Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long Live the Legion!

Default Long Live the Legion!

Along with Alpha Flight, the LSH is my favorite team book.

Though tey couldn't be more different in scope, I think both Alpha and the Legion are similar in taht both titles have small but fierecly loyal hardcore fans. And neither book recieves the respect it deserves.

Any other Legion fans out there?

Default Re: Long Live the Legion!

Quote Originally Posted by oneyoungman
    Along with Alpha Flight, the LSH is my favorite team book.

Though tey couldn't be more different in scope, I think both Alpha and the Legion are similar in taht both titles have small but fierecly loyal hardcore fans. And neither book recieves the respect it deserves.

Any other Legion fans out there?
    Right here, dawg!

I stopped buying comics for a while, and was never able to catch up with the Legion. I'm fanatical about buying every single issue in order, but being that this is pretty well staring from scratch, I'm hopping on.

I got started with the Giffen run in the early 80's, just before the Great Darkness saga. My favourite character then was Timber Wolf and I thought he got screwed over as time went on, though his tribute to Karate Kid some time back is still a personal favourite story.

Long Live The Legion! Hopefully they can do it justice.

I've been a fan of the Legion ever since I was nine years old. Great book! My friends loved it, also. We discussed the stories endlessly, and even made up a few of our own. (Forerunner to fan-fics?) Our favorite characters were Sun Boy and Duo Damsel. I still remember the Legion fondly.

BTW, does anyone remember a spin-off team from the Legion book, the Wanderers? They were to the Legion what Alpha Flight is to the X-Men. I even had a favorite character from there: Quantum Queen. (Gee, why must I always have favorite characters? )

PS: The Wanderers had their own spin-off book for about twelve issues. Why must great teams be cancelled so quickly?

Hi Birdy girl and Ottowa Renegade!

I've actually only been reading the Legion for a few years now, but I am a total fanatic! I have all the archives and everything!

My favorite era, by far, was the "TMK" (5-year gap) of the early ninties. I know a lot of people hated it, but I loved the complexity and maturity of the stories.

i'm really looking forward to the new series. I was a little skeptical about
    another reboot, but I have faith in Waid and Kitson.

I have read the Wanderes series, but to be honest I didn't understand it very much. The whole clone thing confused me.

Quantum Queen, though, was the coolest member hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by birdygirl
    PS: The Wanderers had their own spin-off book for about twelve issues. Why must great teams be cancelled so quickly?
    I recall the Wanderers but couldn't really get into it. I thought the art was poor and the characters didn't do much for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oneyoungman
    I've actually only been reading the Legion for a few years now, but I am a total fanatic! I have all the archives and everything!

My favorite era, by far, was the "TMK" (5-year gap) of the early ninties. I know a lot of people hated it, but I loved the complexity and maturity of the stories.
    You know, probably mine too. They gave you enough to figure everything out if you put your mind to it a little. And you really got a sense of the history these characters had with one another.

Two issues from that time stand out to me; When Roxxas butchered them on Wynath (I believe, I have a tendency to forget names. I'm not 25 anymore you know!). It appeared as though he totally wiped them out and I was genuinely concerned for the next character he'd come across. And "Sun Boy's story" at around issue 28 or so was terrifying.

Well my two favorite characters were Karate Kid and Cosmic Lad and guess who is in the new legion of Super-Heroes comic. Now we just need Bouncing Boy to join.
    This new Legion series is fantastic. The goats in Brainac 5 lab were so funny and Dream Girl telling Brainac 5 they will get married was great to. She was kidding right? lol
    I like the fact that this team comic has them working as a team. They do not have a lot of infighting if any. They work well as a team.
    Richard Vasseur

Just to date myself terribly: My favourite character for the longest time was Ferro Lad. Granted, I ran across the character in one of the 1970's reprint digests, but still... old.

I liked a lot of what was done with the Legion in the 70's. They had a more adventuresome feel to them at that point. They had matured from the Silver Age whitebread state, but hadn't yet fallen into the grim n' gritty trend that would later follow. Instead they were a team that did big things, and it all seemed pretty cool when I was a kid.

That is one of the best things about this new series its not grim and gritty. Its full of hope. And youthful exuberance.
    I used to like Ferro Lad to but I only saw him in flash backs all the issues with him in that I saw he was already dead.
    Richard Vasseur

I'm glad that somebody revisited this topic, because I had planned to.

I'm heard mixed things about the series, then finally got around to picking up both #1 and #2 this past weekend. I'm pretty pleased and will keep going. You guys mentioned some of the neat spots; I was tickled by Brainiac's frustration at Dream Girl's ability to do so casually what he can't do scientifically.

I look forward to new takes on old villains. So far so good.

Man alive, I just finished reading #4 now. I'm impressed. This book has surpassed my expectations. You get the sense that Mark Waid sat down and really planned out each character. They all seem to have a bit of a twist added to their abilities and/or personalities now that make a lot of sense to me.

There was something I was a little unsure about at first: I sort of enjoyed how different members would have little cliques within the group. Mon-El, Ultra Boy, Phantom Girl and Shadow Lass, for instance. That doesn't seem to be happening (at least yet), and certain relationships that you're so used to seeing are also not happening (at least for now). I don't really see a need to get away from that though. It's not too much of a bring down or anything, I just don't really a benefit to splitting up, say, Phantom Girl and Ultra Boy.

And I miss Timber Wolf, who was my favourite member back in the 80's.

One thing I'm not to sure about is Chamelon Boy being palyed as the class clown. As long as they do not over play it it should be ok.
    Ultra Boy and Shadow Lass might still get together. He didn't seem to completely enjoy his date with Triplicate Girl. I like Cosmic Boy using a spy to help him maintain control of the Legion. He is showing he can be tricky to.
    Richard Vasseur

I just find Timber Wolf sexy as hell! I do hope he shows up sooner or later (preferably with a low cut costume!). Shrinking Violet was a big fave too so I'm looking forward to seeing her.

To be honest I wasn't really all that impressed with the title for the first two issues, but issue 3 just blew me away. I loved Triplicate Girl's origin story, it was heartbreaking and helped balance out the humour in the issue.

I look forward to seeing how the title developes.

I want to see Bouncing Boy in the Legion. He is my third favorite. Wildfire would be nice to see as well.
    Richard Vasseur