S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

It's one thing to have the latest series ending in such a craptacular way but now we have Northstar being offed by Wolverine. WTF! I was never a big fan of the character but this is getting to be rediculous. Writers all over are taking the AF characters and destroying them. Jefferies loses his mind & Wild Child gets turned into some devilish looking freak and now when they have to kill someone the choose NS.

I give up.

I agree Walk. What with the massacre that was vol.3, Northstar getting eviscerated (I've explained in other places why this doesn't piss me off as much as it should), Maddie going cuckoo, Kyle going Nosferatu, and Aurora getting ignored by everyone outside of WX, once again, AF's getting the royal shaft, beaing treated as everyone's 'in' joke or punching bag. I'm not overly amused.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Given a lot of the character's history, I always found it reasonable that Madison Jeffries would be brainwashed. He is someone who dealt with his powers by ignoring then and denying them and digging ditches for a living. We all want to believe every hero is too strong willed for that, but law of averages would indicate that can't be true.
    The Weapon X brainwashing IS on TOP OF the Zodiac brainwashing, begun by Steven Seagle in #2
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Given a lot of the character's history, I always found it reasonable that Madison Jeffries would be brainwashed. He is someone who dealt with his powers by ignoring then and denying them and digging ditches for a living. We all want to believe every hero is too strong willed for that, but law of averages would indicate that can't be true.
    The Weapon X brainwashing IS on TOP OF the Zodiac brainwashing, begun by Steven Seagle in #2
    He has the cleanest brain in Marveldom
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

thought he had AIDS!!!!

SHYT HE WAS DEAD ALREADY!!!!!

Nope, turns out he went *kaff* *kaff* a lot cos he was a human faerie hybrid, or not as it turned out to be. He was going to have AIDS, but Marvel backed out, Mantlo came up with the faerie story and that was dropped. Aurora gave him some of her light and he got all better again.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Considering that Marvel has since established the Legacy Virus as the mutant equivlant of AIDS (which according to Chuck Austen, mutants can't contract it) It could be retroactively suggested that Jean Paul might have been the first victim. It was Aurora's first manifestation of her healing powers that saved his life.

I don't think he was ever MEANT to have AIDS...it was all set up for Mantlo's joke that he had a "fairy disease"
    lol...not
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Actually, he was meant to have AIDS but Marvel backed off. Mantlo came up with a bad idea to 'explain it away'.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Um, you were collecting Alpha Flight back then?
    Why do you have so few copies of the back issues now, as you reported in other posts?

If you read issues #29 thru 50 consecutively, after reading Byrne's work on the title, you see clearly how the tone of dealing with the homosexuality changes radically. Byrne's approach was quiet, and extremely subtle...as another poster put it on a thread,,,"excellent all-ages writing."
    From the get-go, Mantlo turned Byrne's light and subtle humor to obvious and often derogatory, stereotypical jokes. Byrne's Walt-hating Northstar turned into a sensitive man crying with his sister because he too supposedly loved his sister's boyfriend, which spread to the "gay must love every man, straight or not because he would prefer all males on the team to wear form fitting costumes, to the big joke of getting ill from the kiss of a man (pestilence, and Mantlo was so eager for this joke he referred to the kiss in an issue published BEFORE the event happened) to a big joke "Next issue: Northstar's got a girlfriend" to the final delivery of the "fairy disease" joke.
    If my memory serves...as someone collecting the issues as they came out and talking in the comic shops at the time and reading the trade mags, the ONLY way AIDS directly influenced how the Marvel Corporation dealt with the company is in the 1980's they decided not to out the character for the AIDS-stigma that was synonymous with male homosexuality, and later encouraged #106 because the AIDS crisis did much to prove gay men as a demographic that could be marketed to.
    www.kozzi.us

Byrne's approach was quiet, and extremely subtle...as another poster put it on a thread,,,"excellent all-ages writing."
    I stand by that comment, and maintain it's not only the best way to tackle most super-hero comics, but such sensitive issues in particular. I'd call it quiet compassion, but with some of the comments we've seen from Byrne since then... well...

but with some of the comments we've seen from Byrne since then... well...
    Couldn't remember who had said or in what thread, I just new it was recent.
    Byrne's less than all ages comments included those made while he was still writing the series. I rmember specifically his anecdotes about convention questions of who was going to die in #12, and his response was "not the Indian or the fag." Shock value comment, made verbally, where he could defend himself if necessary when they were made. Maybe that's what he truly feels about it, but if so, non of his antipathy reached the published pages, and he always dealt with it with more tact in interviews.

This is direct opposition to Mantlo's attitudes that came across in the published pages. I would remark about Mantlo's stances taken in other arenas such as conventions, but to the point of my above post: I don't know of any so am therefore unable to say anything about them.
    www.kozzi.us

but with some of the comments we've seen from Byrne since then... well...
    Couldn't remember who had said or in what thread, I just new it was recent.
    Byrne's less than all ages comments included those made while he was still writing the series. I rmember specifically his anecdotes about convention questions of who was going to die in #12, and his response was "not the Indian or the fag." Shock value comment, made verbally, where he could defend himself if necessary when they were made. Maybe that's what he truly feels about it, but if so, non of his antipathy reached the published pages, and he always dealt with it with more tact in interviews.

This is direct opposition to Mantlo's attitudes that came across in the published pages. I would remark about Mantlo's stances taken in other arenas such as conventions, but to the point of my above post: I don't know of any so am therefore unable to say anything about them.
    Byrne's comment sounds as if he were saying just to be offensive...using two terms that are viewed as offensive. Did he say it to be intentionally un-PC(being PC wasn't big until the nineties, anyway...not that he's into being PC or anything)and funny?

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I remember tidbits from back in the day, with a memory freshening over the past year from Byrne's site. His tone in the recounting of the tale/s seemed to indicate he was going for funny shock.
    www.kozzi.us