Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: #10 Discussion (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Wasn't his whole thing that he only acquired his powers at 97 years old? I thought that was supposed to be his "hook".
    At one point he's 97, then 96, then 90, then he was in a coma for 15 years, then 10 and I'm pretty sure he said "two decades" at one point. So I wouldn't be surprised if the time in which he attained his powers changed too lol. That was really my only nit-pic of this series. Small details seemed to change from book to book.

D.
    Yes, that's some cazy continuity...I'm hoping Scott did it intentionally as some sort of gag, but that may not be the case .

Dana
    well, 90 is a nicer rounding than 100. everything else can be chalked up to rounding (15 years is the better part of two decades), unsuredness on the character's parts (the only ones who talk to him for any length of time are Sas and Nemesis), or an oopsie on Scott's part.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    This may just be the artists concept and may have been discussed before, but did anyone else notice in ish 9 when Jack was getting electrocuted, his upper bone structure seemed consist of the same patern as on his outside? He also didn't seem to have any ribs and his pelvic area was up above his abs area. Again this is probably just artist concept, but I wondered if it was maybe a hint as to how he is immortal and how his powers are used.
    If he CAN control his own bones, then it would make sense for him to restructure his skeleton to make it more efficient and less prone to injury.
    Maybe he isnt even consciously aware of it, it may be just a reflex structural change during combat situations.

Dont ya just love speculating about super hero powers?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloo
    Dont ya just love speculating about super hero powers?
    LOL, Tell me about it, I spend most of my time trying to figure out the hows on super-powers, making them work in the context of physics - trust me, not an easy task.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

And that's why I like Box and Feedback and Rogue and Shinobi Shaw and... because while their powers are cool, they're impossible in Newtonian, Einstein, or anyone's physics. Non-examples all.

- Matter can't take up the same space (Box, Shaw) nor can metal change properties without changing chemically (Box).

- Energy cannot hold a shape or move in non-random localized patterns (Louis).

- you can't acquire memories without acquiring neural patterns and you can't do that by touch (Rogue)

- You can't fly without, well, we all know that one (Rogue)

And so on.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

I noticed Jack's skeleton, but it was in a very wordy post that prob'ly put most people off. Always figured it was part of his powers.

Do we have any reason to believe those bones on his flesh aren't his?

Are his powers a combination of Marrow's (bone control) and Ghost Rider's (Ketch - the chain)?

Mokole, the book 'The Science of the X-Men' covers Rogue; but it, as do you, tries to do it without belief in the concept of soul. Without which, its theories about her and telepaths are just reaching, imho.

- Le Messor
    "By following the good, you learn to be good."

liken soul to individual brain waves or frequency and you have a passable compromise that keps the jist without the theology
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Whatever the case, it's a cool power but falls under "the too little too late" category. I doubt having him show his powers earlier would have saved the book, but with every erogent character, you have to create a scenario where you love to hate them. Jack was just basically pouting in the background most of the time (or was eye candy to some). I think his character would have captured more people early on if we'd seen how powerful he was. Even a hint. At least the other characters had human moments before their powers were fully discovered, which wasn't really the case for him.

That's my thoughts anyway.

Cheers,
    D

Images

Much as I'd like to get behind 'our' team, I DO NOT believe that an army of Boxes could take out both the Avengers and the X-Men.

Consider: The Avengers recently (well, in their latest series) took out a whole army of adamantium-laced Ultron-copying, let's face it, Borg. Way more powerful than Box, and the Avengers won.

The X-Men? One word: Sentinels. Many battles.

Both have shown that the teams can more than handle themselves against such an army, and the Box robots aren't as powerful as either. Heck, iirc, before Mac's death, they couldn't even fly. (So why can they here? Okay, let's assume Roxxon developed that feature.)

Hey, since when was Jaxon Roxxon's CEO? He was always a minor operative in the original. And wasn't his first name Jerome, not Jerard? (I can't find the reference, but I'm pretty sure about that.)

Has anyone else noticed that the new Plodex' name, 'Mar', could be short for 'Marrina'? (Besides meaning a stain or a defect.)

- Le Messor
    "By nature, men are nearly alike; by practice, they get to be far apart."

Ah, but never underestimate the value of surprise, and quantity has a quality all its own in battle.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Images

Centennial got his powers as soon as he awoke from the coma. That's been pretty clear from the start.

- Le Messor
    "Mean is assuming the class nerd is nobody's best friend."

I don't know about the whole bone trick! Can you really cut through steel with bone? Last time I checked an aluminum bat was more than enough to smash bone. I think the Boxes would've mopped Yuk up if his "wife" wasn't there to save him. Guess it's that suspension of belief we hear so much about.

I think that's 'suspension of disbelief' buddy and yeah, I think we need a whole truckfull of it with AF's past and present.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    I think that's 'suspension of disbelief' buddy and yeah, I think we need a whole truckfull of it with AF's past and present.
    Hmm, would that be the multiple deaths and rebirths, the many brainwashings, the multiple sex changes, or the sudden revelation that a certain characters' height is due to an ancient demon inside of him? Hmm, yeah after all that, it's hard to bat an eyelash at magical bone cutting through metal lol

Dave