Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: #10 Discussion (Spoilers)

Default #10 Discussion (Spoilers)

#10 is now out.

Feel free to review/spoil/discuss here.

I liked it. We get a bit more info on the young plodex kid, including a name; we see a new power out of Yukon Jack that is visually very cool; we get some action showing that Puck II has some serious power behind her and we get a look at Centennial's past that, surprisingly, includes Nemesis.

Oh yeah, Canada and the US have now been destroyed.

Disappointing points:

1. No action out of Sasquatch despite a huge battle going on around him.

2. (Very minor) Small mistake made in the writing when Mac says: "Another member of Alpha Flight has been dispatched in the past to the present... " Centennial was sent from the FUTURE into the past, Mac's present. Nitpicking, yes, but what are ya goin' ta do about it? :P

3. (Again minor): Scott still needs to learn when and where to use: eh.

Overall a good read IMHO.

The Centennial/Nemesis revelation adds a WHOLE new dynamic to everything Nemesis has done in this series. That whole scene had me a little emotional.

This issue seemed to have gone by a little too fast for me, which is either a good thing or a bad thing. I have no idea which.

A lot of the continuity stuff was REALLY hard for me to follow (my knowledge of pre-ANADAF issues is severely lacking), but it's a credit to Lobdell that I at least managed to follow along in some way.

Yuk used his powers! Yay! We get more of a feel for Puck's power, but I wish it had be fleshed-out a tad better in this issue. The wife thing isn't really dealt with beyond Puck not liking it. You'd think she'd ask why he thinks he's her wife (wherein he'd explain that saying someone "possesses the finer qualities of womanhood" or whatever means you're automatically hitched).

The art, of course, is magnificent. Clayton will definitely be getting some high-profile work out of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    2. (Very minor) Small mistake made in the writing when Mac says: "Another member of Alpha Flight has been dispatched in the past to the present... " Centennial was sent from the FUTURE into the past, Mac's present. Nitpicking, yes, but what are ya goin' ta do about it? :P
    Isn't that in Mac's big speech going:

Quote Originally Posted by Mac
    "um...okay. I think I got it--"

"--instead of me not going to America at all in order to avoid Roxxon, Jaxon and certain dead at the hands of my own short-circuited power supply, another future member of Alpha Flight has been dispached in the past to this present to make sure that a frustrated Jaxon does not turn his pending empire to the task of inadvertently laying waste to Canada and the rest of the world when he can't get his hands on me when I accept the bogus job offer, so instead your intend is that I pretend to accept the employment opportunity as it has been presented so that I do indeed to to New York but rather than waiting to be attacked by Omega Flight I take advantage of my inside knowledge of pending events to take the initiative against Jaxon who is actually posing inside Roger Bochs' Box battle armour thereby ensuring that neither myself nor Flashback are killed as a direct or indirect result of this initial encounter?"
    One could forgive Mac for making a bit of a boo-boo. That's ALL ONE SENTENCE: he's starving his brain of oxygen!

I forget the details from V3#1. Was the reason for Rutherford's coma explained? Maybe Nemesis caused it somehow?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Yuk used his powers! Yay! We get more of a feel for Puck's power, but I wish it had be fleshed-out a tad better in this issue. The wife thing isn't really dealt with beyond Puck not liking it. You'd think she'd ask why he thinks he's her wife (wherein he'd explain that saying someone "possesses the finer qualities of womanhood" or whatever means you're automatically hitched).
    Could just be that the time stream changed and they're now hitched or somehow Yuk believes they are. With MMJ in the past he's no longer in the way to prevent such a union. Still doesn't explain why Puck doesn't like him calling her that. Unless they're going through a really bad spot or seperation, or maybe she doesn't want the Boxes to use their relationship to against them in the battle. Lots of explanations, none of which I'm sure are right.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle13
    Quote Originally Posted by Defunct
    Could just be that the time stream changed and they're now hitched or somehow Yuk believes they are. With MMJ in the past he's no longer in the way to prevent such a union. Still doesn't explain why Puck doesn't like him calling her that. Unless they're going through a really bad spot or seperation, or maybe she doesn't want the Boxes to use their relationship to against them in the battle. Lots of explanations, none of which I'm sure are right.
    For some reason, AF don't seem to be affected by the timeshifts.

CERTAINLY, time had not been rearranged to do THAT. This is just Jack's hubris and Nemesis' sarcasm

I really liked some of the revelations of this issue, but unfortunately, it does point out why so many readers (at least according to Internet posts) have dropped the book. It took 10 issues to learn Yukon's powers. If the readers were aware of this unique power, IMO, they would have taken a liking to him faster. His power has appeared somewhat boring up until now. 10 issues and Puck's powers still remain undefined. No clarification has been made as to who Mar is - random Plodex child that just happens to be non-agressive? (How'd that happen? It has human form, so the genetic imprint had to be human.) Or one of Marrina's children? (Which would make a little more sense, particularly since it has webbed appendages.) I appreciate the teasers that Scott throws out there about the individual members, but for readers that need to be hooked from the beginning, these revelations may be not be coming quick enough to keep interest. It's a shame, because this is one book that I always put down with an anticipation for the next issue.

Are Jack's powers "unique"? I'm thinking Marrow here.
    We got a name for Plodex "boy", but who named him (within the fictional world)?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Are Jack's powers "unique"? I'm thinking Marrow here.
    We got a name for Plodex "boy", but who named him (within the fictional world)?
    I dunno about you, but I've never seen Marrow produce a whiping chain of bone shards tearing through metal like a chainsaw through wood Making bone daggers and hurling them is quite different from a mentally controlled chain of bone shards.

That's how I see it anyway.

Ben

Well, I figured before that those bones were weapons but the chain saw effect was surprising. Puck obviously can deliver as much force as she wants, so she can jump awfully far and can deliver hits with who knows, Hulk-level force? Now we also know why she thought she had a chance against Sasquatch in arm-wrestling.

Marvel needs to fix this 'cancellation' mistake, and fast!

#10 was all it was cracked up to be, hope my nephews like it.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

The power is different enough from the mainstrea...I was trying to defend the word "unique" as it is a unique word often misused.
    There's a lot of unique things that can be done with YJ's powers, but bone control is not unique.
    Manikin's powers kind of were.
    www.kozzi.us

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    The power is different enough from the mainstrea...I was trying to defend the word "unique" as it is a unique word often misused.
    There's a lot of unique things that can be done with YJ's powers, but bone control is not unique.
    Manikin's powers kind of were.
    I'm not so sure about that. Manikin's powers are more similar to Flashback's than YJ's are to Marrow's I'd say. You could generalize any power enough to make a case for it not being "unique". Lets maybe use the word original instead

Ben

With the millions apon millions of comic creations these days, you'd be hard-pressed to find a character whos powers were truly 'unique' or 'original'. Everythings been done and twisted ad nauseum. Hell, not including the SUper-Clones, I can think of at least eight characters who have similar powers as Superman, some with small alterations, others carbon copies in different threads. Let's face it, there is no powers that hasn't been done.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

One thing is you can make usage and personality original, like Ghost Girl compared to Kitty Pryde, or Centenniel to Superman, or Flex to Colossus.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.