Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: if you wrote alpha flight.

[quote]
    Quote Originally Posted by syvalois
    I'd rather see a story where someone is murdering the kids from Hull House which brings the place to the attention of AF. Along the way they learn the secrets of the orphanage and its connection to Dept. H, before a climatic confrontation with the villain. Characters like Murmur, Ghost Girl and Flex could be gotten rid of (rather than leave them in limbo) and some of the loose threads from V2 could be tied up.

Ok, I see why you like Wyre and I don't. You like carnage, big guns and violence? I don't, well, not like that. I don't like free violence, it got to serve a purpose. Except for Wyre death, it would only be for fun:P
    And I just wanted to add, Burn@ (my boyfriend who sometimes like say stuff here) likes those characters Cable, Bishop, Spawn, he likes comics as a get away, he likes to see a comics, the text is not that important for him. He really liked Batman vs predator. He thinks, what I like is too f... up for him, too cerebral :P What can I say, two men fighting for a stupid reason, even if the drawing is good don't interest me for long. Must be my lack of testosterone... ok, I'm saying a stereotype again. D'oh!

Ok, I see why you like Wyre and I don't. You like carnage, big guns and violence? I don't, well, not like that. I don't like free violence, it got to serve a purpose.
    I don't like carnage or violence "for the sake of..." either. If the story calls for death and dismemberment, fine; if it's thrown in to make the story 'kewl' then I'm not impressed. What I liked about Wyre was he was trying to redeem himself, to make up for past sins. I liked the fact he was confident and skilled when everyone else in AF continuously wondered if they were good enough to be heroes.

Wyre represent free violence. I just hate that. I did not like Wildchild at that time too...
    To me Wyre's inclusion in AF was to create a backstory for Wild Child that had depth greater than simply: "he was another feral mutant with a mysterious past". Since Wild Child was created to be a viscious killer his creator would most likely also be one. Makes sense, no? Free violence is a part of Marvel comics (if not real life) so characters like these two are going to appear.

So basically, Wyre was taking AF in a direction I did not like, so that's why I think I hate him that bad.
    Fair enough.

I'd rather see a story where someone is murdering the kids from Hull House which brings the place to the attention of AF. Along the way they learn the secrets of the orphanage and its connection to Dept. H, before a climatic confrontation with the villain. Characters like Murmur, Ghost Girl and Flex could be gotten rid of (rather than leave them in limbo) and some of the loose threads from V2 could be tied up.
    I can see why you thought I was into mass murder and random violence Sylvie, it wasn't my intention with that idea however. I thought it would be cool if someone was murdering the Hull House kids, because it would lead to the mystery of the orphanage being investigated. As we get deeper into why someone wants so badly to get rid of the kids, we learn what connection Dept. H had with HH, for how long and who was ultimately behind it all. Not a story with a lot of muscle flexing, rather a more cerebral murder mystery (which I love). Of course to have a murder mystery you have to have a murder or two, and in the end the prerequisite fight to entertain the 'knuckledraggers'.

To stop this from going any farther off topic I'll end my ramblings now.

I don't like carnage or violence "for the sake of..." either. If the story calls for death and dismemberment, fine; if it's thrown in to make the story 'kewl' then I'm not impressed. What I liked about Wyre was he was trying to redeem himself, to make up for past sins. I liked the fact he was confident and skilled when everyone else in AF continuously wondered if they were good enough to be heroes.
    I agree that in that time, pretty much all AF where winning about something. I was not really connecting with any characters and actually I did not much liked the stories most of all those related to Wildchild or that wildheart periode. i did not cared at all about what willchild had became, So I was even less please with Wyre.

To me Wyre's inclusion in AF was to create a backstory for Wild Child that had depth greater than simply: "he was another feral mutant with a mysterious past". Since Wild Child was created to be a viscious killer his creator would most likely also be one. Makes sense, no? Free violence is a part of Marvel comics (if not real life) so characters like these two are going to appear.
    the very articulated Wildchild who had a killer insticnt and liked it, seems interesting. A new twist on the basic feral character, but like I said earlier, at the point I really, really, really did not cared about him (sorry to all wildchild fans out there). But it's also true, I like characters more like Claremont's Colossus, Claremont's Magic, Peter David's Quicksilver, Byrne's Heather, Nocenti's Daredevil.

As for free violence, yes it's there, it's part of it. I liked some of the most violent stuff in comic books like V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Kill your boy friend, very dark stuff in the Vertigo line, but I think it's just a matter of taste and what was done in the end of AF serie and most of all , all the wildchild development including Wyre, bored me to death.

I can see why you thought I was into mass murder and random violence Sylvie, it wasn't my intention with that idea however. I thought it would be cool if someone was murdering the Hull House kids, because it would lead to the mystery of the orphanage being investigated. As we get deeper into why someone wants so badly to get rid of the kids, we learn what connection Dept. H had with HH, for how long and who was ultimately behind it all. Not a story with a lot of muscle flexing, rather a more cerebral murder mystery (which I love). Of course to have a murder mystery you have to have a murder or two, and in the end the prerequisite fight to entertain the 'knuckledraggers'.
    Funny because it's the same goal I had with Murmur suicide. No need for mass murder. Her depth would lead the team to hull House and force the truth to come out because AF and Flex and lily would like to understand why she did that. Maybe find her diary (how convinient!) But the rest of the story can goes as you planned.[/quote]

Default Alpha Flight Age of Apocalypse

For years I have been toying with what Canada (and specifically the Alphans) might have been doing during the Age of Apocalypse. Some characters were already tied into the AoA storyline, so those characters would be omitted. Essentially, the remaining Alphans would be freedom fighters of sorts.
    The major villians would be minions under Apcoalypse (kinda like MikHail Rasputin). The baddies would be:
    The Master (trying to gain control of Canada from Apocalypse)
    Master's minions would include: Omega flight and Flashback
    Purple Death (Purple Man)
    Purple Death's minions would include: Wicked Ernest (Deadly Ernest), Witchfire and Scramble.
    Here's some characters and how I might handle them:
    The Tribe (a group within the group)- Shaman, Talisman and Totem (Totem is Shaman's wife, Michael had her spirit saved into a totem allowing Katherine the ability to change animal forms).
    Heather and James Hudson - both non-powered freedom fighters. Both are alot colder. They wear military style outfits.
    Puck- Similar custome to original, but he's a lot more scarred and worn.
    Diamond Lil- missing a breast due to breast cancer, besides that her costume is very similar.
    Sasquatch - keeps his "sasquatch" form secret.
    Warbird- a much darker Snowbird.

The major storyline would include the freedom fighters trying to save Laura Dean from the Master.

Other characters I would consider using are: Manikin, Persuasion (possible working under her Dad), Goblyn (since Laura's a major part of the story), Smart Alec, Nemesis (still with a mad-on for Ernest).

Whatcha think?

Hi Jemini, welcome to the forum.

For the most part, I think it looks good, except a few things that need tweaking.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Sounds really cool jemini169! you should write that as a fanfic. I'd be glad to put it online for you

Welcome to Alpha Waves, the midgets in the cupboard don't have have evil spirits trapped inside them, they're just little.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Does vodka count as an evil spirit?
    Yes Phil, it does, vodka is the most evil of spirits, but lucky for us the little guys in the cupboard prefer Royal Reserve rye whiskey.

Oh, and Ben, calling them 'midgets' is a serious politically correct no-no. They prefer to be called 'little people', or 'dwarves', or name themselves after Shakespearean characters...

Hey jemini169, that's a cool idea! I always wondered what the 'human' members of AF were up to in AoA too. Do you think AoA Shaman would have risked freeing the Great Beasts to try to stop Apocolypse?

Default Great Beasts to stop Apocalypse

Great idea Legerd. That would be an interesting pre-story. My thinking would be that it was unsuccessful and that some Great Beasts remain and possibly work with Apocalypse (or just hang around and create havoc).

That decision would definitely impact the other Alphans view of Shaman, but in the AoA world, Shaman would not lose a great deal of sleep due to "the views others have of him."

I could always see Mac and Heather trying to build the Guardian battlesuit during AOA, but without its flight capabilities. Kinda of like a lower version of the 616 one.

It would be slightly bulkier and Mac/Heather would be leading a squad of Canadians (each one with similar suits - and the suits are constantly in need of repair, as no-one has the budget to fully build them) against Apocalypse armies!
    So Says Scarlettspiderg! And yes that is my letter (GP) in ANAD AF 12.

The Old Fan Alpha Flight

Default if I wrote Alpha Flight

A lot of people want to kill off a lot of characters. [If WHITMAN KNAPP is on the top of the hit-list, I can get with the program]

How many Alpha/Beta/Gamma/whatever members are there now, anyway?

Who can do a story with Whitman Knapp, Kara Kilgrave, and the Dean twins [or WYRE, for that matter] that will re-launch ALPHA FLIGHT and keep it going longer than twelve issues? Anyone?

Another little interesting tidbit: according to map thats on the X-Facts page (that talks about the intentions of AOA) on the first issue of most of the runs, most of Western Canada is listed as 'Badlands - scattered human hideouts', and everything North of the Wall of Apocalypse - which runs pretty much from Vancouver to the Western most point of Hudson's Bay- is completely cut off from the workd, including Nunavut and the Eye of the World.

Would be interesting if these people, instead of living in the Badlands (which is the Northern-most area still under Pockie's boot), they lived in the 'no-man's land' north of the Wall...

I think the no-man's land would be good for an AF story-series. If I remember it was badlands as in nuclear wasteland.

Seems, as always, there's a ton of good AF stories to be plumbed from 616, AoA, Ultimate,.....
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.