Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.L.A.?! That's new. . .

Default G.L.A.?! That's new. . .

The "Great Lakes Avengers". . . Anyone know anything about this team?

the first I've seen of it is here.

G.L.A. #1 (of 4)
    Written by Dan Slott
    Pencils & Cover by Paul Pelletier
    They are the Great Lake Avengers, the guys who got the shortest end of the super-hero stick. But with the REAL Avengers disassembled, they’re going to try to step up to the plate and deal with one of their most powerful villains! Can they save the day? Well, we just hope these guys can save themselves!
    THIS ISSUE: A GREAT LAKE AVENGER DIES! (Besides Mr. Immortal, duh.) Special appearances by: Captain America, Thor, the Vision, the Scarlet Witch, and Hawkeye.
    32 PGS./Marvel PSR …$2.99
    A comedy title from Marvel based on a group of Northern-North American misfit superheros? You've got to be kidding me. . .

(Ben and Phil: If this belongs in General, feel free to move it. Seemed more related to this forum).

Great Lakes Avengers
    Team of Superhuman adventurers based (originally) in Milwaukee who adopted the name of Avengers without the actual Avengers' permission. Later underwent training by Hawkeye and Mockingbird.

Members include Big Bertha, who can increase her size, mass, and strength enormously; Dinah Soar, who has wings and can fly; Doorman, who can act as a portal through any solid object by standing before it; Flatman, who can flatten and elongate his body; and Mister Immortal, whose self-healing ability enables him to survive seeming death.

First Appearance: WEST COAST AVENGERS #46

(Direct Quote from Avengers Log #1, 1994)

Later, during the 'Heroes Reborn' Era, they were refering themselfs as the 'Lightning Rods', as a poor homage to the Thunderbolts. (Deadpool #10 & 11)
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Joe Kelly wrote a four ish series of GLA, but it never saw the light of day. Over at "amazon.com" they have a listing for it as a trade sometime later this year, I think.

MM

Trade for later this year would probably be the Dan Slott series, judging from publication times of trades after the series they collect are finished.
    Glad Slott's getting work. His She-Hulk has been good stuff.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

They also appereared as the LightningRods in Thunderbolts (vol. 1) #16 & 17 too.

MM

Okay, so in addition to the regular team, it looks like they've added a few new members.

On the far right, I'm pretty sure that's Squirrel Girl. But, I can't figure out that guy beside her. Kinda looks like a Human Cockroach? Cockroach-man? Anyone?!?

Anyway, looking forward to this book.

-Mike-

Squirrel Girl is a natural fit for the team. Mostly cause I think no other self respecting team would put up with her perkiness for that long.

I remeber there was supposed to be a mini series or something where SG, The Frog Man, and Rocket Racoon were part of a team. Anyone recall that or am I just smoking crack?

This seemed somehow appropiate:

It's nice to see the G.L.A. finally getting a solo mini-series. What I've heard is that since the Avengers are "Disassembled" the G.L.A. try to "step up to the plate" and take on a serious A-List Villain. With disasterous results! I understand that not all the G.L.A.'ers will survive the series, which is a shame since I've always had a soft spot for this team.

I liked Dan Slott's work on She-Hulk, this should be an entertaining series.

hi,
    hawkeyes and mocking girl led this team , no ? GLA appeared in France in WCA several years ago

I think that was the West Coast Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I think that was the West Coast Avengers.
    Actually, you are both right, kinda. Mockingbird and Hawkeye DID both lead the WCA, but Hawkeye took a leave of absence from them to help out the GLA for a few mos before returning to the Avengers.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Actually, you are both right, kinda. Mockingbird and Hawkeye DID both lead the WCA, but Hawkeye took a leave of absence from them to help out the GLA for a few mos before returning to the Avengers.
    The introduction of the GLA is included as part of the Vision Quest TPB coming in July. The character interaction was really good - especially between Hawkeye & US Agent, which led Clint to quit the team, as Allan mentions.

Another plus was that Byrne wove many of the stories through Avengers continuity. The early part of this run got me hooked on comics and led me to seek out other Byrne titles, like Alpha & the FF.

Here's the solicitation text from Comics Continuum:

AVENGERS WEST COAST: VISION QUEST TPB

Written, pencils and cover by John Byrne.

See how one of comicdom's most recognizable talents remade the West Coast Avengers: The readjustment of the Vision! Ancient secrets of humanity revealed! The Scarlet Witch's first step into the descent of madness that disassembled the Avengers! Introducing the Great Lakes Avengers and featuring the triumphant return of one of Marvel's hottest golden age greats! Battles, betrayals and the bizarre as only Byrne could bring you! Collects Avengers West Coast #42-50.

216 pages, $24.99, in stores on July 27.

His WCA was great and ended too soon. The funny thing was, he wrote the regular Avengers title for some of the same time, and it was completely unmemorable.
    And I was in a definite minority of loving what he did with the Vision. It did make sense to me for him to be ethereal. I liked Harras' story that "fixed" the Vision, but wouldn't it have been a lot simpler for the white Vision to have just donned colorful clothes to reflect the reacquired personality?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Over at www.comicon.com they have a interview with Dan Slott about the GLA, seems he's a BIG John Byrne fan too.

http://comicon.com/cgi-bin/ultimateb...&f=36&t=003745

MM