Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: if you wrote alpha flight.

Actually, in my version, she'd be around to help out from time to time, and perhaps be a liaison with Beta Flight. In my opinion she's been in the 'hero' business for a while, and wants to find a semblanc (SP??) of a life. Although she wouldn't be out of loop in any-way-shape-or-form.

-Mystic
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

I'd drop a nuclear bomb on Canada and see where things go from there....

Personally, I can't even stand the concept of "Major Mapleleaf."
    That's just exceptionally lame.
    Why not just throw in a Sargeant Syrop?
    Guardian/Vindicator were great....non-powered people donning a piece of technology...Hold the cheesy Canadian references, please.

See for me that was the attraction of MML Jnr.

His father was retconned into a time where we had "Captain America" "Union Jack" etc... "Major Mapleleaf" isn't too much of a tangent.

The new version is a genuinely good guy who idolised his father and wants to honour his legacy.

The back story Lobdell created about his father beating him as a child makes him an even more interesting and induring character in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    See for me that was the attraction of MML Jnr.

His father was retconned into a time where we had "Captain America" "Union Jack" etc... "Major Mapleleaf" isn't too much of a tangent..
    Having a name and concept in common with those two doesn't exactly make it better for me.
    I always thought Captain America was just too much...and Union Jack, well, that's a lot like Captain Britain, isn't it?
    Characters that are fine in and of themselves, but the identity concepts are just too much.
    A Captain America makes sense in the age of propaganda (where he first emerges) and with the whole background of America's holy attachment to their flag...
    A super-powered mountie just doesn't do it. I don't think that is a transferable trait to Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by tkmadison
    What?!
    No one would enlist the Purple Girl?
    Her powers make it difficult to write her as a credible part of the team. Either she can solve the conflict single handedly by possessing the opponents, or there's always yet another forced reason why her powers don't work in each new instance.
    Mind control characters need natural limits (Karma could only possess 2 at a time, and could be thrown off if someone was particularly strong willed) or work best as villains.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Here's what I'd do for a reboot. Issue one would show a completely new team of Department H Operatives, call them the Provincial Guard or something. Their assignment, track down and decommision Alpha Flight. Heather begins tying together some kidnappings of some of their old teammates (Manikin, Pathway, Murmur, etc.) as she waits in the supermarket line with her daughter and a few dozen diapers. Of course the Provincial Guard captures her after she pulls out her coupons prompting Mac to call the team together to uncover the conspiracy. The team, consisting of Guardian (Mac), Sasquatch, Puck, Snowbird, Shaman, Aurora, Northstar, Flex, Major Mapleleaf Jr., and Talisman, declares war and takes down Department H once and for all. After that Alpha has free reign to do what they want. I'd have more mysticism involved in the series, as Shaman and Talisman could showcase their powers. I'd also reinstitute the Beta and Gamma Flight projects, and spin one of these off into another title when the time was right.

In a similar vein, then:

Department H decides that all of their secrets (Plodex, Legacy mutants, Wild Child, what they did to Puck and the Jeffries and more to make them follow orders,...) are going to come back to haunt them and the Board finally decides to stop worrying and deal with it, exterminate.

So they go out to kill any loose ends. Scientists, Legacies, and so on. Only Ghost Girl survives of the Legacies, most ex-AFers are killed (save Pathway, Windshear(overseas), Nemesis, Box(?), Wild Child (WX), Aurora(?), Northstar(X-Man), Zuzha, and Major Mapleleaf), Sasquatch and Byrne AF take as many of these guys as they can find and go on the offensive. Dept. H sends out the Epsilons and Synthoids as a last gasp. In a bloody battle the Major, Guardian, and Snowbird are killed.

Vindicator gives up the suit for good and becomes head of the Flight Department, Alpha Flight's NGO. Puck becomes the operations director and trainer. Shaman becomes physician.

Alpha Flight itself is lead by Sasquatch with Ghost Girl, Zuzha Yu, Nemesis, Pathway, and an Inuit mutant as Guardian.

Why not? MAybe Quesada will go for it. I'd prefer a clean up early on in AF this time.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Her powers make it difficult to write her as a credible part of the team. Either she can solve the conflict single handedly by possessing the opponents, or there's always yet another forced reason why her powers don't work in each new instance.
    The solution is easy:
    gay villains.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

and an Inuit mutant as Guardian.
    With the amount of heavy metals showing up in everyone's bloodstream up there, it's only a matter of time.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

The solution is easy:
    gay villains.
    Um...what?

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    The solution is easy:
    gay villains.
    Um...what?
    That's what we call a 'left-field' comment, based off of stupid - and apparent homophobic - ideologies, that homosexuals are either bad villians, evil, or a joke to be laughed at.

Congratulations, TK: you've managed to offend me three times in a 24 hour period. New record!
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

That's what we call a 'left-field' comment, based off of stupid - and apparent homophobic - ideologies, that homosexuals are either bad villians, evil, or a joke to be laughed at.
    Nope, none of the above. Let's just say that maybe gay villains wouldn't be affected by the Purple Girls powers. There's your other way around it.
    No need to jump to such negative conclusions...I am neither stupid, nor homophobic. As to suggesting that homosexuals are bad villains, I haven't got a clue as to where you picked that up.

Congratulations, TK: you've managed to offend me three times in a 24 hour period. New record!
    Sorry to hear that. No offense intended towards anyone. I don't feel that I have said anything derrogatory to anyone in these forums, but only expressed my opinion on a few topics (the McFarlane comment, I'm guessing, is where I might have offended you previously?) - as does everyone else, as far as I can ell.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

Nope, none of the above. Let's just say that maybe gay villains wouldn't be affected by the Purple Girls powers. There's your other way around it.
    Actually, they've disproved that with Purple Girl's first appearance - the third person she's shown to possess was Northstar.

No need to jump to such negative conclusions...I am neither stupid, nor homophobic. As to suggesting that homosexuals are bad villains, I haven't got a clue as to where you picked that up.
    I did jump to conclusions, I'll admit (when someone says something like that in a seemingly joking tone, I take offence. It's a serious subject for me.) As for not being a homophobe, that comment wasn't helpful in making me see otherwise. The 'bad villians' suggestion I got from everywhere in media - homosexuals are generally (with very few exceptions) regarded as the butt-joke of the world, subject to stereotyping and ridicule, and I don't abide that.

Sorry to hear that. No offense intended towards anyone. I don't feel that I have said anything derrogatory to anyone in these forums, but only expressed my opinion on a few topics (the McFarlane comment, I'm guessing, is where I might have offended you previously?) - as does everyone else, as far as I can ell.
    You're apology is accepted, and I offer two of my own: first for jumping to such conclusions about you - as I said, the derogation of homosexuality is a strong topic with me, one I tend to get a bit defensive about - and second, because I mistakenly attributed a comment said by someone else to you (I had read your name in one post, and associated a following post with you). For both, I am sorry.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Actually, they've disproved that with Purple Girl's first appearance - the third person she's shown to possess was Northstar.
    Ah, see - I didn't know that. I would have thought that that had happened before it was concretely determined that Northstar was, in fact, gay. I know that it had sort of been hinted at close to the start, but unless it becomes really obvious, I'm not going to jump to that conclusion. There are more and more old characters in the MU that are being reincarnated as gay. This is both good and bad, I think. Bad only because it doesn't gel with the continuity. I just read that Karma is gay...Going back to those old New Mutants comics, who the hell would have thought that?
    But I suppose that if they don't show her with a boyfriend either, then it's open season.

You're apology is accepted, and I offer two of my own: first for jumping to such conclusions about you - as I said, the derogation of homosexuality is a strong topic with me, one I tend to get a bit defensive about - and second, because I mistakenly attributed a comment said by someone else to you (I had read your name in one post, and associated a following post with you). For both, I am sorry.
    No problem - your apology is also accepted. I generally tend to post my comments light-heartedly and in good humour. I don't use smileys as much as I should to show that...probalby because I don't think they are really adequate to the task.
    Ah, the joys of electronic communication, eh?
    By the way, where in BC are you roughly? I lived in Vancouver for about ten years, myself, and spent a year in Victoria as well.
    Loved a lot of aspects of it, but the lack of sunlight in winter drove me nuts.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah