Thread: Canadian military questions...

Default Canadian military questions...

What's Canada's numbers for the army, navy and air force? Do we have our own special forces (my brother says we do but I suspect that's made-up)? How many ships, tanks and fighter jets? Thx.
    Canada rules supreme.

You know, it wouldn't hurt if somebody actually ANSWERED this thread...
    Canada rules supreme.

I probably would, but given that I reside in the UK, my knowledge of Canadian Military numbers is somwhat limited. However, I did find the following by doing a simple google.

INDEPTH: CANADA'S MILITARY
    Introduction: By the numbers
    Justin Thompson, CBC News Online | Updated October 30, 2003

A Senate committee recommended on November 12, 2002 that Canada should call all its soldiers home for two years and immediately give $4 billion to the military in order to start the process of bringing the military up to what is expected of a world leader.
    Here’s a look at Canada by the numbers.

Population
    30,007,094 (2001 census)
    11,507,000 (1941 census)
    7,207,000 (1911 census)

Land
    Canada occupies 9,093,507 sq km, making it the second largest country in the world after Russia.
    Canada has 252,684 km of coastline and borders (243,791 km of coastline, 8,893 km of borders).

Military Expenditure
    Price of F-18A Hornet fighter jet: $50,000,000.
    Canada's defence budget for 2001/2002: $10,570,000,000 - enough to buy 211 Hornets.

Armed Forces

Today: 60,000 military personnel including 9,500 sailors, 19,000 soldiers, 13,000 air men and women and 18,500 administrative and support personnel. There are also 21,500 reservists.

Second World War: 60,000 men and women enlisted in Canada's armed forces in one month (September 1939) after the declaration of war.

First World War: More than 600,000 Canadians enlisted to fight in the First World War from 1914-1918.

Navy

Today: There are 34 warships and 9,500 sailors in Canada's navy.

Second World War: 23 Canadian ships were sunk by German U-Boats in the Battle of St. Lawrence alone.

First World War: During the course of the First World War, Canada's naval service grew to a force of 9,000 men and 100 ships.

Canadians on the front lines

Today: 2,300 armed forces have been deployed to combat terrorism; 1,500 Canadians deployed to NATO peacekeeping in Bosnia-Herzegovina.

Second World War: More than one million served and approximately 45,000 died.

First World War: Almost 620,000 Canadians served in First World War and 66,000 died.

Canada in NATO:
    Of NATO's 19 member countries, Canada is...
    1st in land area (9,093,507 sq km), and sixth in total military spending ($10,570,000,000)

As for Armour couldn't find much on that, but I did however find an interesting qoute
    'A terse atitude does not endear a person to new found aquaintences'
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Nogoodnamesleft
    You know, it wouldn't hurt if somebody actually ANSWERED this thread...
    First of all, expecting a response within 2 hours to a rather specific question, especially early in the day, is a little much to expect. Secondly, as you have not responded to my private messages, I'll make mention now, that since your joining, the attitude and behaviour you have exhibited has been less than cordial, and has been very disrespectful of others. On this forum everyone's opinion is welcome, as long as it is not rude or showing disrespect for others. I urge you to view your private messages, and respond to me, I will not sit by and accept the type of behaviour you have shown on this forum.

Ben

Default Re: Canadian military questions...

Do we have our own special forces (my brother says we do but I suspect that's made-up)?
    Yeah, we do have a special forces unit named: Joint Task Force 2. Annoyingly enough there is no Joint Task Force 1, the name came from an American unit that a Canadian politician thought sounded kinda cool. They were created as an anti-terrorist unit but mostly babysit Canadian politicians in foreign lands, or act as bodyguards for foreign leaders in unstable areas where Canada is helping out.

Here's a link to the JTF2 homepage:

http://www.forces.gc.ca/dcds/units/jtf2/default_e.asp

I don't check my private messages because I don't know how. And I don't see how I've been rude in any way.
    Canada rules supreme.

I don't check my private messages because I don't know how. And I don't see how I've been rude in any way.
    click on the "Private Messages" button at the top of any page here. We will discuss this in private.

Ben