Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada to be Annexed?!?! (A MUST READ FOR EVERYONE)

Quote Originally Posted by ladymako71
    It was scary when you saw the Americans trying to turn the place into 'Little America' because the Aussie's laid back way of life was to far beneath the American standards...I'm not kidding I heard someone say that once..
    American arrogance is no surprise....(nor ignorance).
    How American culture (read: Disneyland) is superior to any other nations' is far beyond me...
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    (No wonder the world doesn't take us seriously: we get our national pride from a beer commercial!)
    Yikes. I don't get my national pride nor identity from a beer...particularly a very bad one. Who cares that Coors snatched it up...it tasted so bad it may as well have been an American brand.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

Quote Originally Posted by tkmadison
    Quote Originally Posted by ladymako71
    It was scary when you saw the Americans trying to turn the place into 'Little America' because the Aussie's laid back way of life was to far beneath the American standards...I'm not kidding I heard someone say that once..
    American arrogance is no surprise....(nor ignorance).
    How American culture (read: Disneyland) is superior to any other nations' is far beyond me...
    Please don't lump us all together, guys.....we're not all like that.

Dana

Please don't lump us all together, guys.....we're not all like that.

Dana
    My apologies....didn't mean for it to sound that way.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

No worries.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    I pity any country who trys to invade Canada. There is not a citizen up there who doesn't know how to effectively wield:

A.) A gun, big or small
    B.) A hockey stick or a crosse
    C.) A fish as a deadly weapon.

I can see where the US would seek to be able to enter unobstructed to protect our borders but lets face it we're so screwed up down here that it would never happen.
    But you have so far to catch up to US for per-capita murders with those guns and sticks and fish...you should look at this (if it comes to pass) as a GREAT opportunity!
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Having spent considerable time in Europe over the last few years (up to five months a calendar year) I have seen hints of the atiitude some people there have that a Canadian is no different from an America. Kind of the same as they laugh at Americans who say "I'm Italian" (or whatever nationallity) and respond, "no, you're an American, fat ash." Kind of the same tongue in cheek humor Americans have when dealing with Englishmen who don't consider themselves European.
    Putting aside the politics of who the current Prime Minister and president are:
    what Phil and Del's take on this?
    I'll try and adress this. Firstly re Canada, my impression of Canada has always been a country that America should try to become more like, instead of vice versa. Having the opportunity to talk to Canadians on the net, probably gives me a different viewpoint and I can totally understand the Canadians being the same as American concept, it's total bolloxs of course, but I can see where it's coming from.

Regarding myself, I consider myself to be English first, British at a push and European after I'm worm fodder. We've spilt enough blood keeping the bastards at bay for hundreds of years and what Napolean, Hitler and the King of Spain couldn't manage with force, we gladly give them through EU edicts.

Regarding Canada being under American command at times of need etc, this is exactly what Stalin did after World War 2. IMHO America is a young country that is making the mistake all great powers have made. Build an empire, subjugate then play nice and eventually withdraw. Roman Empire lasted 400+ years. British for about 150, America, who knows? Let Bush have his fun in the sun, he's gonna be busy for the next four years ****ing up the world, the 58 million plus who voted for him this time will be four years wiser come the next election.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I myself would not lump all Americans together. I have seen a few on the internet who know that:
    -America is not perfect
    -America treats other countries (especially ones that try to be nice, like Canada) as poorly as the human rights thing will let them get away with
    -America is very flawed in many ways
    -America is responsible for many horrible things happening around the world (if you watch "Bowling For Columbine", you'll be able to calculate by Moore's evidence that America is responsible for the deaths of millions of innocents, among the other things they've done)
    -most of the world's incredibly black-hearted megaconglomerate businesses, such as Disney and Microsoft are American

However, the AVERAGE American is a total dumbass who believes in that ludicrous "Land-of-the-Free" propaganda which has been drilled into his head since before he was born. He will vote for the man who is obviously a total slimeball and a cokeheaded idiot to boot, simply because said man promised to protect him from, and destroy the big bad terrorists (who in fact aren't really there).

To be blunt, I don't think America will actually CONQUER Canada, because they have to retain a public worldwide image of non-imperialism; if they do become imperialists like the English were way back then, then nobody would deliberately cooperate with them. I don't think America will ever literally annex us, not even while its being run by Bush. It's just not their style. Yes, they'll try to take even more economic and political ground than they did before and blame even more of what they're responsible for on we Canadians, but I don't think we'll ever be legally, factually Americans. They'll just try to jerk us around a lot (and more than usual with Bush running it), but probably not much else. As for this whole stupid military plan which I did not read all of because of its obvious ridiculousness, I've never seen anything occur which even slightly indicates that it's about to happen. So don't get your underwear bunched up; you should probably be worrying about the dying healthcare system and that incompetent dork Paul Martin. I mean, really, a man with that level of blatant incompetence and irresponsibility just doesn't deserve to be Prime Minister; he was never even ELECTED. He's just Prime Minster because Chretien gave the word before he left, and he didn't even make a very smart choice.
    Canada rules supreme.

Quote Originally Posted by Nogoodnamesleft
    However, the AVERAGE American is a total dumbass who believes in that ludicrous "Land-of-the-Free" propaganda which has been drilled into his head since before he was born.
    We're as free as we allow ourselves to be. Most sell their freedom to become wage slaves and having the newest and best and latest and loudest to keep up with the neighbors.

the AVERAGE American is a total dumbass
    You must be in the extremely UNDER-AVERAGE Canadian class, eh?
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

[quote/]incompetent dork Paul Martin. I mean, really, a man with that level of blatant incompetence and irresponsibility just doesn't deserve to be Prime Minister; he was never even ELECTED. He's just Prime Minster because Chretien gave the word before he left, and he didn't even make a very smart choice.[/quote]

Didn't we just have elections last year? Pretty sure I voted. Not for him but i voted.....

Also the Liberal Party made him the party leader not Chretien.

Johnny CANUCK

Also the Liberal Party made him the party leader not Chretien.
    And we all know how much those 2 loooooooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eee each other! (read sarcasm here)

I've heard a lot of accusations levelled at Martin, and some of 'em have the ring of truth to them... but incompetent? Thank God that kid was banned, because his diatribe was brain-busting.

I'm waiting to see what the next budget looks like. The current finance minister is very much cast in Martin's mould (no surprise), and the funding allocated to the military will be a strong indicator of how serious the Libs are about maintaining Canadian sovereignty. I know that, at the very least, our soldiers are scheduled for a long overdue pay raise, but the military needs far, far more than that to once again prove a viable entity on the world stage.

Default Well,

It looks like you oughta be dissapointed, as that military budget bought new troops only. We don't need new troops, we need new equipment. I mean, if you line up a thousand troops with no equipment besides a nice pair of boots, and send them against one guy in a giant battle robot, the robot will WIN!! We need to get ourselves a robot!

Canada has vetoed participation in the whole crazy Star Wars style missle defense. Yay!
    However I read in some American press that the ambassador to Canada said something to the effect that Canada's refusal to participate is akin to them giving up the sovreignity by allowing the U.S. to determine how to eliminate airborne threats to Canada.

Why oh why is my country run by neo-con freaks!

(oh, well. I am moving to Japan in 3 weeks. wait, I will still be upset about politics.)