Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you really think the current series is good enough that-

Default Do you really think the current series is good enough that-

Marvel shouldn't cancel it? I haven't been able to find any issues (none of the stores in this city seem to have AF at all), but I hear this particular series has been terrible and basically a joke. What's your opinion? And also, a more important question: Who would you actually like to have as AF's writer? I don't know them all that well but I guess I'd have to pick Byrne as no man knows something so well as he who is its creator.
    Canada rules supreme.

Personally I've quite enjoyed this series. There have been many editorial blunders that have set my teeth on edge, but I have liked the writing. It has been written in a very light tone with a great deal of humour. That humour was a little blunt at first as Lobdell was getting to know the characters, but it has smoothed out considerably. The plot of the latest storyline has been great. I think the biggest problem was the first story line being spread out over too many issues. Regardless of weather the current writing is "good enough" to most, I don't think Marvel should have canceled it. They should have given Alpha Flight the same due that they have given to many other books, and retooled it to makes it appeal to more of the fanbase. A new direction, return of the more "classic" Alpha Flight could have brought it right around.

That being said, in choosing an author, I would not choose Byrne, as he has gone on record saying that he never really liked writing Alpha Flight...My choice would be Peter David.

Ben

I cannot say with my hand on heart that I love the series. It's been good to see AF on a comic cover again, but it could have been way better. As for creative team, maybe JMS with Gary Frank (?) doing the art chores.

Byrne IMHO had his best days back at the beginning of the 80's, nothing he's done since he left FF, UXM and AF has measured up to what he did in those books.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Sorry, Ben, but I've gotta disagree. This version of Alpha Flight was destined for calncellation after the first story arc. I'll admit the characters have started to grow on me somewhat, but then mold will grow on bread if you leave it in the pantry long enough. The first arc was entirely too long and packed little action. The second arc, while big on action would have been better suited to a match and a rousing course of "Happy Birthday". Power Pack could've taken out the wax statues! The final story arc I've enjoyed. It ties into the history of the book. Unfortunately it's rushed because of the cancellation. Had they started the book with this as a 6 story arc I bet there'd be a lot more readers today and we wouldn't be lamenting over the demise of the book again.

As for who I'd want to write the title. I'd pick someone with a unique knowledge of Alpha Flight history and Canadian culture. Our very own Ed Northcott and his pal J.Torres might be a good team. If only Marvel would let us find out!

Just for the record, there are plenty of Alpha issues on the shelves in my area. I'm sure things are different in Canada, but once the title fizzled early the issues just kinda hung on the shelf here. Folks obviously gave it a few issues though, since you can't find the earlier issues anymore.

I wonder if instead of Sasquatch creating the ANADAF, it had been Wolverine (has a fall-out with the X-Men, well Scott that is) came up to Canada to find out AF has run afoul with some danger and decides to help them out, with a few allies (Major Mapleleaf, Nemesis, Centennial, Puck and Yukon Jack) do you think the series would have lasted longer?

MM

Written in the style it was, I don't think even Wolvie could have saved it. Granted there would have been a lot more hue and cry if fan fave Wolvie had been treated the way AF characters have been over the latest series and for the last few years.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I've got to admit I never bought the new serie. It never interested me with those characters and I don't buy comics anymore or never really did. It was Yves, My brother, that bought the books. Be the way, he did not bought the last serie saying it was a travesti of AF and was not the real thing, so he was not interested. Plus, we are not the best Lobdell fans (just a matter of taste).

I also don't like to go every month to pick up the damn book in a comic book store, where it,s not near where I usually go. I like a lot better to go to a bookstore like chapters. But I'm a book person and not a magazine person, that's maybe why I don't like the comic book format. And I don't know for you, but I find the way comics are done, do not make them very easy to keep and I never find them in a library, that is where I got the taste to bought europeen comic book (called BD for bandes dessinées) and in airports they are nowhere to be seen as for DB, I could find them easily at any "relay" in many airports (in the francophone world of course) but comics should be available in airports, that ideal to read in a flight depending of the lenght of it. I could find children comic books but no marvel or DC comic books. And with all the talk about the the people that want AF but could not because it was sold out, just make me see how the industrie is not maximising the visibility and the problem is maybe not the product, but the distribution, no? Anyway...

As for the best writer, I don't know. Not byrne, he as done what he had to to on the book and I don't like what he do anymore. I would like Peter David, but I'm not sure he would get the "canadian" in a way he is soooo american (in the good sense of it) I would team him up with a canadian penciller, so he could have hte feed back on that aspect, and with me for the quebecois aspect

wrote too much, my fingers hurts

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    I wonder if instead of Sasquatch creating the ANADAF, it had been Wolverine (has a fall-out with the X-Men, well Scott that is) came up to Canada to find out AF has run afoul with some danger and decides to help them out, with a few allies (Major Mapleleaf, Nemesis, Centennial, Puck and Yukon Jack) do you think the series would have lasted longer?

MM
    This would have been even less Alpha Flight than what we got...but as a matter of course, sad as it is, Wolvie appearances would have increased sales. At least when Mac, Heather, Puck and Aurora are involed with the team, Alpha is a place where Wolvie is always welcomem because the fit is natural, not forced.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

no way marvel would have allowed wolverine to be in a "funny" comic book.

noooooooooo waaaaaaayyyy!!!!

I liked the characters and art and didn't like the humour much, it just didn't fit. I'll have my #12 in a week or so and be unhappy that we're done with it.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

[quote="syvalois"

, that is where I got the taste to bought europeen comic book (called BD for bandes dessinées)

My franco friend in collage gave me a pile of BD magazines. ZIP POW they were a whole more graphic than I was expecting..!

As for the best writer, I don't know. Not byrne,

I don't think hiring Byrne would be best as he didn't really enjoy it anyway.
    I would like Peter David, but I'm not sure he would get the "canadian" in a way he is soooo american (in the good sense of it) I would team him up with a canadian penciller, so he could have hte feed back on that aspect, and with me for the quebecois aspect

I'll back you on the Peter David selection. And Characterization wouldn't be a huge problem for him. Gary Frank , Dale Keowen ((SP?) you know the guy who did hulk with him.) Would be great artists.

[quote][quote="JohnnyCanuck"][quote="syvalois"

, that is where I got the taste to bought europeen comic book (called BD for bandes dessinées)

My franco friend in collage gave me a pile of BD magazines. ZIP POW they were a whole more graphic than I was expecting..![/quote]

Zip Pow, I don't think I know that but go to : www.humano.com that is the kind of BD that I like. Not all of them, I don't know them all, but many looks good. We bought for Bruno's niece (she is 17 years old) "L'enfant de l'Orage" and it's a nice format to give as a gift. The new book will come out soon, maybe for her birthday, she will get the new book. http://www.humano.com/catalogue/fich...ge=fiche_image

I'll back you on the Peter David selection. And Characterization wouldn't be a huge problem for him. Gary Frank , Dale Keowen ((SP?) you know the guy who did hulk with him.) Would be great artists.
    I must admit that Gary Frank would be so good, but I think Peter David and Ed as the penciller would make a good team and Peter could get the canadian aspect that way (and maybe get Ed snowbird) and of course that team would need me for the quebecer aspect . I don't trust Ed on that part

Love the new avatar and rank, Ben!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I will have all 12 of v3 next week. I have 4 issues of v2. I have 7 or so of v1. If my optimism isn't misplaced [-o< then maybe soon there will be a version 4 full of action and including characters I like, not necessarily Zuzha and MML and GG and Box and Feedback and Nemesis and Witchfire and Windshear but characters like them in spirit and powers. Oh, to be lucky. \/
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.