Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: john byrnes forums

Well, from everything that I have read from Byrne's forums over the past year, I don't hold him in the near-god status I did when I first read his twenty-seven issue run on AF. To me, he's petty, terribly vindictive, and lives in his own fragile bubble of reality where if he's not write, he will berate and ban anyone that disagrees with him.

I haven't checked out the forum lately over there, as I've been way too disgusted by his statements.

Love the creations, dislike the creator.

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

I wonder if the death of Gary Cody in Alpha #52 was another Byrne slam. I was always of the opinion that Brne had modeled Cody after himself anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jay042
    I wonder if the death of Gary Cody in Alpha #52 was another Byrne slam. I was always of the opinion that Brne had modeled Cody after himself anyway.
    I found an old pic of Byrne around the early 80's on the web (just Google 'John Byrne' in the images heading... I lost the pic when I shut down the browser.) He looked like Gary Cody...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    I found an old pic of Byrne around the early 80's on the web (just Google 'John Byrne' in the images heading... I lost the pic when I shut down the browser.) He looked like Gary Cody...
    He's mentioned a friend in back in Canada by the name of Gary Cody....the character isn't based on John, but his friend....Just as Kitty Pryde is based on a college friend, named...wait for it...Kitty Pryde.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    He's mentioned a friend in back in Canada by the name of Gary Cody....the character isn't based on John, but his friend....Just as Kitty Pryde is based on a college friend, named...wait for it...Kitty Pryde.

Dana
    Not saying that Gary WAS based on Byrne, just that the similarities were striking (except that Byrne had a couple extra pounds on Gary)

http://www.dianefarrisgallery.com/ar...ody/index.html

Go here for a glimpse of the REAL GARY CODY. He and Byrne went to college together in Calgary. Gary is a fine artist in his own right and was also responsible for the painted covers to John Byrnes Babe comics and some next men issues as well.

Holy crap, did anyone look at the rules for posting on Byrne's forum? Can you say: "anal retentive, egotistical control freak"?

In order to post in The John Byrne Forum, you must first register an account. We require that you make your login name your real full name (first and last, plus a middle initial if you wish), and that you provide us with your verifiable ISP-based e-mail address (not a freebie webmail address like Hotmail or Yahoo). Before participating in discussions, we ask that you make note of these Rules Of Conduct:

Do not respond to a post addressed specifically to JB until he himself has replied. Wait your turn! (One exception: If JB's answer is already in the
    FAQs, it is okay to post a link -- save JB having to look it up!)
    Don't phrase your questions to JB as answers, as in "Did you paint your house red because you hate blue?" Make it, "Why did you paint your house red?"
    Posts that presume to read JB's mind will be automatically deleted, regardless of content.
    Don't start a new thread just to bash someone or something. Try to keep new threads either positive or neutral. Negative opinions will pop up in abundance, but we don't really need to start there!
    Don't post "answers" to questions unless they are really answers — not guesses.
    Do not cut and paste from other boards. If you feel the comments elsewhere are important enough to be referenced here, post a link.

Do not under any circumstances post links which are automatic downloads!
    Do not start self-promotional threads. This forum exists for the discussion and promotion of the work of John Byrne, not yours. Putting a link to your
    website in your signature is fine, but making a thread about your latest product or service is not.
    Try not to post images which are larger than 600 pixels wide, in order to reduce the need for side-to-side scrolling.
    Please don't repost images from the same thread unless your message is on a different page than the original image.
    If your post is deleted, it is deleted for a reason. The reason is probably such that posting to ask why your post was deleted will only succeed in getting that post deleted. Check these Rules Of Conduct for some general ideas of why posts are deleted. In specific, you will simply have to accept that one of the JBF Moderators has decided your post is inappropriate, and that's the end of that discussion.
    And finally — if it's discovered that you're only here to start trouble, your membership will be revoked without further explanation, at our discretion.
    Membership in the JBF is strictly limited to fans of the work of John Byrne. But ... why would you want to be here otherwise?

I've seen similar rules and regs on other 'I am God' forums. Let's face it: Ben spoils us

I've seen similar rules and regs on other 'I am God' forums. Let's face it: Ben spoils us
    Well there go MY plans for this forum!

[Ben deletes new list of forum rules declairing him ALPHA-GOD]

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Well there go MY plans for this forum!

[Ben deletes new list of forum rules declairing him ALPHA-GOD]

Ben
    Oh Ben, who art in PEI, hallowed be thy name...

[-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

Ben, we bow down before your mighty admin powers.

Wow, Byrne really likes his forums to support him.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67

Dana
    Not saying that Gary WAS based on Byrne, just that the similarities were striking (except that Byrne had a couple extra pounds on Gary)

I was mostly responding to what Jay said above, Allen.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I am SO bummed about John Byrne...or the person that he shows on the web. Here's a guy that I feel showed me that comics were more than just funny-books. AF 1-13 made a great impression on me, and to hear that he just doesn't care is disappointing.

I'm just wondering if he says that about AF because he doesn't think he could ever top it? I don't know...*goes off to re-read 1-13 again*

- pjc

Quote Originally Posted by patrick_j_clarke
    I am SO bummed about John Byrne...or the person that he shows on the web. Here's a guy that I feel showed me that comics were more than just funny-books. AF 1-13 made a great impression on me, and to hear that he just doesn't care is disappointing.

I'm just wondering if he says that about AF because he doesn't think he could ever top it? I don't know...*goes off to re-read 1-13 again*
    With Byrne, I decided long ago to appreciate his work (his good stuff at least) and forget about his personality. If he wants to slam his own creations, that's his business, fact is that I enjoyed them (and still do) and his opinion doesn't take away from that. I have had enough dealings with other comic creators who are genuine nice people, and a pleasure to talk with to take him with a grain of salt.

Ben

That's true. For every John Byrne, there's a guy like Steve Niles, or Robert Kirkman or many others.

Michael May and I are old timers from Steve's board and comics need more people like him. He loves comics, loves what he does and gives much respect to his fans, and his creations.

- pjc