Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: #11 Solicit (+ Other appearances)

I miss covers like this in general, with all the pin-up covers nowadays.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

When I first saw this I was reminded of the Uncanny X-Men cover in which a government controlled AF go after Wolvie yet again. I can't remeber the number, but it might be around #355 ish, set during AF vol 2.

Then again, maybe not
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    I'm trying to remember the homage, but can't quite place it at the moment...
    The closest homage I can remember is from AF's appearance on the cover of Uncanny X-Men 355 (which showed AFv.2.8 from the teams' perspectives). Other than that, no clue.

EDIT:

Del, I hate it when you do that...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Maybe a syandard team vs team desogn rather than a homage? I think of the Avengers West issue with Mantis in the middle (tearing the logo?)
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

i honestly do not remember that cover.

Unfortunately, I remember both the cover and the story arc
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

I agree, pinups are terrible. It's like seeing a commercial for Law & Order with pics of gang bangers then seeing the show and having it about a department story robbery gone wrong. Pinup covers really turned me off X-Men books, I'd see the cover and think, "I should read it if I think I should buy it." Which of course bookstore owners hate

I'd put 5 out of 8 covers so far for AF having any purpose. #8 didn't, Sasquatch in the snow, #7 didn't, windy Sasquatch, #5 didn't, flying Thunder etc. The rest all were somehow relevant to the story, especially after you read it.

Odd too how the cover shots have gone; counting to #11 Sasquatch will be on every cover, 3 solo, nobody else solo (well, duh), Byrne AF makes 2 appearances. Then it's Zuzha 8, Yukon Jack 7, and the other 3 appear 6 times. I'm counting the back shots on #9 too here. Thunder makes 2 appeances I think. Guess that makes Sasquatch and Zuzha the most highly paid, eh
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Found it (with the help of a certain VIP):

I don't think the cover is much of an homage to anything. After all, unless the two sides are fighting it's always one on one each side.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Found it (with the help of a certain VIP):

You got a good eye Phil.
    Del

I don't think its a homage at all (there's no "after" credit) but a style of cover. Here's two more:

and
    [/img]
    www.kozzi.us

Well, considering the other two covers so far for this arc have been an Homage to old X-Men covers, and not to mention that the VIP Phil refers to is Scott Lobdell, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's right on this one

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Well, considering the other two covers so far for this arc have been an Homage to old X-Men covers, and not to mention that the VIP Phil refers to is Scott Lobdell, I think it's a pretty safe bet that he's right on this one

Ben
    Well, if that's the sourse, then yeah, there is a really good chance that Phil's right....
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

The AWC cover seems derived from XMqoo cover too.
    This leaves the big question, will the cover represent what's in the book, or be another homage to the X-Men even though this book is Alpha Flight?
    www.kozzi.us

I'm probably being nit-picky, but these are examples of homages rather than style:

of

and

of
    www.kozzi.us