Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Wolverine #25 *SPOILER*

I'm going with the majority here, I believe Northstar is going because he's underused and the repercussions of his death will have bearing for months to come, given the history Wolvie has with both him and Alpha.

Suzene raised some very good points in her post, but I guess we are just going to have to differ, but that doesn't mean I don't respect her position. I personally don't believe that Marvel are overtly or covertly pursuing some kind of homophobic agenda. Given the amount of gay readers it would seem to have, it would be financial suicide to alienate them. As for Mark Millar, he's outrageous and controversial, but never to my mind homophobic in any size shape or form. Every now and again the MU needs a shake up, a major incident to get the readers buzzing and buying books they wouldn't normally. I don't normally read Wolvie, but I shall be picking up #25 and a few issues after to see where this goes.

As for Northstar, I have always considered him my least favourite original Alphan, however his demise saddens me, but I do expect his return, I mean this is Marvel.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

They just killed off the only male Quebecer! That's not fare! ....oh, and gay too, but that's not as important. They killed the Only male Quebecer! Now, I'm just left with one crazy quebecer Bravo! =D>

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    They just killed off the only male Quebecer! That's not fare! ....oh, and gay too, but that's not as important. They killed the Only male Quebecer! Now, I'm just left with one crazy quebecer Bravo! =D>
    It's Marvels anti-Quebec policy and Millars a Quebecophobe
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

What about the other Northstar from the past? Then there's the other Aurora....so we're stuck with two crazy female Quebecers and one male gay quebecer.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    No dear, "weak" was penning that 1000-word polemic on the mass right wing conspiracy to systematically murder gay crime fighters.
    Even a thousand words that no one agrees with have more merit than any variation on "shut up and sit down".

Honestly, if you think the character's sexuality factored that heavily in the decision to kill him rather than, say, Cyclops. . . Well, you need take step back and seriously re-evaluate your world view, if not just your. . . unique opinions on the comic industry.
    Hardly unique, just not yours and in the minority where this particular event is concerned, but that was expected.

I have heard the theory that the reason Northstar was chosen was because he and Wolverine share a mutual past in Alpha Flight and so Northstar would have the greatest emotional impact out of those characters able to be put up on the chopping block. It's not an idea without merit, but it also comes across as fairly forced. In all of the instances where the X-Men and Alpha Flight have crossed paths, Wolverine's strongest connection has been with Heather and Mac. Wolverine and Northstar have hardly even seemed to like each other in any of those instances, certainly not close, and, if how he resigned is any indication, Wolverine wasn't overfond of his time in Alpha Flight to begin with. The majority of the mansion inhabitants, however, are people that Wolverine has laughed with, shared beers with, taught, and generally formed more bonds of love and friendship with with than he did any of the Alphans (barring the Hudsons, of course). I don't mean that to sound like Logan wouldn't give a damn about gutting Northstar, I just don't think the theory stands up very well.

Here now, stop that! No making me laugh when I'm trying to rant!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    What about the other Northstar from the past? Then there's the other Aurora....so we're stuck with two crazy female Quebecers and one male gay quebecer.
    So why not just gut the spare instead of the one with an actual history?

*snickt!*
    "Northstar, nooooo!"
    "Que?"
    "Dude, WTF?"

Suzene

Suzene wrote:
    Wolverine and Northstar have hardly even seemed to like each other in any of those instances, certainly not close, and, if how he resigned is any indication, Wolverine wasn't overfond of his time in Alpha Flight to begin with.
    I agree with that bit entirely. Northstar was the last of the originals to join, and if I remember correctly, Mac introduced him to Aurora alone. It is possible that Northstar and Wolverine never even served Alpha at the same time.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by suzene
    So why not just gut the spare instead of the one with an actual history?

*snickt!*
    "Northstar, nooooo!"
    "Que?"
    "Dude, WTF?"
    Comedy gold.

I've almost got this sneaking suspicion that the continuity-screwy AF will go boom, and the original Alpha will become the ... they'll be... that is... Alpha will be Alpha.

Goddamn time-travel arcs!

I've a hunch that we'll eventually see a mess to try and rectify the dopplegangers running around. Personally, I see it as a prime opportunity to smooth out continuity, having our cake and eating it too with the iconic Alphans returned to their default state without either invalidating them or removing the years of their stories.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    I agree with that bit entirely. Northstar was the last of the originals to join, and if I remember correctly, Mac introduced him to Aurora alone. It is possible that Northstar and Wolverine never even served Alpha at the same time.
    You know, thinking on it, it's not like they've exactly been buddy-buddy since Northstar got hauled into the X-Men either. I think the most time they've spent together on-page was when Jean-Paul had to carry Wolverine back to the mansion after the Parrot Wolves of Doom worked Logan over. (There are not enough rolly-eye smilies in the world to cover that storyline...)

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott
    I've a hunch that we'll eventually see a mess to try and rectify the dopplegangers running around. Personally, I see it as a prime opportunity to smooth out continuity, having our cake and eating it too with the iconic Alphans returned to their default state without either invalidating them or removing the years of their stories.
    We've secretly (or damn near close to secretly, considering the sales) switched out original Alpha Flight for new Doppleflight. Let's see if our readers notice the difference.

Really, though, I don't know if anyone besides Lobdell is going to give enough of a damn to do anything with DoppleFlight. And it's not like the huge, candy-like reset button helped when Larson tried it.

Suzene

Speaking of Doppleflight, what ever happened to Evil Alpha Flight from Infinity War? Perhaps they could come back as well and then we could loads of different Alpha Flights
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Evil Alpha? Oooooh, I missed that!

An Alpha war, winner takes all! Or Kang shows up (again) and a royal rumble of cross-times ensues, with the real Alpha emerging victorious! (Which ever Alpha that may be)

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlettspiderg
    Speaking of Doppleflight, what ever happened to Evil Alpha Flight from Infinity War? Perhaps they could come back as well and then we could loads of different Alpha Flights
    They eventually turned into a pile of writhing tentacles like the rest of the marvel dopplegangers .

Ben

Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men. At one time, the X-men were known for consisting of diverse characters from numerous cultures. It never made sense to me that no one ever introduced a gay character. Of all comics, the X-men would seem to be the one most likely to successfully handle such a "controversial" character, yet no one had the gumption to do it. Now that someone finally made the move, they kill the character off. My feelings on the character of Northstar aside, I think it was a bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahab
    Regardless of the reason for killing Northstar, I just can't believe that Marvel didn't think of the potential impact of killing the only confirmed homosexual character in the X-men.
    Not to in any way defend Marvel, but Karma is still around, though to call her a background character is to be extremely generous. Of course, Karma is now the only confirmed homosexual in *any* of the Marvel books.

Suzene

I was going to mention Sunfire (Exiles version) but shes no longer in a Marvel book.

Back onto the Northstar issue, hopefully the death/being brought back will be a good push for the character and give him more story space in X-Men. Ok I know its asking for a lot, but c'mon I can hope.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Back onto the Northstar issue, hopefully the death/being brought back will be a good push for the character and give him more story space in X-Men. Ok I know its asking for a lot, but c'mon I can hope.
    he will come back as a heterosexual american