Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Alpha Flight #11

Default Alpha Flight #11

So what did everybody think?

MM

I assumed it wasn't out yet because of the Holidays. I'll have to pick it up tomorrow.

Ben

Spoilers
    It was....disappointing. A lot more running around and not a lot accomplished...I think it's called decompressed story-telling or some such.
    It looks like Yukon Jack doesn't need the rest of the Alphans for anything...his bone weapons took out the entire Omega Flight team...so maybe he should get his own book

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

I may have it tomorrow, but I'm betting next week. Can't really afford to drive 2 hours just for the sake of a comic book, even AF.

I expect, that since Lobdell was told in August that AF was being cancelled, that he basically did what Seagle did: take the story arc he intended to write and mash in bits from the arc that brings back Byrnites.

Seagle intended for Gentry to be Hudson and to bring back most of AF slowly, all around issue #32. But when AF got canned he brought back Byrnites fast, hashed in a way to explain away Hudson, and that was it.

Still, in AF version 4 I'd keep Hudsons as Administrators, AF being Puck, Sasquatch, Shaman, Snowbird, Zuzha, Major Mapleleaf, and maybe keep Earthmover (have to develop his potential, just like we need to see MML cut loose in #12).
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    just like we need to see MML cut loose in #12).
    I really doubt that will happen,considering Thunder is not around. Remember...Scott has indicated MML's power is in his horse.

Dana

Surprisingly got it today!

Great art, as usual. Anybody notice Flashback in the battle with Onslaught?

The story holds together OK. Too bad it got cancelled, I think that changed how it was written a bit. Odd how Langkowski is Sasquatch but wearing his clothes and glasses. Got between two realities, possibly?

Yukon Jack single-handedly beating Omega Flight is no big deal, he knows what he's up against and is ferocious. With Langkowski seemingly out of commission now who will fix things in #12? Will ANADAF have to fight Byrne AF in the past? Will that somehow fix things? As Nemesis goes into battle, again, will Major Mapleleaf be the one to pull the iron out of the fire?

Only one issue left, too bad.

Ed and J., make your pitch and get v4 on the rails! Keep Zuzha and MML, why not?

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Surprisingly got it today!

Great art, as usual. Anybody notice Flashback in the battle with Onslaught?

Yes....what the heck was with that?...And why did Guardian's costume change from panel to panel....the book is falling apart.

The story holds together OK. Too bad it got cancelled, I think that changed how it was written a bit. Odd how Langkowski is Sasquatch but wearing his clothes and glasses. Got between two realities, possibly?

Yukon Jack single-handedly beating Omega Flight is no big deal, he knows what he's up against and is ferocious.

I have to ask...HOW does he know what he's up against?...he's only faced the Box robot before and met Flashback briefly. He doesn't know the rest of Omega Flight or what they can do. The story does not hold up...it's making less and less sense as it goes on.

With Langkowski seemingly out of commission now who will fix things in #12? Will ANADAF have to fight Byrne AF in the past? Will that somehow fix things? As Nemesis goes into battle, again, will Major Mapleleaf be the one to pull the iron out of the fire?

How can he? He's dead and lost in the past, at the moment.

Only one issue left, too bad.

Ed and J., make your pitch and get v4 on the rails! Keep Zuzha and MML, why not?

the art was the best of the series. i love claytons work. the story........blech.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    It looks like Yukon Jack doesn't need the rest of the Alphans for anything...his bone weapons took out the entire Omega Flight team...so maybe he should get his own book

Dana
    Well, in #10 Hudson would have had to take out all of Omega Flight by himself, since they were all waiting for him. So in th same vein YJ took them all out, knowing more than they did.

Live it.

Huh?

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Yes....what the heck was with that?...And why did Guardian's costume change from panel to panel....the book is falling apart.
    LOL! I love the way you put that. Yes, it's definitely falling apart - at least my copy is. During my first read, the middle pages came out. D'oh!

I've liked the way Lobdell used the time travel to reveal little bits of secrets. Nice.

Delphine Courtney (not Courtney Delphine - how the hell could they make a mistake like that?) looked nothing like herself. I thought she was Mar 'til I read her name.
    In fact, that whole role call left a bitter taste - I felt like Lobdell was belittling Byrne, a much, much better writer than him.

Again, I don't believe these events. No way would AF move to New York. Simple. Snowbird least of all. There's no reason to, either - NYC has a plethora of superheroes, Canada not enough. It's unbelievable.

I mean, imagine if these things happened in the comics - if Box tried to take over the US. If the Plodex tried to take over Canada. The heroes would find a way. They wouldn't go 'Oh, no, Boxes, let's die. Uh-oh, Plodex, let's nuke a country'.
    The Avengers and X-Men, much less the gajillion others, have all faced this before. They wouldn't lose, and they wouldn't nuke Canada. They'd get close to both - they have before - but they wouldn't do it.

Though I did like AF taking out Onslaught.

- Le Messor
    "Check again to make sure it’s not loaded."

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    LOL! I love the way you put that. Yes, it's definitely falling apart - at least my copy is. During my first read, the middle pages came out. D'oh!

Hey...the same thing happened to my middle pages, as well...that's odd.

I've liked the way Lobdell used the time travel to reveal little bits of secrets. Nice.

Delphine Courtney (not Courtney Delphine - how the hell could they make a mistake like that?) looked nothing like herself. I thought she was Mar 'til I read her name.
    In fact, that whole role call left a bitter taste - I felt like Lobdell was belittling Byrne, a much, much better writer than him.

Yeah....and Delphine didn't even appear in the issue.

Again, I don't believe these events. No way would AF move to New York. Simple. Snowbird least of all. There's no reason to, either - NYC has a plethora of superheroes, Canada not enough. It's unbelievable.

It is definitely a huge stretch, that makes very little sense.

I mean, imagine if these things happened in the comics - if Box tried to take over the US. If the Plodex tried to take over Canada. The heroes would find a way. They wouldn't go 'Oh, no, Boxes, let's die. Uh-oh, Plodex, let's nuke a country'.
    The Avengers and X-Men, much less the gajillion others, have all faced this before. They wouldn't lose, and they wouldn't nuke Canada. They'd get close to both - they have before - but they wouldn't do it.

At this point....I'd say the believability factor has been thrown out the window....and have you noticed it's just not humorous anymore....if this is supposed to be a "funny" book...where's the funny?

Though I did like AF taking out Onslaught.

- Le Messor
    "Check again to make sure it’s not loaded."

I have to ask...HOW does he know what he's up against?...he's only faced the Box robot before and met Flashback briefly. He doesn't know the rest of Omega Flight or what they can do. The story does not hold up...it's making less and less sense as it goes on.
    Hell, I never figured why they wanted to go back in time in the first place. Why go to the spot before Mac dies, when Mac is alive today anyway, with Heather and with a kid? To save him some grief since he had a bad run of it?

Maybe Walt just lost track of whether Mac was alive or dead...it would be easy to.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

[quote="Ottawa Renegade"]
    Hell, I never figured why they wanted to go back in time in the first place. Why go to the spot before Mac dies, when Mac is alive today anyway, with Heather and with a kid? To save him some grief since he had a bad run of it?
    I think they were going back to warn Mac not to let Mantlo on the book.

- Le Messor
    "Chemistry professors never die, they just smell that way!"

Warning: This thread has developed "the Funney"!