Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: if you wrote alpha flight.

Default if you wrote alpha flight.

what would you do?

old team? new team? dept. h? independent?

what would you do to assure that the series stuck this time?

heres what i would do:

1st off my team would be made up of the originals, just because i prefer them.

my team would be:

guardian
    sasquatch
    shaman
    puck
    northstar
    aurora
    snowbird

and............

wolverine!

why not? he's in about 30 books a month and this is his roots. i would start off with a storyline where the original team goes on a mission and is captured, heather being at home tending to her newborn is concerned about her husband and her former teammates and puts a call into wolverine. wolverine rescue's the team and upon learning that dept.h is trying to make alpha become goverment run again decides to help alpha get back on it's feet as he feels obligated to finally help the team and friend he walked out on so many years ago.

i would at least keep that going for 20 or so issues before i finally let wolverine go, thats if marvel wouldn't let me keep him

along the way i would form a new beta flight. make alpha a independent team, no longer relying on the goverment. i would bring wild chilld back having wolverine take him under his wing.

i would re-establish the master as their arch nemesis and try to make him on par with magneto and the likes....maybe even having the master kill off a member of alpha flight. i would bring back omega flight and the dream queen. tallisman as well......but as a villian who blames her father for everything that has happened to her.

i would introduce a new super hero team....no way a country as big as canada only has one! i would try to establish guardian as his country's capt america all the while showing how reluctant he is to take on that role (remember mac is a scientist at heart).

thoughts?

Well, if I was writing for AF, I think that I would make it a mix of new and old characters. I would keep Heather as the leader (probably without the suit). Here's my roster:

Heather
    Shaman
    Sasquatch
    Puck
    -New Character-
    -New Character-

I would still have AF run under Department H, possibly with Heather being promoted to being the Director (after Gentry's re-assignment). I would drop the government conspiracy, but possibly make a small cell within the department (with Dr. Haddock) wanting to return to the 'Good Ol' Days' (this way it would lead to a future story-line where the evil Dept.H would be gotten rid of permanently). I wouldn't make it a constant battle for funding, but they would become something akin to the Avengers (which they should be anyway). I would re-instate Beta and Gamma Flight.

There're are other things that I would do, but that would take at least ten issues just to do what I had planned.

Cheers,
    -Mystic

P.S. - These plans are very similar to future stories for my AF RPG.
    Where are we going, and why are we in this hand-basket??

Varo....you read my mind....How dare you?!!! LOL.

I'd pretty much do most of what you have suggested, but I wouldn't use Wolvie or Beta(except when the team recruits new heroes).

My Alpha(expanded to ten, some will be reserve)....

Guardian(Maybe Mac initially, but I may have him leave to be the team scientist and raise his daughter, while Heather would take his place.)
    Aurora(reserve, getting psychological treatment for her disorder....finally)
    Northstar(reserve, supporting Jeanne Marie in her time of need)
    Puck
    Sasquatch
    Snowbird(reserve, patrolling the tundra for the growing danger of the Great Beasts)
    Talisman
    Windshear(asked to come out of retirement and help the team out)

I would definately get rid of the Dept. H ties. Omega Flight would return, although I'm not sure about the Master....I WOULD clear up things with Marrina. I'd bring in Walter's son and more of a supporting cast(Heather's family, Other aquaintences and former associates). Reveal where former Alphans have disappeared to. There would be some definite twists and turns in the storylines. There should also be other Canadian heroes....I totally agree there. Clear up lot's of old plot threads and stuff and get them out of the way, but make them really good stories.

My villains:

The Wendigo
    The Great Beasts
    Omega Flight (Version 3 with Murmur, Caliber and some other old "friends")
    Graviton(why has this not happened yet....he's a Canadian villain, for Pete's sake!)
    Deadpool(another Canuck villain/anti-hero)

plus a several of my own creation...

Dana

Here's the link:

Alpha Flight RPG

It's also in my signature....and the little 'www' button at the bottom of my posts. I just can't advertise enough for it.

-Mystic

Default Re: if you wrote alpha flight.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    what would you do?

old team? new team? dept. h? independent?

what would you do to assure that the series stuck this time?
    I'd keep the current team but in time replace Yukon Jack with Box and once Centennial dies put in, oh, Ghost Girl.

Hudsons are CEO and COO of Department H. Puck is a trainer with Dept. H, trains agents not heroes except Beta Flight. Shaman is a doctor again. Rest are wherever.

Alpha Flight is aligned with Dept. H but not under their authority.

AF is allied with Big Hero Six, the Super Soldiers, and maybe an Anzac or South American team if one exists by then.

Dept. H is allied with Black Air, SHIELD less so.

Dept. H trains Beta Flight for AF, a deal. A new kid, Flex, Flinch, Ghost Girl, Pathway, Goblyn are in it. The last three will leave soon, as you know with GG. Beta Flight will not grow fast at all, never more than 8 in it.

Most of the rest of old AF become Omega Flight. Talisman, not Persuasion, leads. Manikin, Pathway, Goblyn, Diamond Lil, maybe more. No need to bring back Aurora, Northstar, Snowbird, or Marrina.

Big enemies are Dreamqueen, Omega Flight, and Brain Drain, who reforms his old Master allies (plus some) and takes over the Master's vision (possible organization name: ?). Lots of other enemies, even SHIELD.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Question Mac's identity--after so many times of dying/returning, who can be sure any more?
    The ? of Mac's ID raises serious & profound questions in Heather, particularly as they relate to their daughter.
    By extension, other identities associated with the team also are raised, including Snowbird, Aurora, Puck and others. This drives a schism (sp) in the team, and two Alphas seem to form as the divide grows, one led by Mac, 1 by Heather.
    In trying to determine true identities and current whereabouts, former members are either revisited, firmly established as dead or retired, or die in the process.
    Because the whole long term arc is an ongoing question of "who is THIS Mac?" Heather turns to Wolverine from the beginning and he is a fixture in the storylines. It is determined that, at least initially, only Northstar, Shaman and Talisman can be verified as who they are and supposed to be, the core of the "true team" is with those 5 (This isn't arbitrary choices for older characters, but I can't get that far in just now, and they could be joined by the likes of Mapleleaf Junior & Centennial.)
    Would take more than 1 year's worth of books to do right. Obviously it gets broken into arcs for marketability for new readers and trades. First arc involves SHIELD raising the question to Heather, but it's done covertly, so other Alphas end up fighting SHIELD, who calls on aide from the Avengers. Thus the first arc sees character-centric story with Wolverine & Northstar "from the X-Men," conflict with SHIELD, a major fight between AF & Avengers and sets up a larger ongoing story with specific and finite purpose and goal.
    Story-wise, there's action & characterization for new readers, roles or appearances by characters through the titles history to appease and hold onto long-time readers, attention to pacing to keep non-padded trades churning and a larger storyline to keep new readers hooked.
    Marvel-wise, it cleans up what can be a very messy 160 issues of continuity, defines Alpha as an A-team, and leaves the team approachable to future new readers and returning old time readers (Picture those picking up V3 #8 as his first comic in ten years or trying a sample after watching "Repo-Man" on DVD and saying "WTF?! Where's AF?!"
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

My AF would start with the veterans, but mix in some new characters as the series goes. The team would be affiliated with Department H, and be led by Mac as Guardian. Heather would act as liaison officer and raise their daughter, but there would be a story where she dons her old suit to save the day. Shaman would retire from active duty giving his medicine bag to Earthmover (who would promptly change his name to Shaman!!!) and act as doctor, trainer and mystic advisor for the team. Puck would still be active, but would eventually retire to train new recruits after nearly getting killed (or perhaps does get killed but acts as a spirit guide for Shaman). Snowbird will grow ever more distant until she finally decides to join the other gods in their dimension. The twins aren't used since they are in other books(same goes for Madison), so some new French-Canadian heroes would join up. And of course Wyre!
    Sasquatch's AF would still be around, but they would be independent of Gov't ties. This would mean no characters are lost, and there would be some great crossovers.
    The Master would return and immediatly make life rough for AF. The Dream Queen would also make an appearance. This would provide an chance to tie up loose ends involving Marrina, Pathway and Goblyn. There would be new villains plus a few from elsewhere in the MU and of course one more round with The Great Beasts.
    There would be various crossovers with other heroes/groups such as SHIELD, X-men, Avengers and FF to name a few. I would definitely have more interaction with the rest of the MU for sure.

First things first I would kill Wyre. I'd create a villian called "The Barber" who would clip all of his nasty back off rendering him powerless. Then the Barber would impale Wyre on a giant pair of scissors. It would be a glorious death as Wyre will have saved the entire "North American Hair Stylists Convention" from disaster as "The Barber" is blown to smithereens by a grenade Wyre left on his power belt.

Second thing I'd do is have Shaman decide that Indians don't wear green and orange Spandex leotards to fight crime or conjure up an incantation. Michael would instead begin to wear the outfit of his tribe's ancestors.

THird and last thing I would write would be a two part Puck solo mission spotlighting his work before he joined the flight.

Default Re: if you wrote alpha flight.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    heres what i would do:

my team would be:

guardian
    sasquatch
    shaman
    puck
    northstar
    aurora
    snowbird

and............

wolverine!

why not? he's in about 30 books a month and this is his roots. i would start off with a storyline where the original team goes on a mission and is captured, heather being at home tending to her newborn is concerned about her husband and her former teammates and puts a call into wolverine. wolverine rescue's the team and upon learning that dept.h is trying to make alpha become goverment run again decides to help alpha get back on it's feet as he feels obligated to finally help the team and friend he walked out on so many years ago.

i would at least keep that going for 20 or so issues before i finally let wolverine go, thats if marvel wouldn't let me keep him

along the way i would form a new beta flight. make alpha a independent team, no longer relying on the goverment. i would bring wild chilld back having wolverine take him under his wing.

i would re-establish the master as their arch nemesis and try to make him on par with magneto and the likes....maybe even having the master kill off a member of alpha flight. i would bring back omega flight and the dream queen. tallisman as well......but as a villian who blames her father for everything that has happened to her.

i would introduce a new super hero team....no way a country as big as canada only has one! i would try to establish guardian as his country's capt america all the while showing how reluctant he is to take on that role (remember mac is a scientist at heart).

thoughts?
    I think I would very much enjoy your version. I've often thought that having Wolverine as at least a "rover" character that appears from time to time would be beneficial.

I love the idea of the Master being more big-time. He's sadly become kind of a joke along the way.

Would your Beta be filled with new characters only, or old ones that we haven't seen in a while? Adn what plans would you have for another superhero team? Competition?

Your subplot with Mac would probably be what I'd look forward to most, but you'd be on must-read list for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic
    Well, if I was writing for AF, I think that I would make it a mix of new and old characters. I would keep Heather as the leader (probably without the suit). Here's my roster:

Heather
    Shaman
    Sasquatch
    Puck
    -New Character-
    -New Character-

I would still have AF run under Department H, possibly with Heather being promoted to being the Director (after Gentry's re-assignment). I would drop the government conspiracy, but possibly make a small cell within the department (with Dr. Haddock) wanting to return to the 'Good Ol' Days' (this way it would lead to a future story-line where the evil Dept.H would be gotten rid of permanently). I wouldn't make it a constant battle for funding, but they would become something akin to the Avengers (which they should be anyway). I would re-instate Beta and Gamma Flight.

There're are other things that I would do, but that would take at least ten issues just to do what I had planned.

-Mystic
    Wold Heather be "on the field" as well as the big boss in the office? Either I like your idea of her in that role.

did you have a vision for your new characters?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Wold Heather be "on the field" as well as the big boss in the office? Either I like your idea of her in that role.

did you have a vision for your new characters?
    Actually, believe it or not, I believe that Heather would still insist on going out in the field with Alpha (or at the very least Beta and Gamma). She's been the leader of AF for a long time, and I can see that being behind a desk after all that would be a difficult adjustment for her.

As far as the new characters, I do have a general idea as to what kind of characters I would like to see:

1. Vindicator or Guardian III (I'm still toying with this one) - Since Mac and Heather are no longer donning the suit, this person would step up to be the patriot and wear the flag of her country. Although this one wouldn't derive her powers from her suit. She would have powers very similar to the ones that the suit allows. Her background would be splotchy, with it being revealed over time. (I'd go into this more, but anything else would ruin the surprise for those of this board who play in the game )

2. Ion (a character I helped design with another person) - Purple skin, blue hair, and the ability to produce an energy that, when used at high power, can cause horrible effects to the eco-system. Ion was found in a small lifepod very much like a certain kryptonian. Although what no one knows is that Ion is from a species of interdimensional war mongers known as the Krion. Ion isn't aware of his past, or the fact that there're Krion warriors looking for him. (this is something that will lead to future stories).

Hope that sounds kinda exciting...

Cheers,
    -Mystic

If I wrote Alpha Flight I would keep the current V3 team (I like them) but have them tackle the Weapon X team (to try and find Aurora, Wildchild and Box) and then take on the Director and his current "Robot team".

I would also have Alpha Flight meet Deadpool, it could be funny, maybe have him became a "reserve" flight member (wait, that may be taking it too far).
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

Here's what my approach would be, and it sounds as if we each have some similar ideas in mind:

• Mac and Heather: Right off the bat, they are sidellined, possibly to make a return appearanch should a plot or story line dictate. They feel they've been through enough and want to jsut raise their child, but stay on with the new Alpha Flight as liasons or contacts. Last thing Mac wants to do is die again, right?
    • Guaridian: Really, this uniform is equivalent to Captain America's and can be worn by just about anyone. I'd probably give the role to another scientist type for a while. Perhaps Walter loses his ability to become Sasquatch and dons the suit. Maybe Maddison Jeffries comes back to wear the mantle instead of being Box. Perhaps we discover that Major Mapleleaf's horse is robotic and he give it up to wear the suit, still using his father's title. Maybe the suit and maniker are retired until a suitable replacement can fill the shoes. It's got to be around, but I'd like to have the symbol of Canada's greatest protector be a solid individual like Mac was and do away with the various iterations like Vindicator. I like the idea of a normal citizen stepping up to be a hero, possibly reluctantly at that. Very patriotic too.
    • Wolverine is going to be tied with the Avengers, and has too much X-backstory, so I'd leave him out.
    • Sasquatch, Shaman and Snowbird are intrinsically tied to a magickal ideal which Alpha Flight was originally written around. Like Doctor Strange, this is a tough sort of title to maintain, but with the variations on Native American spiritualism and so forth, this could be tapped into again and be the core of the book. Too much corporate conspiracy made the book dull for a while, but when the Dream Queen appeared on the scene, things got interesting again. Setting this three up as arcane manifestations with Shaman on par with Doctor Strange would be the way I'd take things. These three would be the basis of the core team.
    • Yukon Jack and Centenial: I don't liek Jack and while I like Centenial, it's difficult to want to keep him around. He's been in a coma for years, after all, and might want to use his new found powers to expplore the world a little. Jack is just a little goofy, and with no explanation of his people or culture I'd want to drastically change him, omit him as if he never existed or something equally as wierd. He'd be a better character with some basis in reality. Perhaps if he becomes tied to Inuit mythos too, like Shaman, Snowbird and Sasquatch, then he'd fit in better. It seems like he's meant to be a "Wolverine/WildChild" sort of character with the super ability to "talk funny" too. He's clearly not been thought out too well, so a revamp is truly necessary. In Inuit mythos, each group of animals (water, land and air) are governed by a diety referred to as their "Master". Fitting.
    • The Plodex technology has overshadowed the Master over the years and he needs to be brough up to speed. He's been alive for thousands of years and could easily be the biggest bad guy around, far and above beyond what even Doctor Doom is capable of. It'd also be nnice to see him in more of a grey area though, I think. Perhaps he shows up again and takes the Plodex technology off Earth, tying up that bit in the process. He goes off into space to come back time and again to hassle AF for various reasons and "monitor" or experiment with his homeworld. Make him more god-like and yet keep him a human being albeit with the resources of the entirety of the remaining Plodex technology in the universe.
    • Villains:Apart from the Master, why not Doctor Doom, Dormamu, and other baddies normally reserved for the FF or Avengers.
    • The team: My AF would be more of a national charter. The Hudsons and the Canadian government would want as little involvement outside Canada's borders as possible and this could lead AF to more off-world stories. In any case, the team would be more of a loose group of all past memebers which woul dbe picked to suit whatever mission is at hand. The person making these assignments? Egene Judd, of course - the leader of the team!

What?!
    No one would enlist the Purple Girl?