Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: alpha #9

Default alpha #9

i absolutely loved it.

i'll wait for bens full review before i start spewing abbout it, but needless to say it was my favorite issue by far and the rest of this arc should be awesome!

It was my favorite issue so far, which may not be saying much, but I'm wondering what happened to the east block of Parliament and the gargoyles on the peace tower?

This issue snatched the title from the "unsubscribe pile" for a few more issues.

For once I got Alpha Flight the day it came out. From the surprise at the start to the fight to the awkward and poorly thought out solution (two birds with one stone? And Bochs' death and Auric and....?). I liked this issue a lot and already 3 people have borrowed it to read it! And I've only had the thing for... 2 hours! Zuzha's ridiculously incredible acrobatics make one think she can either control her momentum or control her mass somehow.

All those Box robots will need to get clobbered like #10 cover shows. I guess the next contestant in time-travel roulette should be Centenniel. Wonder what his task will be, undo the first mistake
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

And I'm guessing we see the 'marriage proposal'.

Puck covers over 30 feet in one move, if you count the up and down it's over 50 feet she goes from stop to start without adding any energy (I mean normal energy) to her move.

And notice Thunder carrying back... Oh, I better not spoil it! Even though most anyone could guess who it could be once they know about the fight.

Issue #9 was very good, issue #10 should be real cracker, looking forward to it even more!

Live it.

Nice to see the "Where's Flashback" thread finale delt with. :P

Major Mapleleaf's new uniform, MUCH better. :P

Hey look, Big Hero 6. :P

Overall I give this ish a: A-

MM =D>

Great issue.

Clayton is BACK! Thank the lord.

Great story, even if the time travel stuff was confusing. At least they made fun of how little sense it all made. :P

It wasn't a great representation of Parliament Hill (something I see nearly every day on the way to work), you need to give some breathing room in these things. Oddly enough, the look of the interior of the Parliament was fairly accurate.

Lou spent lots of time in 'those hallowed halls'? I mean, it's open to the public, but no kid would hang around in there. And a Mountie, even a high-ranking one with superpowers, wouldn't see much of the Center Block.

But yeah, the writing is consistently getting better, and Henry is as awesome as ever. Just don't take him off this book again. Ever.

I didn't think this issue was any better than the last 8.

They were great and so was this.

Am I the only one having trouble getting my issues? Last month I was told I had just missed the last issue of #8 when I went into the store. For #9 and #5, I went in as they were putting the comics on the shelves and they said I got the days wrong. Last night they told me #9 came in 2 weeks ago! I told them they were mistaken but that's what their computers said.

Agh!! So I asked them to order me the copies so hopefully they are on their way. Still they don't want to order anymore copies then they have to (which in this case is 2). And like I said before, I can't get a pull list so there goes that idea.

Anyway, just wanted to vent and see if anyone else had this problem.

Ciao for now!
    Dave

Hey Dave,

Your comic store sounds awfully confused! Maybe they need a new computer system...Allow me to suggest doing advanced orders online from a company located here in PEI (the owner is Silverarrow, a new member on the forum) http://www.sasquatchcomics.com Prices are good, and it's not far from you at all, so shouldn't take too long after it comes out for you to get it. He also has most of the other issues of V.3 available if you are missing any.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    Am I the only one having trouble getting my issues? Last month I was told I had just missed the last issue of #8 when I went into the store. For #9 and #5, I went in as they were putting the comics on the shelves and they said I got the days wrong. Last night they told me #9 came in 2 weeks ago! I told them they were mistaken but that's what their computers said.

Agh!! So I asked them to order me the copies so hopefully they are on their way. Still they don't want to order anymore copies then they have to (which in this case is 2). And like I said before, I can't get a pull list so there goes that idea.

Anyway, just wanted to vent and see if anyone else had this problem.

Ciao for now!
    Dave

Dave
    Your shop sounds specifically unsuppotive of the title. I would think on any title, having at least 1 shelf copy can bring in a new subscriber...but they DON'T have a pull system? They sound lazy. I'd find another shop.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Hey Dave,

Your comic store sounds awfully confused! Maybe they need a new computer system...Allow me to suggest doing advanced orders online from a company located here in PEI (the owner is Silverarrow, a new member on the forum) http://www.sasquatchcomics.com Prices are good, and it's not far from you at all, so shouldn't take too long after it comes out for you to get it. He also has most of the other issues of V.3 available if you are missing any.

Ben
    Hey Ben,
    Thanks man, I'll try them for the next issue. You're right, it's not far at all. I figured there'd be a system here on the main land but comics don't seem to be as big around here as even a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    Dave
    Your shop sounds specifically unsuppotive of the title. I would think on any title, having at least 1 shelf copy can bring in a new subscriber...but they DON'T have a pull system? They sound lazy. I'd find another shop.
    Actually they DO have a pull system, I just can't get one. Long story, my friends fault lol. It's the other shop that doesn't have a system and they stopped carrying Alpha with Issue 2. They seem jump on and off the bandwagon. Ah well, I'll try Ben's site.

Thanks for caring!
    D.

Question: I know Yuk' is a jerk, and I know two chicks fighting is hot, but why oh why did he say "yum" when Sasquatch was trying to stop Nemisis from killing Puck?

I mean, there were two corpses laying on the ground beside him. It's weird.

i loves nemesis's "fuzzy bunny".

that had me laughing out loud.

It's been a few days so now I'll say more.

The fight with Big Hero 6 was great to kick things off. Sasquatch outsmarting Baymax, Puck making Sunpyre look bad before clobbering Honey Lemon, Centenniel taking out Sunpyre and Gogo Tomago (I always liked Gogo for some reason). Then we find out that BG6 is mind-controlled somehow and Flashback shows up to make his appeal.

His pleas confuse at least two AFers but they agree to help when Nemesis points out her sword, Scell, can effectively help her do time travel. But to do so she must kill Flashback and Major Mapleleaf so that MML can go back and prevent Hudson from joining Roxxon in New York.

He does so but things don't go right (surprise) and the remaining AFers face an army of Box robots at the end. More time travel to fix the mistake of not simply going to West Edmonton Mall and preventing the Flashback futureself from getting impaled will now happen in issue #10.

- Why did Sasquatch even consider the time travel plan, and why did Nemesis so quickly put her plan into motion? Ah, you'd think the vets would know better. Puck still hasn't shown off her powers but bouncing 30+ feet from tree to tree shows she's way more than 'acrobatic'. Having teams like Big Hero Six and the Super Soldiers show up from time to time is a great idea, allies with similar goals about peacekeeping and sovereignty, though that has nothing to do with #9.
    - Henry's art is as good as always, and the plot has no holes. It shows just how awkward time travel really should be and why.
    - Yukon Jack's proposal to Puck is quickly laughed off. Lobdell does have these characters figured out and keeps them consistent. Man, how I hate X-Men angst and love not seeing it here!
    - Big expectations for #10: seeing Puck's powers, more of what Yukon Jack can do (if anything beyond lights), the Box robot fights, and what Centenniel will have to do to fix this mess. Also, what exactly has happened that an army of Box robots (30-40 foot tall Bochs-style robots, though red) is sent after them??

Live it.

Pretty good issue! I liked the team interaction(although I'd prefer to see the original team back and acting this way to each other...as friends and not bickering teammates)and the direction the story seems to be going in.

I noticed Sunpyre in the ranks of Big hero Six.....but isn't she dead? She was murdered by the Brotherhood in one of the X-Men books, during Banshee's X-Corps storyline. Another unexplained resurrection of comics? She's a bad character concept anyway....she should have stayed dead.

Dana