Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: After Alpha #12

But people are always happy to see AF characters exist in some book (3-4 in Weapon X, 1 in X-Men) than see them all in limbo.

To me, that's one way to deal with all the characters; ANADAF, Byrne AF in space, ex-Afers being criminals, 2 in X-Men, one in Avengers, 3 in Weapon X... At least it shows that some of these characters (notably Sasquatch, Northstar, Box, Aurora, and Wild Child) are popular with comic writers.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    But people are always happy to see AF characters exist in some book (3-4 in Weapon X, 1 in X-Men) than see them all in limbo.
    What people?

Me, I very quickly tend to put them in the 'no longer AF' category when they're in another team. Marrina, Northstar, Aurora, WildChild (especially), I don't have all their appearances, and don't plan to.

Unless they rejoin for v4... Please...

- Le Messor
    Calvin: People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don’t realise how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world.
    Hobbes: Do you know your fly's undone?

But I'm a character guy, so if Box is being used I'm not sad about it. After all, not being a Hudson fan I found ANADAF more likeable. Play the same game but with the Hudsons et al going after the Plodex and I doubt I would've bought 2 issues.

That being said, it's hard to deal with everyone in AF in one book, given that they keep bringing back dead players (Mac, Snowbird, Mac, Mac, now maybe even Marrina ).

Keep v4 early on Byrne AF, then have a trauma to allow two or three other characters to come back and replace the Hudsons or one Hudson and whoever. It could be done long term with a Dreamqueen storyline too, with her affecting people's dreams to rid Earth of the people who could stop her (Talisman, Pathway, Witchfire, Goblyn, most anyone ever in AF because they would realize the danger, Avengers and X-Men wouldn't deal with it quickly and she'd gain her victory). Byrne AF would realize too late that everything that's happened to them in the last 10 issues, including all those deaths, are connected to Dreamqueen and they'd have to take the fight to her before they're all dead and she has a free pass to our reality.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Keep v4 early on Byrne AF. It could be done long term with a Dreamqueen storyline too, with her affecting people's dreams to rid Earth of the people who could stop her.
    That's pretty much exactly what I'd always planned to do, when I was a rich, famous writer in charge of AF. But I'm not rich, not famous, and definitely not in charge of AF.

So, I just imagine, if there's a v4, it'll be yet another unrecognisable group of strangers, in a completely different style.

- Le Messor
    "Celebrate Hannibal Day today. Take an elephant to lunch."

I need to be more positive and hope for a more familiar line up in vol 4. As I've said...new faces are great, but not an entirely new cast with every relaunch. There HAS to be something familiar or they might as well title the book something else.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    (PS: Ed - any idea when we'll be getting a sneak-preview of UAF? I know I'm dying of curiousity!)
    I know, I know... I'm bloody late in responding. Tom's currently waiting for my next inked pages, since he's got the first couple coloured. Here's a one-panel sample of how things should end up looking. Even though it'll just be a fanfic looking at an alternate view of the early days of Alpha, we're working hard to make sure this is as professional-looking as possible.

Okay, that's it, I offically claim envy-rights on Ed...

But could you give us a bit MORE of a peek - like at a character or twelve?! Pweeaassee??

No? Aw...

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to sit in this corner and cry...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

very nice.

where is said book gonna be available?

here on af.net?

I was planning on putting it up on my website -- already got a page cleared for it. There just happens to be nothing there at the moment.

Edit: BTW, Allan, don't underestimate the impact of Tom's colouring. His colours are amazing. I'm hoping to drag him into the industry if I end up getting a few paying gigs... I doubt they'll let me pick the colourer I work with, but if so, it'll be him.

Oh, trust me, Ed, I don't. That's part of the envy I claim: not only your talent, but the talent you work with. The fact you get to work with these people on a semi-regular basis, makes me want to scowl....
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

this you?

http://home.golden.net/~enorthcott/html/main.html

if so you need to shamesly self promote more. i had to google it!!

That's because I use it as a targetted marketing tool. It's basically an online portfolio that gets sent out to art directors, editors, etc. The general public has little to no interest in my work, so my site has remained off the indexes like Yahoo.

ahhhhhhh.....

ic.

well, your art looks awesome, and its good yo know that someone as talented as you is whole heartedly interested in alpha.

the big 2 are crazy for not hiring you.

Thanks. We'll see how things go in the coming year: I've been on the fringe with them for years, with some editors having a long list of complaints about my work, and others having only one or two niggling little details. Another simply said that if he'd had work for me at the moment, he'd have given it to me... but then later on recanted that and suggested there were areas that needed improvement before he'd hire me. *shrug* I often think that opinion depends on what kind of a day they're having before they see my work.

But there's a couple possible things in the air right now, and time will tell how they turn out.