to inflate both women's and men's chests

I really liked what Seagle did in Volume 2, and thing that no one gave that series the chance it deserved. The writing was great, some good, some not so good characters, but they all served their purpose with the whole legacy sub-plot. Seagle really had some great things planned, and I would have loved to see them make print. I think his strategic error was dragging the Deparment H. conspiracy out too long.

I really liked Volume 3. No, it really was not AF to me, but after the first issue is saw if more as an AF spin-off than as volume 3. As such I reallly liked it. So long as Lobdell didn't do anything really detrimental to the existing characters, I was more than willing to enjoy the series for what it was. unfortunatly Marvel would seem to have had no desire for this series to last, as they put nothing into it. Had it been marketed as an AF spin-off, I think it could have at lest lasted an other year. Instead it was just put on the shelves, no promotion made, and when old time fans picked it up expeting classic AF, they were dissapointed and pissed off. I didn't like how it ended, but the rest of the run I did enjoy.

There's my 2 bits, off to do more flooring.

Ben

Mantlo's run definitely had it's moments: Pestilence was a highlight, I loved Kara Killgrave's introductory arc, esp the first iss with Northstar (Dave Ross' art helped a lot). I loved Sasquatch's ressurection and the Wanda Langkowski character, esp the divorce court issue. Puck's return and the introduction of Jade Dragon and the Dreamqueen. I guess that's about it.

I've always loved Talisman so I was a fan of Hudnall's focus on the character and the return of Diamond Lil. His run was limited by Calimee's art (though I still remember the beautiful full page splash of tall Puck with angel wings, his best work just as he got canned).

Nicieza: Windshear's introduction. Lil's cancer issue. The alien invasion / Avengers cross-over (You'll notice Mac's resurrection is absent from this list), the FF crossover.

Lobdell: Loved all of his Vol 1 mini-run it except the infamous 106. It was hard to believe it was even written by the same person.

Furman: Sorry, can't think of any part I liked of Furman's run.

In terms of art, I liked Ross, Lee and Haney generally, and Bair had his moments.

Vol. 2 Mesmero's return, Radius's angry teen (though not sufficiently developed), loved Rouleau's dynamic cartoony art especially his take on Puck, the creepy issue 13.

Vol. 3 Sasquatch! The Plodex! Centennial! Clayton Henry!

Of course what I really want to do is b**ch about how much I hated the rest of it but this is the nicey-nice thread!

Madison

LOL, we have b***hy threads everywhere else. feel free to b***h freely there
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

What got me back into Alpha Flight was Hudnall and Calimee's run, every month I always got excited when it was AF's week to come out!

Ahh, the memories...

MM

I very much enjoyed what Seagal was doing. I wanted more of the original team, but I felt like that was coming if only it had lasted. Done too soon. I liked a lot of what Furman did (except for the Infinity stuff, which wasn't his fault). Lobdell's first run was very cool.

Good stuff from the post Byrne Alpha includes:
    Pestilence
    Pursuasion
    Dreamqueen
    Lil's Breast Cancer
    Walt as Wanda (tho it would have been better if it had been explored)
    Heather in the suit
    development of Aurora's light powers to somewhat differentiate her from Northstar
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I loved Hudnall's writing. I really enjoyed #75, and read it several times, quickly.

I love the DreamQueen, Heather in the suit (original), the design of Madison's Box. New Alphans like Persuasion, Windshear, and even Mannikin (I thought he had a great concept).

I liked that Northstar came out of the closet. I loved Jim Lee's art.
    Furman's and Lobdell's writing on v1 came as a relief at the time.

- Le Messor
    "If you can't say anything nice, shoot them. They probably deserve it."
    - me

i liked hudnall too. to bad that he had to be saddled with calimee. truly my least favourite AF artist. Who knows what sales could have ben with someone else.

fabian nutenda was my least favourite writer because i met him at a con and he was berating the book while he was still a writer on it. my opinion of him is very low still. i try to avoid anything with his name on it.

JC

I agree with you about Fabian, as I had the same experience myself.