Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What ever happened to Gentry

Default What ever happened to Gentry

He wasnt in issue 8 and this new dude is alot harder to deal with then the polite Gentry

Hiya mos_def, welcome to Alpha Waves! There's some lovely LEATHER [drools] furniture in the cupboard you may use.

The fellow in in #8 was named Agent Skimmer. The play on names was in reff to X-Files, and how X-Files ish vol.2 was. I saw this as Scott saying to the readers that neither he, nor Sasquatch would let this happen with the All New, All Different Alpha Flight. Using Gentry for this wouldn't have made the point Scott was looking for. He may well still be at Dept. H, but this Skimmer fellow would seem to be the person Walt "borrowed" Nemesis from.

Ben

Thanx for the insight Ben. Its Ken from the AF messageboard. The one that writes Alpha Flight over at altmarvel. To me though it looked as if vol3 forgot about Gentry. Hopefully he will come up later

Quote Originally Posted by mos_def
    Thanx for the insight Ben. Its Ken from the AF messageboard. The one that writes Alpha Flight over at altmarvel. To me though it looked as if vol3 forgot about Gentry. Hopefully he will come up later
    Hiya Ken! Nice to see you over here! I would also like to see Gentry again, but I don't think we'll be seeing much of Department H for a while.

Ben

Well with Steve saying Gentry was originally suposed to be Mac, Flex was suposed to be the son of Wolvie and Murmur was to be a relative of the Purple Man, it's very unlikely another writer would not only know what the previous one was thinking, but be able to dance around these facts. Not to say Scott won't give these characters a cameo, but it's easier to just forget them.

D.

Having Mac and Gentry would've been hard, as then the Mac Sasquatch found in the North would've made even less sense. A failed clone? "Hey, this synthoid is broken, lets shoot him off into the frozen North." Makes even less sense. I like the lack of plot holes good stories provide but in comics stupidity can replace that.

Scott may ignore these cahracters but ignoring convoluted Hudson has already been dumb (and Scott does make the point about why the Hudsons are even heroes with a baby at home, pretty dumb choice Hudsons).
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokole
    Having Mac and Gentry would've been hard, as then the Mac Sasquatch found in the North would've made even less sense. A failed clone? "Hey, this synthoid is broken, lets shoot him off into the frozen North." Makes even less sense. I like the lack of plot holes good stories provide but in comics stupidity can replace that.
    I might be misunderstanding something but my take is that the whole deal with Mac ending up in the North Pole was a replacement for the story of him being Gentry. Maybe they didn't have time to do the Gentry story knowing that there were only so many issues left, so they threw this thing out instead.

I think the frozen waste thing had been in the pipeline for a while, but originally the person found by Sas was going to be Gambit, I think??
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

The Mac as Gentry storyline would have been great! It's too bad the series couldn't have gone further past the "Shadow Government" plots, It would have been nice to see the original team back in action...as it was, we only got to see them at the very end of the cancelled series. Very sad.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by DelBubs
    I think the frozen waste thing had been in the pipeline for a while, but originally the person found by Sas was going to be Gambit, I think??
    Gambit??

How the hell would he have ended up there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    Gambit??

Uncanny X-Men 350: 'The Trial of Gambit', Gambit was on trial by Erik the Red (who was really Magneto) in Magneto's Antarctic base for his play in the Morlock Massacre. During that trial, Erik forced Rogue to absorb more of his memories, and to confront some of his victims (such as Archangel, who lost his original feathered wings during the incident). Overwrought by Gambit's guilt, Rogue left Remy in Antarctica.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Oh, well that makes complete sense...

Oh, well that makes complete sense...
    Of course it does. Why else would Gambit be in Antarctica?

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    Gambit??

Uncanny X-Men 350: 'The Trial of Gambit', Gambit was on trial by Erik the Red (who was really Magneto) in Magneto's Antarctic base for his play in the Morlock Massacre. During that trial, Erik forced Rogue to absorb more of his memories, and to confront some of his victims (such as Archangel, who lost his original feathered wings during the incident). Overwrought by Gambit's guilt, Rogue left Remy in Antarctica.
    But that's ANTARCTICA, not the north pole.
    Wrong hemisphere.
    Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
    — Hassan-i-Sabbah

Quote Originally Posted by tkmadison
    But that's ANTARCTICA, not the north pole.
    Wrong hemisphere.
    Um, TK... you need to not only reread the thread, but the issue. The outpost that Walt found Mac at was in ANTARTICA. Hence the RIGHT hemisphere.

EDIT: Taking my own advice, I reread the thread, then looked at the issue in question. I quote...

(Alpha Flight vol.2 #13, page 12)
    "You'd have to GO a ways to find mysteries deeper than those that have wrapped themselves around Department H. In fact, you'd have to go all the way to the end of the world... to Project Michelangelo in the remotest ANARCTICA, and back in time a few weeks ago..." (Capitolised accents curtesy the issue.)

While the THREAD said that Walter found Mac in the ARCTIC ('North Pole'), he was actually found in the ANTARCTIC ('South Pole'), thus making the Gambit angle plausible, if not a moot point since the issue in question was produced six years ago...