Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The word of the day: KNOCK-OFF

Not to swerve off topic again, but Édith Butler is my neighbours aunt. Small world

As for Knock-offs, I can see where Marvel is coming from when ceating these characters. Statistically, you put Wolverine and Spider-Man on a cover, it sells more. Even if we complain about the over exposure, we as fans still buy it anyway.

Now we know titles with newer characters don't sell as well. And are rutinely cancelled. So, for a company that can't seem to admit it's making a mistake ie lack of marking etc, it decides to replace said new titles with secondary characters ie Rogue, Nightcrawler etc. And even those titles don't sell all too well. So from their perspective, Wolverine and Spider-Man knock offs are the only place to go. And I wouldn't mind it so much if they just did it like the old days. Have one guest star as a villain or misunderstood hero in a main book. See the fan reaction, then base a new book off that character soley if the reaction is good. (See Punisher etc) But do it SLOWLY. One at a time. Not 7 new characters in a month. It just feels too much like these characters are being shoved down our throats and we are told they are the coolest thing since sliced bread. Even though said character hasn't dawned a page yet!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Sure we'll see a new AF title in this Marvel Next line.... As soon as they create a female clone of James Hudson, but younger, hipper and with more attitude! A storyline so original, nothing like it has ever been attempted and will rock Canada's big frozen tundra to it's core! Move over Avril! Make way for Hailey Hoser! No doot aboot it, eh!?

Dave

ooooohhhh someone with artistic skills please draw this!

Ben

oooookay: a hockey stick and a curling rock... all you need now is a lacrosse stick...

Nice work, ntl.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Actually, I had a lacross stick all ready, but she ran out of hands. Maybe you could draw her lacross friendly partener!?

Thanks btw!

Davey

Heh, as I keep telling ppl, don't give me ideas. I got enough ideas to make ppl question my candidacy for the strait-jacket farm... and as soon as I get more than a few hours off, I'm gonna show them to you!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    I mean, yeah if someone on tv makes a crack about us, it feel insulted, but it fades cause I know it's coming from an ignorant person.
    Dave
    You reminded me of something that my wife and I had to laugh at, and brought it again for days. When the gay marriage thing went through, they were interviewing Americans living near the border to find out if theor opinions of Canadians had dimmed over the past few years.

One lady at a diner said something like "Canadians are really tolerant of a lot of things and I don't like that". Cracked me right up. Yeah, I can't stand tolerance either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    You reminded me of something that my wife and I had to laugh at, and brought it again for days. When the gay marriage thing went through, they were interviewing Americans living near the border to find out if theor opinions of Canadians had dimmed over the past few years.

One lady at a diner said something like "Canadians are really tolerant of a lot of things and I don't like that". Cracked me right up. Yeah, I can't stand tolerance either.
    LOL! That's hilarious. Wish I got to see that!

Dave

As an aside: that "Americans with skis on their roof-rack in July, driving through Toronto" schtick that's mentioned in Sylvie's post on page 1? I don't know if that case is true, but something very much like that happened here, in Kitchener-Waterloo, around 40-45 years ago.

One of my closest friends when I was growing up used to laugh about it; It had happened to his mother when she was a teenager. She was working at one of those old drive-in restaurants, and a car full of young men pulled up; American plates and skis on the roof. When they asked, frustrated, how far they'd have to go before they found the snow, she advised them to just keep driving north and they'd eventually find some.

Default X-23

X-23 may be a clone of Wolverine but she is different enough to make it interesting. That claw in her foot is something I want to see how she will use it in battle. The issues of her series I've read so far I am not reminded of Wolverine at all by looking at her. She is a stand alone character. I have hated clones ever since Marvel's fiasco with the Spider-Man Clone Saga. But X-23 I am liking a lot. Its well worth reading.
    Richard Vasseur