Thread: Do "Heads" count? / Awesome Byrne Art

Default Do "Heads" count? / Awesome Byrne Art

I'm not sure if a floating "Head" counts as an appearance, but I notice that Marvel Fanfare # 29 (Oct 1986) features Sasquatch's head. I picked up issue 29 back in the day after the Alpha Flight story in issue 28, hoping to see more Alpha, but instead, I got a wonderful treat. It's actually an Incredible Hulk story, pencilled by John Byrne. It's quite unusual in that each panel is a full page. Basically you get an entire comic of absolutely wonderful FULL PAGE Byrne illustrations. Sas's head appears in a field of various other Marvel char heads. Check it out, if you're a Byrne fan, Sas fan, or you think a floating "Head" counts as an AF appearance.

Love,
    rplass

PS Wasn't there a silly self-referential floating head joke in a recent TANADAF issue?

I certainly think that counts! One of many appearances I have to track down. One of these days I'll make a proper list of what I'm missing, take it to the comic shop, leave it with him, and come back in a week and see what puts together for me...yah, I'm too lazy to hunt through boxes

Welcome to Alpha Waves rplass! Pull up a pillow in the cupboard and make yerself comfy

Ben

Well, now! If floating "Heads" count, then you'll also see Snowbird's head floating around on page 5 of Mephisto vs. The X-Men #3 (Jun 1987).

Love,
    rplass

BTW, I found the reference: Issue 6 of TANADAF has all the floating head jokes

Quote Originally Posted by rplass
    BTW, I found the reference: Issue 6 of TANADAF has all the floating head jokes
    yah, and wasn't taken too lightly around here
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Gee, I really like the silly self-referential humor... I think it's what makes TANADAF stand out from the other titles. I find many of the other titles, especially the X-titles, to be quite dark, serious, somber, morose, agonizing and full of tragedy, loss, death, anguish and despair. Come on, they are supposed to be COMIC books. Then you get Alpha Flight poking fun at themselves, satirizing their own format [in the case of the floating head jokes] and drawn with such brightness and humor. I actually find myself grinning at the end of reading each new issue.

I mean, look at the cover of issue #2 - before I even opened it I was grinning - it's a silly picture of a gigantic, tremendously strong and potentially destructive beast slapping his own forehead. Contrast that to the 500+ Wolvie covers depicting a hero {??} with snarling saliva dripping from an angry firey-eyed face of feral lust.

Anyway what I am trying to say is that Alpha Flight is the best comic book ever. I'm surprised that the floating head jokes, well, sank like a stone.

Love,
    rplass

I agree! I LOVED that bit of side-humour, but nearly everyone else here hated it. Meh, I guess we're the odd ones out.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine