Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Wolverine #25 *SPOILER*

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    he will come back as a heterosexual american
    You can tell she's Quebecois by the distinct aura of evil that permeates her every post. :P

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    he will come back as a heterosexual american
    Could you imagine Miller approaching Marvel with this?

MM: So I want to kill an X-Man for my big Wolvie story.
    Marvel: Which one?
    MM: Northstar
    Marvel: He's an X-Man? I thought he was Alpha Flight?
    MM: He is, but Chuck made him an X-Man in his last arc. Theres no need to worry about it though, I'm bringing him back the next issue.
    Marvel: Hmmm, but what about our "dead is dead" policy.
    MM: You let Joss get Colossus. And anyway get this - he comes back as a straight american!!
    Marvel: Damn, thats a great idea! The fans wont see that coming!
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men. At one time, the X-men were known for consisting of diverse characters from numerous cultures. It never made sense to me that no one ever introduced a gay character. Of all comics, the X-men would seem to be the one most likely to successfully handle such a "controversial" character, yet no one had the gumption to do it. Now that someone finally made the move, they kill the character off. My feelings on the character of Northstar aside, I think it was a bad move.
    Yeah, but isn't that the point: In life, people die. Regardless of their race, status or, in this case, sexual preference.

I agree, the X-Men have had many diverse characters. However, thinking back to the ANAD X-Men, I can't imagine that Marvel hesitated to kill off Thunderbird because he was the only Native American on the team. I'm sure an 'Indian' superhero was controversial at the time.

I haven't followed much of Northstar's appearances in the X-Men titles, but I hope that his death in Wolverine was also relevant to the story and not simply for shock value. Both Millar and Bendis have said they were surprised at the characters Marvel allowed them to kill (apparently, Bendis was given an "okay-to-kill" list for Disassembled) but I don't believe that should mean death for death's sake.

Using Jean Grey as an example, how much shock value did her most recent death have? Most readers, I imagine, are pretty indifferent to it and expect her return in the near future. Now, compare that with her first death.

Northstar - RIP.

-Mike

Ps. Has Frank Tieri mentioned what effect, if any, this will have on Aurora in the Weapon: X mini?

Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men.
    Not to in any way defend Marvel, but Karma is still around, though to call her a background character is to be extremely generous. Of course, Karma is now the only confirmed homosexual in *any* of the Marvel books.

Suzene
    What about Honey Lemon and Sunpyre in Big Hero 6?

Ben

Well....Sunpyre is supposed to be dead too...she was murdered by the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants(or Mystique) in Uncanny X-Men(around the same time/or in the same issue as Radius).

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

So, basiccally, we can sum up Marvel Corporate policy to homosexuality in their books (this week) to kill the homosexual men, but lesbians are ok because they can be fun to watch?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    So, basiccally, we can sum up Marvel Corporate policy to homosexuality in their books (this week) to kill the homosexual men, but lesbians are ok because they can be fun to watch?
    This week?

wtf? *shakes head* I'm so with beetle on this one...this sucks.
    Hell was full, so I came back.

Actually Beetle said it stinks....I said it sucks...you're mixing up the gay boys. LOL.

It really does stink and suck both...however, there's always the chance they'll resurrect him?

Dana

sorry mate...I got flumoxed when Ben im'ed me with it. It does blow...hard core...I'm dying to see what happens when it comes out on Wednesday. (the issue of doom)
    Hell was full, so I came back.

at least he has to be shown on screen to die. ya know? and then he gets to come back at some point in time. which means that he actually has to appear in a comic and story might have to be written. so.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    When do we get a Northstar avatar with a halo over his head?"
    How's this ?

Ben
    Nice job! Thank you sir.

Does anyone have a scan of the page where JP gets ripped into? I'm smelling another avatar...

I'm REALLLLY hoping this is not one of those stories where the writer wants to tell us that not all heroes return from death. You know, the kind of story where Wolverine and Elektra get resurrected, but Northstar doesn't.....someone(or captions) at the end saying..."Not all heroes can escape death." Or some BS like that. As it is, because of the recent craptacular Alpha Flight...If I ever meet Scott or Jo(k)e(Quesada)...their going to get a nice hard kick to the groin....I don't want to have to injure Miller too....LOL.

Dana

"I assumed Marvel would say no way when I suggested killing him. Also, in these PC times, killing off the one well-known gay character might be frowned upon. But they were cool about it."

I don't believe that Miller is homophobic - HOWEVER, I believe that Marvel are more than happy to see the back of Northstar. When he was bought into the X-Men apparently Austen had big plans to give him a boyfriend etc but Marvel said NO because they had some sort of new policy when it came to gay characters (hence the fact that Karma has been stuck in a library with no "screen time" for the last eight months!). Northstar then got shunted off to the sidelines where he's remained ever since. This is pathetic. No wonder Marvel were cool about him being killed off - they were probably rejoicing! Problem solved.

Problem is for ever letter of protest they may get they will probably get ten more congratulating them for finalling "killing the faggot".

At the end of the day if you're gay and you see the one and only gay male character in the Marvel Universe get killed off you are going to be more than a little p*ssed off. If the table were turned and all the characters were gay in the Marvel Universe apart from one and they decided to kill off that one character, wouldn't you be p*ssed off too????

Quote Originally Posted by beetleblack

Problem is for ever letter of protest they may get they will probably get ten more congratulating them for finalling "killing the faggot".
    I'm not so sure that will be the case. In the 13+ months this forum has been active, there has been 1 person expressing opinions like that. Reading other forums and discussion groups, opinions like that are definately in the minority. On the other hand, everywhere I look, people are upset about this decision.

I am starting to think that we will see him back before long, and assume that it was long a part of the plans. Northstar becomes an agent of the hand, and we get a great opening for a new AF series A new Omega Flight threatens Canada, Northstar, assin of the hand, Aurora, crazy as a loon, clinging onto her assin brother, Jeffries, cracked from everyone mucking with his head, Wildchild, also messed up from Weapon X, lead by, and mental strings pulled by General Clarke (Scorpio of the now shattered Zodiac), seeking revenge

Ben