Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The word of the day: KNOCK-OFF

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    In 2003, the country's official refusal to get involved in the US invasion of Iraq, the proposed decriminalization of the possession of small amounts of marijuana and the legalization of same sex marriages were noted internationally. As the UK magazine, The Economist, noted Canada has taken the image of a North American culture that is "cool" in that it is taking a socially progressive tone in contrast to the USA.
    Ok, so we're the quiet kid on the playground that keeps to himself/herself hitting a peice of rubber with a stick... who smokes pot and marries the same sex and is being recognized for not picking fights with the jocks ... Metaphores give me headaches...

You're SO right about the french accent thing. I couldn't stand Arlette in Vol 2, using two "Z"s in every second word. "He eez your brozaire". Now, I'm 1/2 french Canadian. And if I ever talked like that, I'd ask people to slap me. I'm surprised they didn't give her a long pointy moustache and a cape.

If you're interested in hearing other bad french accents, feel free to go to your local video store and rent such movies as "The Whole Nine Yards" and John Malcovich's deserving Emmy Award performance in "Johnny English".

do do do do! The more you know! *Falling star
    (anyone born after 1986 just smile and nod)

Dave

PS
    Even John Byrnes' "Sacré blue!" etc were bad streotypes. Throw in a couple "Calisse de Tabernac!"s. NOW you're talkin!

I recall a writer having one of the twins using the word "tabernac"....I thought it was Byrne, but I'm not sure now. What does it mean, anywho?

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I recall a writer having one of the twins using the word "tabernac"....I thought it was Byrne, but I'm not sure now. What does it mean, anywho?

Dana
    "Jesus Christ" lol

Dave

PS
    I rather enjoyed your "sloppy" post last night lol

You're SO right about the french accent thing. I couldn't stand Arlette in Vol 2, using two "Z"s in every second word. "He eez your brozaire". Now, I'm 1/2 french Canadian. And if I ever talked like that, I'd ask people to slap me. I'm surprised they didn't give her a long pointy moustache and a cape.
    LOL! Well, Arlette was a major pain for me. I put the accent on the count of major mental illness and a desire to fit what she saw as the french-canadian stereotype. Nobody speak like that here even my mother that do not speak english can speak better than that! But I could really not understand how someone that was raised in Hull House, which was in Ontario, raised with Flex and Radius could speak with such an accent. Impossible!

If you're interested in hearing other bad french accents, feel free to go to your local video store and rent such movies as "The Whole Nine Yards" and John Malcovich's deserving Emmy Award performance in "Johnny English".
    Never say Johnny english, but I did saw "The Whole Nine Yards" and I thought the accent was not perfect, but close enough for an american actress. At least it was not the french form France accent, and if you look at Julie Snyder (http://archives.tva.ca/poingj/video/julian.rm), you can see that people from here can have a very heavy accent, she's the worst I've heard.

PS
    Even John Byrnes' "Sacré blue!" etc were bad streotypes. Throw in a couple "Calisse de Tabernac!"s. NOW you're talkin!
    It was evident that Byrne knew not so much about french canadian and worst about Quebecers, but then again close enough

At least it was not the french form France accent, and if you look at Julie Snyder (http://archives.tva.ca/poingj/video/julian.rm), you can see that people from here can have a very heavy accent, she's the worst I've heard.
    Yikes. I stand corrected. Still, like you said, for a 17year old to have that accent who was raised her whole life in an English orphanidge(sp? I can honestly say that that is one word I have never written before in my life), that's a pretty thick accent. Too bad they didn't make her from the Maritimes. She could speak Shiac: "J'allait Ã* la store, la. J'ai buyer des chips et spiller dans ma car."

DO NOT see Johnny English. ever.

Dave

[quote="Canucklehead"]

Dana
    "Jesus Christ" lol

Dave

Well technically it do not mean jesus Christ, it translate to Tabernacle, it's a religious term and it's a very bad word bader then Jesus Christ, more like the F word

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabernacle

Yikes. I stand corrected. Still, like you said, for a 17year old to have that accent who was raised her whole life in an English orphanidge(sp? I can honestly say that that is one word I have never written before in my life), that's a pretty thick accent. Too bad they didn't make her from the Maritimes. She could speak Shiac: "J'allait Ã* la store, la. J'ai buyer des chips et spiller dans ma car."
    For Murmur, it's not only thick it's inacurate, with a;ll the "Z" put in it. Plus Arlette is so much english who want'S to look french kinda name. IN our day and age most of the name finishing with 'ette' are seen as ugly and old fashion, see arlette, bernadette, georgette, pierrette, etc...

And I would really like to see an acadian character, one that speak shiac, Aurora and Jp would not be able to understand them

DO NOT see Johnny English. ever.

LOL, ok

Well technically it do not mean jesus Christ, it translate to Tabernacle, it's a religious term and it's a very bad word bader then Jesus Christ, more like the F word
    You mean I've been worshiping and praying to the F word? uh oh.

LOL "pierrette", I don't know if I'd go out with someone named Pierrette. I'd be scared she was once a man. (if you know anyone with that name and you were insulted, I apologize. I swear to tabernac i didn't mean to offend)

And I would really like to see an acadian character, one that speak shiac, Aurora and Jp would not be able to understand them
    Well technically Gambit is sort of Acadian. The french were shipped out of the maritimes back in the 1700s and sent down to the american colonies, most notibly New Orleans where the Acadians, now pronounce it Cajuns, live. Interstingly enough, Moncton was the first bilingual city in Canada, even though it is named after one of the generals that sent the french away.

What was this post started as again? Ah yes, knock-offs. At least we're stayin on topic lol

Dave

yeah, I'm starting to see this thread starting to sprout off on it's own in a completely different topic
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

I have a comment that's back on topic(I guess)....When I first saw the "Return of the Native" storyline...I cringed to discover that Marvel had actually(stupidly) made Wolverine less unique with the creation of Native(I just had to shake my head)....then I found out about this female clone(X-23) afterward and was just...well...thoroughly disgusted(I won't mention Ultimate Wolverine, because all of you can probably read my mind on that subject...LOL).

Dana

(I won't mention Ultimate Wolverine, because all of you can probably read my mind on that subject...LOL).

Dana
    Oh c'mon, Dana! Admit it, you're secretly Ultimate X-Men's biggest fans: you have all their appearences and keep several posters of Ultimate Wolverine hidden under the bed

LOL....um...no, Allan...that is not the case.

Dana

Riiiiight, sure, I getcha. *wink wink*

You mean I've been worshiping and praying to the F word? uh oh.

Not my fault, you got to ask what it means before worshipping it.

LOL "pierrette", I don't know if I'd go out with someone named Pierrette. I'd be scared she was once a man. (if you know anyone with that name and you were insulted, I apologize. I swear to tabernac i didn't mean to offend)
    Lol, I don't know parsonnally any Pierrette, but from what I know Céline (as in Céline Dion) and Édith (like Édith Piaf) seems popular names:P. But then again, the most famous transgender is named Micheline :

http://www.micheline.ca

Well technically Gambit is sort of Acadian. The french were shipped out of the maritimes back in the 1700s and sent down to the american colonies, most notibly New Orleans where the Acadians, now pronounce it Cajuns, live. Interstingly enough, Moncton was the first bilingual city in Canada, even though it is named after one of the generals that sent the french away.
    I know all that, but I make a difference between the 2 acadian and cajun. Like the French and Quebecers, we say we are cousins, but we are very distinct, I think it's the same with acadian and cajun, came from the same roots but with time change so much it's not the same. But I really would like to know more about Acadians and Cajuns, well more than Zachary Richard, La Sagouine, Édit Butler and Wilfred Lebouthiller

What was this post started as again? Ah yes, knock-offs. At least we're stayin on topic lol
    Yes, with Murmur, we stay on topic

Hmmm....Murmur. Yes...a really bad character on many levels. I always thought of her as a bad Persuasion/Aurora knock-off. Now we learn she was meant to be a clone made from The Purple man's DNA...well...it doesn't make her any less of a knock-off. If you think about it....Persuasion is a bit of a knock-off too(I do like the character though....great personailty).

Ghost Girl was also a knock-off(Shadowcat/Phantom Girl). I think of all the "new" Vol 2 characters...Flex was one of the most original(especially if he's supposed to be Wolverine's son/clone....he's not much like him)heroes.

The characters of Vol 3 aren't terribly original either, but in this day and age, it's very hard to create an original character.

Dana