Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm taking action....anybody want to join me?

That's a great letter, Ben...I'll have to send him another in a similar vein to yours.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    here's the answer I got from Joe Quesada to my email...

no subject

Thanks for your concern with Alpha Flight, unfortunately the orders on
    the
    book weren't what we would have hoped for. However, that's the beauty
    of
    comics, the fans decide what stays and what doesn't, so it is
    completely democratic
    in that fashion.

Best,
    JQ
    I got that same, exact email today... Twice.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Ah....You just have to loathe form letters. Grrrrr.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Quesada
    no subject

Thanks for your concern with Alpha Flight, unfortunately the orders on
    the book weren't what we would have hoped for. However, that's the beauty of comics, the fans decide what stays and what doesn't, so it is completely democratic in that fashion.

Best,
    JQ
    That's just a load of horse manure.

The "orders" are placed by retailers and that's not necessarily comics stores. I'm guessing here, but I bet the percentage of comic stores to other chain retailers/newstands (Borders, Barnes & Noble, etc.) is something like 25% to 75% respectively. There's loads more retailers like book stores and newstands and convenience stores (like Stop'n'Go or 7-11) that are only going to order the higher selling books for a sure thing that month - they don't want to pay for low print run comics that they then have to toss if it doesn't pan out. AF worked, it sold the copies they printed and he claims the orders weren't high? That's backwards logic.

What he really means is that Marvel didn't solicit it properly and didn't market it and when the sales looked dreary the blamed it on those numbers rather than putting ads in shops or whatever. I don't think the style appealed to many of us hard-liners either, people who've been fans since volume 1 issue 1, and that doesn't seem to be taken into account with MrQ either. If he asked me if I wanted a Nightcrawler, Mystique, Rogue or Alpha Flight book, if he asked any average Marvel reader that, I'd bet AF wins out. The shere saturation of X-titles is astounding (no pun intended) and yet they can't find a way to solicit AF as a viable title?

These orders were placed months ago - 4 or more in many cases, where retailers have to commit to placing a book on thier shelves. John Byrne talked about this in one of his "flame" articles way back in the Next Men days and it looks as if he was right. The numbers for AF were aproximately the same and Marvel has reaacted in the same manner too.

What they need to do is pop AF into the Ultimates universe and give them a really good treatment. Heck, anyone committed to the title allowed to stick with it long enough to develop a decent story arc would do wonders. Hell, get a big name on there and your sales double, but telling fans that it came down to crappy orders...that's lame.

I for one will not buy an Ultimate AF...period. I despise what Marvel has done to their characters via the Ultimate line of books. No offense intended, Cliff(this isn't a personal attack)...but I don't see that popping AF into the Ultimates universe would be giving them a "really good treatment". Putting any characters into said universe is more like crapping on them and calling them "Kewl"(IMO).

To me, the Ultimate books are nothing more than a dilution(and degeneration) of the original Marvel characters, whether they be the Avengers, X-Men, FF, AF, etc...Trying to pass themselves off as the cooler, more modern versions of our beloved super heroes...I'll pass.

Hmmmm...darker, nastier, grittier, (more like villains than heroes) versions of our heroes, with lamer origins(FF anyone?)...Not what I want to read in a "Super Hero" book....thanks.

Marvel will NOT get my money for an Ultimate AF. Sorry for the rant....back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Dana

I get U:FF and U:Avengers and that's it. The other books are a little lame, so I avoid them, but there's a distinct thread about Banner trying to figure out what he's done to himself in terms of the gamma radiation and it's a perfect oportunity for an U:AF to like in ther and with whatever Wolverine's backstory is.

However, my main point in mentioning that line is that (A) it's a separate line marketted separately and (B) it gives them the opportunity to ad some legitimacy to AF with a clean slate. The (A) point is more important, and I understand your opinion concerning point (B). With separate marketing and solicitation to retailers who already order the lower print run Ultimates book (again I'm guessing here on print run, but it's a more premium printing with fewer advertisements so that's why I assume that). See what I mean?

I signed up, but it won't let me post, so I just sent an email to Joe at
    http://www.marvel.com/publishing/sto...story.htm?id=6
    Hopefully they give this book another chance along with a BIG push like they did Captain Marvel and Spider-Girl

Well I've emailed Marvel again, warning them that if they cancel AF they lose me as a reader (except for Cable & Deadpool) - which means they lose 1 reader from at least 10 titles a month!.

Anyone know how the Syrup campaign is going? I would join in but I cant find any Canadian MS over here in Manchester, UK.
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlettspiderg
    Anyone know how the Syrup campaign is going? I would join in but I cant find any Canadian MS over here in Manchester, UK.
    All I know is that I've sent some in, I haven't gotten feedback from anyone else saying that they have. If you can't find any Canadian syrop, any will do to get the point accross.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by 50181
    Hopefully they give this book another chance along with a BIG push like they did Captain Marvel and Spider-Girl
    There is a waiting period, before you can post....I joined earlier this year...and i don't remember how long that period is. Any of the more recent joiners wan't to let him know how long it is?

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Quote Originally Posted by 50181
    There is a waiting period, before you can post....I joined earlier this year...and i don't remember how long that period is. Any of the more recent joiners wan't to let him know how long it is?

Dana
    It was 5 days for me

Ben

It's been longer than five days for me and I still can't post.

Almost exactly 17 days for me to get access. Huh?
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

don't know how many days, I'm assuming about the same as Ben, and I still can't post (as of yesterday)
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.