Thread: A Puck topic....

Default A Puck topic....

Hypothetical question....If Marvel WAS going to "repair" Puck's origin and return him to being born a dwarf....how do you think it should be done? Could it be retconned to ignore the Razer possession...and would you as readers, accept that?

Or should the writer who tackles it(if that becomes a possibility)rework the Razer story to include it in Judd's life(but not making him a dwarf)?

My answer...Would be to ignore the possession as being the cause of Judd's dwarfism and he merely became a vessel to contain the demon sorcerer....which extended his life and kept him vital.

Any thoughts?

Dana

The Razor (sp) thing came up circa #32? Nothing came of it again until #50. Judd was big and left the team. He came back, was big, then was consolidated down by Master's scramble serum into a dwarf with enhanced strength.
    I'd consider it retconned by Nicienza and ignore it. The presence of his cauliflower ears would indicate BYrne always intended him to be a born dwarf.
    If you really wanted to keep Razor in the story, you could say he was born a dwarf, wished upon some sinister magic to be tall, thus became the overly-tall man. Razor could have been drawn to him by that enchantment. Razor's enchantment was removed, he reverted to how Razor found him. The Master's serum was strictly scientific and read in his chromosomes that he was a dwarf, thus overpowered the tall-spell and would only bond to his true short form without turning him monstrous.
    I think Puck's mentioned in passing that he was "familiar" with magic (or something to that effect) so that wouldn't contradict anything already established (as the very creation of Razor did.)
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Default Re: A Puck topic....

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Hypothetical question....If Marvel WAS going to "repair" Puck's origin and return him to being born a dwarf....how do you think it should be done? Could it be retconned to ignore the Razer possession...and would you as readers, accept that?
    I'm pretty sure since Razer was a demon (or whatever he was) they could just play that angle and state that since Puck was more or less possessed, the demon toyed with his memories of what he was before.

Not that memory manipulation stuff hasn't been done to death, but I'm sure if written the right way they could just take the demon-thing a step further and state that Razer was seriously messing with him.

adam

Default Re: A Puck topic....

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    Actually, there's no reason that the original origin and the Razaar story can't both be used. Since the middle ages, many people suffering from androphasia (or however it's spelled) would lengthen their bones buy drilling two holes in their longer bones (in the arms and legs), binding a splint to the drills, they use it like a micro-rack, stretching the bones, making them break, then allowing the bones to heal by having the fractures fill in the break. It takes a long time -- somecases up to 20+ years, depending on the height desired -- but it can be done (if anyone saw that one episode of CSI understand, vaguely, what I'm talking about).

If Eugene did this BEFORE he was possesed by Razaar, then he could plausibly have been six feet tall when he infiltrated the monastary. The fact that Razaar made him short again could just be cruel irony.

--- And, yes, I DO seem to have an answer for everything, don't I?
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    Origin repairs you say....?
    More 'origin consolidation' than 'repair'. There's no reason that both given origins can't work with some added detail. And lets face it: Puck's origin isn't exactly the most detailed piece of work out there.

But but but... you mean Alpha Flight has some messed up origins

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    But but but... you mean Alpha Flight has some messed up origins

Well, yes, but not necessarily in Puck's case. In Puck's case, it could simply be a matter of UNFINISHED origin. the Divine knows there are enough holes in Eugene's past that it could be used as a fishing net.

(PS: Ben, as much as I like this new linking forum messages with the character bios, it shows as REALLY warpy when you recieve them in emails, esp. if the character's name is in the thread title...)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCanuck
    (PS: Ben, as much as I like this new linking forum messages with the character bios, it shows as REALLY warpy when you recieve them in emails, esp. if the character's name is in the thread title...)
    yes, I'm starting to run into a few problems....Also with a name in the title...like this one, the name in the title links to the bio, not to the thread...and I really don't want that....I may have to scrap it.

Ben

Yah, tough to click on. BUt I typed in Puck for Zuzha you on my poll and same thing happened, oh well. Zuzha is turning into a solid Afer and may be my favorite new character very quickly. She already was pretty close but with powers....
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.