Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sasquatch vs. Wendigo

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Well, Wendy came first. But he has a tail, and Sas doesn't.

Sas already took the name 'Tanaraq' and became a bad guy.
    Still, my point is that I don't think that Wendigo should look like Sasquatch...doesn't matter who came first...
    They made a big blunder waaaaaay back in Hulk 180.

Quote Originally Posted by tkmadison
    I dunno if 'appearance and powers' of a hockey puck is what i'd describe him as having. After all, we all know that hockey pucks don't have mystical powers.
    I think the hockey reference fits him perfectly; he's small, fast and can knock people's teeth out.

Still, my point is that I don't think that Wendigo should look like Sasquatch...doesn't matter who came first...
    They made a big blunder waaaaaay back in Hulk 180.
    Actually, according to legend, they DIDN'T make a mistake. Wendigoes and sasquatches are supposedly similar in appearance (huge, protohumans with a lot of hair). THe only major difference is that Wendigoes are flesh-eaters with glowing eyes. Sasquatches have never been shown to be violent - until the twentieth century, when they were shown to be such for poor marketting reasons, just like bears.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

[quote]Actually, according to legend, they DIDN'T make a mistake. Wendigoes and sasquatches are supposedly similar in appearance (huge, protohumans with a lot of hair).quote]

Depends on who does the defining.
    The Anicinabe don't describe a Wendigo as anything close to a sasquatch.

[quote="tkmadison"]
    Actually, according to legend, they DIDN'T make a mistake. Wendigoes and sasquatches are supposedly similar in appearance (huge, protohumans with a lot of hair)[/.quote]

Depends on who does the defining.
    The Anicinabe don't describe a Wendigo as anything close to a sasquatch.
    Assuming you mean 'Assiniboine', you're correct - for the most part, they don't HAVE a description beyond 'malicious, intended to be a hunter of hunters'. However, Marvel WAS correct in their description of Wendigo in a generalised sence. They took the most prominant features, added some effects for dramatic porpoises, and VOILA!! we have Wendy!

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    The character Wendigo shares a common first appearance with Wolverine: Incredible Hulk # 181 (tho iirc, it was shown proir to being named in 180, for a quick page)
    Right. In Uncanny X-Men #139-140, Wolverine mention his Wendigo encounter with Guardian, Snowbird, and Shaman, when he pops by to pay the Alpha Flight team a visit to deal with his Weapon X contract, and mentions how he had to deal with the Wendigo and all. And I believe, doesn't the Wendigo return in Sabretooth's limited series, or maybe I'm thinking that. I know Sasquatch does.

Quote Originally Posted by James Howlett
    Quote Originally Posted by Cliff
    The character Wendigo shares a common first appearance with Wolverine: Incredible Hulk # 181 (tho iirc, it was shown proir to being named in 180, for a quick page)
    Right. In Uncanny X-Men #139-140, Wolverine mention his Wendigo encounter with Guardian, Snowbird, and Shaman, when he pops by to pay the Alpha Flight team a visit to deal with his Weapon X contract, and mentions how he had to deal with the Wendigo and all. And I believe, doesn't the Wendigo return in Sabretooth's limited series, or maybe I'm thinking that. I know Sasquatch does.
    First off, James:

1) in UXM 139 and 140, he's prolly meantioning the encounter he had in Hulk 181, prior to his induction into the X-Men. (I'm guessing here, since I don't know if he had another encounter while with the X-Men)
    2) Wendigo does apparently return in Sabretooth, as does Sasquatch who appears to be there BECAUSE of Wendigo. Also, this isn't really a 'return', since, in the last decade, that I've seen at least, I can count five different appearances of Wendigo (many in Wolverine, as well as in Hulk and the foregone Captain Marvel series), as well as a few in the 80's, including an allusion in Alpha Flight volume one.
    3) You have Cliff making that quote. Actually, it should read (I like to be recognised for what I say. )

Assuming you mean 'Assiniboine', you're correct
    No, I mean Anicinabe. More commonly called Ojibway, but that word isn't their own...it's a name that the Sioux gave them meaning "bark eaters."
    You will see the name of Ojibway more than Anicinabe, I'm sure.
    Their description does go beyond [quote]'malicious, intended to be a hunter of hunters'.[quote] as I mentioned earlier in this post.

I can count five different appearances of Wendigo (many in Wolverine, as well as in Hulk and the foregone Captain Marvel series
    And let's not forget (or maybe we should try) his appearance in that awful Spiderman series Todd McFarlane penned that guested Wolverine....

I can count five different appearances of Wendigo (many in Wolverine, as well as in Hulk and the foregone Captain Marvel series
    And let's not forget (or maybe we should try) his appearance in that awful Spiderman series Todd McFarlane penned that guested Wolverine....
    Considering I'm a MacFarlane fan, I'm gonna let that slide -- this time

I just knew MacFarlane had a fan, no other reasons for his presence in the comics world
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Considering I'm a MacFarlane fan, I'm gonna let that slide -- this time
    Hey his art is just fine.
    I just don't think writing is his bag. Congratulations to a great Canadian comic book artist for building his empire, but try as I might I just didn't like Spawn, and I never thought his writing was that good.
    Ugh...never mind his early attempts at colouring in his Spider Man series...
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah