Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If there is an Alpha Flight volume 4....?

Default If there is an Alpha Flight volume 4....?

....What characters would you like to see? How would you like it presented?

I would like to see the classic team back, (from space or wherever), with some of the more recent characters added (such as Lou and Zhuzha), and maybe a few new ones as well. And I'd like the tone to be serious, (though a humorous scene or two would not be out of line -- but the whole series shouldn't be one long joke!).

And I wouldn't mind seeing a back-up team made up of some of the originals' children, with the classic team training and advising them. Get Talisman back! Let's meet Walter's son! Bring back the Hudsons' daughter! Revive Snowbird's son! And how about Lou and Zuzha's son? And Marrina's son? (What a pipe dream -- Alpha Flight, the Next Generation?) BTW, could someone name these Alpha kids? Most of them don't have names!

Puck and Puck II, Sasquatch, Nemesis, Vindicator, Guardian and Major Maple Leaf to be the main team.

But I would't want all heroics in V4, the team should build more on their ANAD base and (as said above) start training the next generation of Canadian super heroes - kinda of like early X-Factor.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

the originals (with northstar and talisman and no heather in a suit)

I would go with Heather as Vindicator (leading the team)...James as the head of a new (non-conspiracy driven) Department H. I would also like to see Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Puck to be the other members of the team. As far as the tone, I think that it should be serious with some slight injections of humor. The way the last series ended (just hearing about it), makes me wonder if I really want to pick it up...

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic
    I would go with Heather as Vindicator (leading the team)...James as the head of a new (non-conspiracy driven) Department H. I would also like to see Snowbird, Northstar, Aurora, Sasquatch, Shaman, and Puck to be the other members of the team. As far as the tone, I think that it should be serious with some slight injections of humor. The way the last series ended (just hearing about it), makes me wonder if I really want to pick it up...

-Mystic
    I like how you think, Mystic....I'd like to see Heather take the name Guardian once again, though.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I'm not so sure about the 'Guardian' name. I've always associated it with James, and think that Vindicator is a better fit for her general personality during her tenure as leader of the group. Although (truthfully) I would read it even if her name was Majorette Canada if it meant that she was in charge.

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Hell... how often have I gone over this? Should I ever get a crack at it, my preference would be:

• V1 team restored; iconic characters played up as straight super-heroes. No loveable losers, no dysfunctional screw-ups barely holding on... super-heroes. World class.
    • Character driven stories. Successful and competent characters do not equal boring characters. If that nonsense were true, Tom Clancy would never sell a book and nobody would give a damn about movies like Gladiator.
    • James as Guardian, Heather leading Department H. James has a definite edge over Heather with the suit, but she's a more formidable personality when ticked off and has a better head for organization. The bonus to this is that they both end up leading the team, effectively, and fighting with Department H when it comes down to red tape. Heather gets to be strong without indulging in stereotypes.
    • Snowbird's Inuit origins would be explored, leading to more epic adventures for the team.
    • Old villains utilized more effectively (e.g.. the Master) and new epic scale villains providing new challenges. New to the team, that is, but old to the MU: Doctor Doom playing political games, the Hulk on a northern rampage (is he still crazy Hulk, or has he gone rational again?), Hydra digging in where they think they won't be touched, etc.
    • Alphans training a next generation, allowing for infrequent appearances of characters who weren't necessarily fan favourites but have their own little followings.

Etc, etc.

Classic Team, Heather as Guardian, Mac as administrator in Department H
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I've siad this fifteen times from sunday, but here we go again: Primarily classic team (including Talisman - I consider her, Puck and Marrina as Classic members, mostly because she was the last addition to the team before Byrne buggered off), with some additions from later incarnations: preferable members to join are - Flex and Ghost Girl (the only ones from V.2 who had potential), Zuzha and MAYBE MML (the only new guys from V.3 worth keeping), and Earthmover (there is a LOT of potential with him that ppl are just ignoring because they know abolutely nothing about him). Nemesis as a reserve member (she's not exactly a team player, but would come in when her expertise - whatever it is - is needed, or they need the extra arms, at her discretion, ofcourse). Occassionally members of the old Beta/Gamma flights or the other V.2/3 characters would come in but mostly as cannon fodder.

Villians: too many classics to let go - Master, Deadly Ernest, Great Beasts, DreamQueen - but mix in some new villians from the rest of the MU, as well as create some for their rogue gallery, just to mix it up.

As for the Heather/Mac debate - I'm still on the fence.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I'm beating a dead horse:

Hudsons in Admin, Puck as team leader, Sasquatch, Shaman, Zuzha, MML, Box (though with his WX state of mind...), Windshear, and maybe Talisman or Witchfire. I'd maybe put in Aurora and Snowbird at some time. Maybe.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

In a perfect AF world for me the line up would look like:

Heather in the suit, Mac in the office/ lab.
    Puck (Judd)
    Sassy
    Jefferies and a new Box armor
    Talisman (because Earthmover does nothing for me)
    Yukon Jack
    Aurora

A boy can dream...

My Alpha would look like this....

Heather as a liason/director handling the diplomacy.

Mac as the engineer/talent development. I see him running the training simulations and analyzing data to improve the team. I can see him coming to Sas with stats like, "You swing with your left fist first in 72% of your attack sequences. Try leading with your right more often to throw off the opposition."

Eugene Judd - renamed and geared up in a Guardian suit. Call him Canuck-half Canada and half Puck! I think he'd make an excellent field leader.

Sasquatch - strong man! And I do mean Sas strong!

Talisman - mystic uses medicine pouch and speaks with spirits.

Snowbird - I like Ed's Inuit angle. His visual for her is pretty stunning also.

Flex - chop suey!

Puck - unstoppable bouncy bartender!

After that it's all filler. Shaman is the team physician and keep Manikin around to fetch him scalpals and things.

Utilize others in a Beta/Gamma capacity, developing their abilities. Pathway could be very useful in spots, but I wouldn't use her often. Persuassion and Murmur might make for an interesting story down the line if the both tie in to the Purple Man somehow. From the way he speaks in the latest T-bolts, he could be everyone's daddy!.

For Omega Flight I'd like to see a Maddison Jefferies, Aurora, and Wildchild. For that matter Persuassion could be thrown in here, since she narrowly escaped the death sentence due to favorable coloring. Could make for some interesting dilemas. Do I use lethal force, or try to rehabilitate my old friend? Do I use lethal force and kill Mac for the 4th time or do I just cripple him this time?

You get the idea. I think humor is OK some of the time, but Alpha should be no one's joke. They should be mopping up villains. For the record I love the idea of Hydra trying to set up shop, thinking Canada will be easy pickings. They could even base that assumption on past volumes of Alpha Flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    For Omega Flight I'd like to see a Maddison Jefferies, Aurora, and Wildchild. For that matter Persuassion could be thrown in here, since she narrowly escaped the death sentence due to favorable coloring.
    Not just a coloring error...the artist completely drew the wrong character(Sienna Blaze...a far cry from Persuasion)...LOL.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Default Or in case there is no version four.

I actually think, that sasquatch instead of being in alpha flight, would do amazingly well in his own comic. I can guarentee a few flashy covers by marvel and he would have an instant cult following. I mean, what character can be described as a combo of sabretooth, beast, and wolverine? And, at the same time, bigger than all of them. Sass is awesome and if everybody else was vamped, then i would only want to see him, and his various interactions with the marvel universe. Thats where he would flourish, coming in and out of the struggles of various teams. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing, in case the volume four never comes, maybe Zuzha, and Mape go to new teams as well, off and on the new avengers or something, who knows. Its all just guessing and heresay for now. sigh

Could work, but such characters tend to do better in team books. The atypical "brick" tends to play strongest in a team setting, having other character types to interact with. Not to say he couldn't make a decent run of it -- the Thing pulled it off for quite some time.