Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Clayton Henry

Default From Clayton Henry

Hi, all. I'm sorry things didn't work out better for Alpha Flight. I hope most of you at least enjoyed the artwork. I really did try my best from the 1st issue to the last. Since you have been such loyal readers I will give you a little back story.

While I was on issue 37 of Exiles Marvel contacted me about relaunching AF. As a relative newcomer I was excited that I was even considered to launch a title. I, of course, read the pitch first. The pitch included the search for the original AF by the ANADAF and ended with the two teams joining forces against the Plodex defences. And it was pitched as a 64 page issue #1. The pitch really didn't indicate how cartoony the humor would be. There was no mention of the original AF going off into space. I think Scott was hoping that they would get their own Uncanny title. By issue 6 I didn't like where the book was headed (in terms of character development and writing), which was a shame because Scott had so much faith in me that I wanted this book to work. I told Marvel I wanted to be taken off the book at the end of #12. Coincidentally, the editors were already planning to move me on to something else. It was obvious that staying on Alpha Flight wasn't beneficial to my career.

Fast forward to today. I am 10 pages into my new project- an X related mini. I will really miss drawing the Major, Yukon, and Centennial. You guys who stuck with Alpha are awesome. I have been regularly visiting this site for the past year and I think you deserved better than what you received. But there seems to be a lot "blame Marvel" going on. Remember, Marvel received the same pitch I did and I'm pretty sure they had a lot of trust in Scott Lobdell. Maybe that's why they din't shoot down his changes right away. Everyone likes creative freedom.

That's my take on it. Hopefully, I haven't made any AF fans mad over the last 12 issues and you will all take a look at my new title.

clay

Thanks for the background!

I seriously doubt anyone has an issue with your art on the book. In fact, It was probably one of the only saving-graces for those who didn't care for the writing. It really was the main reason I kept buying it, and it almost lost me on issue 7 and 8 when you were off the book.

I'm really curious about this mini now. . .

Thanks very much for explaining things Clayton. Your artwork was indeed enjoyed, and I know that for many who did not like the direction of the story, they at least got great joy our of your art. I have become a great fan of your work since, and have enjoyed seeing how your style has grown, even since issue #1 of ANADAF. Your rendition of Sasquatch is my favorite since John Byrne and Jim Lee. I'll miss the wonderful expressiveness in the faces of the characters. I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy this series as much as you hopped to.

Glad to hear you are moving on to new things. I'll be sure to follow your career, as I think you are destined to be one of the big guns at Marvel.

Lastly, thank you for all the times you kindly shared you penciled work with us, I hope to some day own some of it

Good luck wherever the road may take you,

Ben

Calyton Henry: your artwork was the ONLY saving grace on the title.
    Most complaints overall were about the character selection and the stories, not because the artist drew what was scripted for him. I personally hope to see much more work by you, with a little more creative control as you become more firmly established as a professional.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I agree. As you noticed your art was one of the two reasons I read AF. I liked Zuzha and MML as things went along too. As the characters developed I liked them more, though I got quite tired of the humour.

You did a great job rendering AF and I wish you all the best.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The absolute worst reaction I heard to the artwork were statements of people feeling luke warm about a couple of character designs. When that's the worst anyone's got to say, you're doing good. There's always one in the crowd who'll nitpick over generalities, and if even that person's pretty much placated, you're golden.

Best of luck to you on future projects, man. You seem like a class act, and the industry can always use one more of those.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but you deserve every bit of the praise you are recieving. Your art was one of the sole reasons I kept coming back for more. I've never spent as much time skimming through the same few comics over and over, not to read, but to study every detail of your work. Like Ben, I find your rendering of Sasquatch the best since his inception. You've quickly become my favorite current artist and I hope to follow through each of your future projects.

Its hard to believe Scott changed plots so dramatically. Although looking back at the stretched out first 5 issues and then the seemingly rushed and thrown together 6th, it now makes a lot of sense. A waste of a perfect opportunity if you ask me. It's a shame.

Anyway, best of luck!
    Dave

The art wasn't the problem, Clayton....you did a great job.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

To break the record, even more, Clayton, you're work is awe-inspiring (I've included your art style into my studylist, alongside Jim Lee and a few others). Thanks also for the words here, especially since most people over at Marvel have been keeping a silent stance over the issue for several months now.

Good luck on your new projects, and any insight on the X-mini would be really great! Will look forward to your further career with great enthusiasm!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Being completely shameless here for a moment:

Clayton; if you don't mind talking shop at some point, I'd love to pick your brain on some illustration-related topics: materials of choice, etc. Sanford's killed their Col-erase line and I'm going into withdrawl.

Forum discussion, e-mail, or skip the topic entirely -- your call, and no hard feelings either way. I know that chasing deadlines can kill time for all other things.

enorthcott at golden dot net

Dear Clayton,

Thank you for your letter. Your Alpha art was beautiful, and definitely the best part of the book for me. (You draw a gorgeous Snowbird!)

Good luck with your new project!

Quote Originally Posted by Northcott
    Being completely shameless here for a moment:

Clayton; if you don't mind talking shop at some point, I'd love to pick your brain on some illustration-related topics: materials of choice, etc. Sanford's killed their Col-erase line and I'm going into withdrawl.

Forum discussion, e-mail, or skip the topic entirely -- your call, and no hard feelings either way. I know that chasing deadlines can kill time for all other things.

enorthcott at golden dot net
    I use a .5 mechanical pencil with a 2H lead. I've had the same eraser for the past 10 years, so all the lettering is rubbed off. I think it's a Magicrub. I don't bother with any of that blue pencil or lightbox stuff. Or thumbnails for that matter.

Clay,

it's nice to know there are stand up creators out there who will take the time to give a few fans the time of day. I had enjoyed yur work on exiles and AF.
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say you can always submit new MML and Zuzha and other AF pics into the fan pics section of the Photo Album.

Best of the future to you.

Shawn.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck
    Clay,

it's nice to know there are stand up creators out there who will take the time to give a few fans the time of day. I had enjoyed yur work on exiles and AF.
    I think I speak for everyone here when I say you can always submit new MML and Zuzha and other AF pics into the fan pics section of the Photo Album.

Best of the future to you.

Shawn.

Truely at that I would happy find a place of honour for any Alpha Flight work you wish to display. I've been meaning for a while to put up a section for Original Art in the Gallery on AlphaFlight.net, and I'll certainly post any of the stuff you've already sent me in the past, not to mention the images of your art you have for sale. Should by some chance you have anything else you want to share, no objection from this corner I know I for one would LOVE to see some of you early sketches in of the characters!

Now I'll stop begging, and go recover my pride.

Ben

clayton, your art was the best this series has seen since byrne drew them and lee broke into comics.

i was watering at the mouth to see you drawing the originals and especially taking a extended turn at guardian.

i will be a fan of yours for years to come.

i really wish things would have worked out on this title with you. it is a shame to see someone take control of something you hold dear and treat it with no respect, this series deserved better. but you are the lone bright spot that came out of it.