Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: if you wrote alpha flight.

Well, I compiled a spread sheet in excel (nothing complicated - just a list) but there's too many options for a Poll. Too many Alphans, folks.

Now what?

Who knows? Me, as I think today:

True Byrne AF
    Puck
    Sasquatch
    Shaman

Post 'Byrne' AF
    Box
    Feedback
    Windshear
    Nemesis
    Witchfire

Seagle AF
    Ghost Girl
    Flinch

Lobdell AF
    Puck
    Centenniel
    Major Mapleleaf (already have Sasquatch and Nemesis)
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    actually, Cliff, I wanna limit myself to Canadian Nationals who were actually members of Alpha. I don't want the list TOO big. BH6 - except maybe Sunfire, I haven't decided -, tho good characters, aren't Alpha Character (Even if they did start in an Alpha spin-off limited). Same with Jade Dragon. Remember, this is for a story idea, and too many characters are hard to work with (hence why I'm killing off a slew of them)
    Sunfire never officially joined right? I wouldn't include him or Jade Dragon.
    I would include all official members(past and present)....and maybe all members of Beta and Gamma Flight teams? Still probably too many members, huh?

Dana

Well, the main problem is that I was going to set this up as a poll so peopl ecould vote over a period of time, but the polling system for this board won't handle that many options - there's jsut too many dang Alphans!

I'm not sure how to do the list. I'll probably just post the list of names and tell people to pick thier top 8 (the number in the original team). Or maybe it can be the top ten and then I'll let the top eight with the most votes end up the "final team" to increase the suspense. (lol)

That'll work.

I'm at 10:00am US central time right now, so by 5:00pm today my time it'll be up in a separate thread in FanFic.

Man, this thread hasn't seen anything new in a while, so I'm gonna add to it.

I ran across this as I was surfing the net (for a COMPLETELY different thing - this was just an added surprise). Thought it was interesting, and not sure if anyone else has seen it, so fig'd I'd share it with the class...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Man, this thread hasn't seen anything new in a while, so I'm gonna add to it.

I ran across this as I was surfing the net (for a COMPLETELY different thing - this was just an added surprise). Thought it was interesting, and not sure if anyone else has seen it, so fig'd I'd share it with the class...
    I think this was mentioned elsewhere when we were talking about an animated series.

If I wrote Alpha Flight I would try and tie up alot of the dangling storylines with a huge offing of some characters burying them for good. First up Wyre. =D>

Aw c'mon PWalk...Wyre has great potential for...uh...well.....sigh...who am I kidding? He's good for cannon fodder...LOL.

Dana
    ALPHA FLIGHT IS RESURRECTED, LONG LIVE ALPHA FLIGHT!

Wyre's fine as an uneasy ally. Only fault I thought he really had was being a writer's favorite who took development time over too many issues. The book was alreay crowded when Wyre turned up in the 110's and he actually hung around till the end.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Wyre was a great character, far better than any of the new 'Alphans' we've seen in the second or third books. I want to see him come back in V4 and become a full fledged member.

Quote Originally Posted by Legerd
    Wyre was a great character, far better than any of the new 'Alphans' we've seen in the second or third books. I want to see him come back in V4 and become a full fledged member.
    And die and horrible and painful death!

(I would be so pleased =D> )

I'm usually against killing for killing but in he's case, I would make an exception

Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    And die and horrible and painful death!

(I would be so pleased =D> )

I'm usually against killing for killing but in he's case, I would make an exception
    Oh, Sylvie that's so cold.

C'mon we all know Wyre was a pathetic attempt at "Cablizing" AF. Let's go and bring in this mysterious, tough as nails character who likes guns and dislikes shirts. His presence on a page made reading it all the more painful.

If I wrote AF vol. 4 the opening splash page would feature Nemesis slicing him up like Thanksgiving turkey. The finish would be him being smashed into the ground with a thunderous right cross courtesy of Sasquatch.
    Afterwards I would explain the whole scene by having the characters tell how Wyre was misused by Lobdell Corp. in attempt to find secrets of Department H or something.

It would be a glorious first issue and one that everyone here would approve of because honestly no one would miss him after 5 minutes.

I'm typically not for killing off characters of any type, because I figure a writer might be able to come along later and really breathe life into that character. Having said that, I'd miss Wyre for less than 5 minutes. I think his story has been told. Take Manbot with him and you really have my support. Maybe even throw in Murmur so folks don't think you're being sexist or anti-technology. I see a trend forming here. Alpha characters with that start with an "M" or and upside down one "W" a re ripe for the slaughter. Manbot, Murmur, Wyre, Manikin....wouldn't miss them long. Theory falls apart a bit when you look at Marrina, Witchfire, Windshear, and Wildchild. They seem to have a following to some degree. I'd still rather be named something with an "S". Sas, Shaman, and even Stitch get more press here than those "M" guys.

I would be all for thinning AF's ranks by a massive killing spree. I'd write it so that many of them would have a heroic death in the face of great adversity.
    Some examples:
    Windshear would go down firing in a blaze of "hard air" as he perishes fighting off a swarm of Plodex mutoids.

Persuasion bites the bullet when her power proves useless on a Plodex and her head is quickly torn off by the aliens weapon of choice.

Manbot self detonates it/himself to close a portal leading to the Plodex homeworld.

Goblyn is mistaken for a Plodex spawn by the RCMP and shot down by friendly fire while battling the Plodex in downtown Montreal.

Silver and Auric fall under the heels of a Plodex juggernaut making its way across the prairies of Manitoba. They put up a good fight but they are alone and simply cannot stop the rampaging alien alone.

I could go on and on eliminating most of the cast from the last 20 years in a similar fashion. The fact remains that the book would rock with literal non stop action for the first 2 or 3 issues. Many would fall but in the finale there would be forged a team that is truly battle hardened and indebted to each of it's fellow members.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Silver and Auric fall under the heels of a Plodex juggernaut making its way across the prairies of Manitoba. They put up a good fight but they are alone and simply cannot stop the rampaging alien alone.
    Wouldn't killing Silver (or is it Auric?) be a bit moot since s/he's already dead?!

As for the mass slaughter - tho I'm not adverse to the notion - why is everyone so eager to kill off Kara, Laura, Goblyn and Whit?! Mantlo may not have been the best at using characters effectively, but these characters - esp Kara Goblyn and Whit - have a LOT of potential under the right writer (not Furman, tho. what he did to Whit... I'd retcon that ASAP).
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine