Thread: Alphanex Linking

Default Alphanex Linking

Well, I've already picked Allan's brain on this, but wanna get a general consensus before I continue. I thought of doing this the other day, but just remembered.

I have devised a clever way to set it up so that any time you type a character's name in a post, it will automatically make a link to the Alphanex entry for that character on AF.net. I would guess it could be seen as either really cool, or really annoying by you folks. I wanna know if it's worth implementing. I have as a test set up Sasquatch as my test word. Every time I type Sasquatch it makes this funky link to his entry. The problem is as follows. What if you are talking about the Sasquatch from Exiles? Well, it will link to Sasquatch of Alpha Flight. Or more confusingly what if you are talking about Zuzha, and you refer to her as Puck? Well, that will end up linking to Judd's bio, not hers. But if you type Puck II, it will link to her bio....does that make sense?

In light of that confusion, wadda ya think folks?

Ben

It sounds like a good idea to me Ben, all that linking can't hurt your Google standings on the AF member-names either

It seems like it'd be worth trying out at least. It's a nice way to get some exposure to the content you've worked on as well.

-adam

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    No love for the W man
    Well, considering at this point I'm working on the Alphanex entries chronologically, Wire is a good way off. If you wanna do the write up Phil, I'll gladly let you Then I'll link him up here, or even better....show you how to

Adam, yes,that's very much how I see it. the process of setting it up to auto link the names isn't hard at all, just will take a little time. No huge deal though.

Ben

Heh, was just joshing with ya Ben mucka... I know Wyre aint exactly one of the most searched for Alphans

Sounds like a neat idea, Ben.

Just wondering, are you able to code it so that only the first "Sasquatch" in every post gets picked up? Similar to how a newspaper article puts a name in Bold the first time it appears but regular text afterwards.

That may cut down on the annoying factor.

-Mike

Unfortunately nothing like that was in the range of what I could do with it Mike. I had to trash the idea, and the work put in, as it was just causeing too many complications

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben
    Unfortunately nothing like that was in the range of what I could do with it Mike. I had to trash the idea, and the work put in, as it was just causeing too many complications

Ben
    Too bad, Ben, it was a really good idea. if only there was a way you could tell it to only incorporate it into the message bodies, or put in exclusions (ie: subject headers, etc)... Surely there's a code for that somewhere...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine