Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your AF "What If??"

What if Puck became Sorcerer Supreme?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

"What if Alpha Flight were annexed by the Avengers?"

Alpha Flight quickly changes it's name to North Pole Avengers, drawn by John Byrne.

What if Alpha Flight vol.1 hadn't been cancelled?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Waht if? Puck spoke Shakespearean English!

What If?...Captain America & Guardian switched teams?
    Steve would be CAPTAIN CANADA and Mac would be GUARDSMAN.

MM

What if ... Wolverine KILLED Alpha Flight?
    (Circa UXM 120)

What if, instead of Reed Richards and the rest of the FF, it had been Mac, Heather, Walter and Puck who flew into space and were bombarded with cosmic rays? What powers might they have had?

What if Sinister worked in Canada? A more lame one.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default What If ALPHA FLIGHT were published with some respect?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    What if ... Wolverine KILLED Alpha Flight?
    (Circa UXM 120)
    Um, ALPHA FLIGHT is supposed to be CANADA's premiere super-group/defenders, plus the original characters are good (and popular), some of the new(er) characters added are good (and popular), and even ALPHA FLIGHT's initial conception (to survive a run-in with UXM) was good, solid, and well-executed, so I don't know what prompted this idea or where you plan on taking it.

But if you just have to bump off somebody, please, please, please have Wolverine kill off MANIKIN/Whitman Knapp, first. [-o< Then have Logan come to his senses before anymore senseless killing takes place! \/

Why would Wolverine want to kill off ALPHA FLIGHT in the first place?

P.S. ALPHA FLIGHT volume 1 should have been put out of its misery long before it got into, let's say, the 30s.

Default Re: What If ALPHA FLIGHT were published with some respect?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    Um, ALPHA FLIGHT is supposed to be CANADA's premiere super-group/defenders, plus the original characters are good (and popular), some of the new(er) characters added are good (and popular)
    I KNOW that, Garry. Preaching to the choir here. However, this IS a 'What If' scenario, so listen up...

and even ALPHA FLIGHT's initial conception (to survive a run-in with UXM) was good, solid, and well-executed, so I don't know what prompted this idea or where you plan on taking it.
    The fact it was well-executed is, as well, moot. What if they had slipped up, Logan went berserk, killing them all? Now, ALpha FLight is a very successfull team, with it's own gallery of rogues. But what if there WAS no AF to battle the Great Beasts, Llan the Sorceror, or the DreamQueen? Who would step up to prevent Canada from being wiped off the map?

But if you just have to bump off somebody, please, please, please have Wolverine kill off MANIKIN/Whitman Knapp, first. [-o< Then have Logan come to his senses before anymore senseless killing takes place! \/
    Why the hell does everyone hate Whit that much? Far as I'm conserned, he's one of the more interesting lesser characters from volume 1.

Garry, I think you are missing the point of this thread: it's 'WHAT IF' - a play on what had happened cannonically, using the laws of probability. In every circumstance, there are at least two possibilities: success or failure, life or death. THAT is what this is supposed to signify.

As for the 'why', I ask, 'why not'? Logan's killed before, what's to stop him for going berserk this time?

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default Re: What If ALPHA FLIGHT were published with some respect?

[The fact it was well-executed is, as well, moot. [Is it? If it hadn't been well-executed in the beginning, you wouldn't have an ALPHA FLIGHT to "What If?" about - GRJ] What if they had slipped up, Logan went berserk, killing them all? Now, Alpha FLight is a very successfull team, with it's own gallery of rogues. But what if there WAS no AF to battle the Great Beasts, Llan the Sorceror, or the DreamQueen? Who would step up to prevent Canada from being wiped off the map? [WITHOUT ALPHA FLIGHT TO STOP/THWART THE GREAT BEASTS (whom I'm familiar with), LLAN THE SORCEROR, OR THE DREAM-QUEEN, MY GUESS IS THAT CANADA (and probably the rest of the world) WOULD BE MONKEY-STOMPED. GRJ]

Why the hell does everyone hate Whit that much? [What has Whit ever done? And I hate SCRAMBLE even worse. GRJ] Far as I'm conserned, he's one of the more interesting lesser characters from volume 1. [I can respect that. I think he's a badly-conceived, badly-executed, useless character; he can't do what Shaman did, can he, so really what good is he? GRJ]

Garry, I think you are missing the point of this thread: it's 'WHAT IF' - a play on what had happened cannonically, using the laws of probability. In every circumstance, there are at least two possibilities: success or failure, life or death. THAT is what this is supposed to signify. [Probably did miss the point. The statement above doesn't help clarify things any better for me, either. What if ALPHA FLIGHT were published with some respect and consistency? That should be within the laws of probability, too. GRJ]

As for the 'why', I ask, 'why not'? Logan's killed before, what's to stop him for going berserk this time?[/quote] Well, this was a really bad sticking point for me, way back when Byrne started his run on UXM, so if folks are cool with the habitual killings, the casual murders, the senseless violence and want to inject significant meaning into all of this, be my guest. Has comic readership gone up or down since this has become the vogue? GRJ

why the hell am I trying to defend myself here? I have no need to. it's a 'what if' scenario. It has nothing to do with retconning the damn characters, just seeing a different play of events, ala the ORIGINAL 'What If..?' series, where good concepts where twisted. If you don't like, good for you and tough tiddly-winks. I'm not going to be beaten down because you don't like one of my suggestions. It was a suggested interesting plot twist.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    why the hell am I trying to defend myself here? I have no need to. it's a 'what if' scenario.... just seeing a different play of events...I'm not going to be beaten down because you don't like one of my suggestions. It was a suggested interesting plot twist.
    Believe it or not, I don't intend to beat anyone down. I'd just like to know the rationale behind this scenario because I've never much liked the concept of "What If?," I do like ALPHA FLIGHT, I don't know what "retconning" means, and this exchange is not personally taken or personally given. GRJ

Quote Originally Posted by Garry/Al-Fan
    I'd just like to know the rationale behind this scenario
    the rationale is to exposite an alternate history line, one where one thing went drastically different and see where that history leads. This specific scenario is to exposite a scenario of what would the world be like if Alpha Flight had never existed to do all the good they had done. Who would take up the mantel of taking on the Great Beasts in AF.1.1 and 1.24? Without Shaman, who would give Elizabeth the Talisman so that she could fulfil her destiny, and take on Llan? Who would stand up to the Master as he abducted Marrina (remember, in UXM 120, Marrina and Puck were still with Beta Flight, thus not on the mission)? THAT'S what I'm suggesting.

because I've never much liked the concept of "What If?,"
    Then why are you paying attention to this thread?!

I do like ALPHA FLIGHT
    We all do, that's why we are here. the fact that I suggested this scenario doesn't mean I don't like AF. I LOVE AF. But I also know that, if they never existed, the world would be a VERY different place...

I don't know what "retconning" means
    It means altering the past (preferably to coinside with a) natural history and b) cannonical history within the series - tho many writers throw out the second one out the window at their whim) to introduce new, unrevealed information about a character. An example of this would be Manto's retcon of the Puck character in AF.1.32, where he showed that Puck is really a 6' tall geezer with a demon inside him that makes him short and younger. Before, no one even considered it, just thought he was a regular dwarf with acrobatic abilities.

What If Major Mapleleaf joined AF before V3?
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.