L
    E
    R

S
    P
    A
    C
    E
    [img=right:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_1.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]

Writer: Scott Lobdell
    Artist: Dave Ross
    Cover: Scottie Young
    Story: Waxing Poetic 1 of 2

OVERVIEW:
    [img=left:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_2.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]The action begins with Centennial busting down the huge metal door of his former home. As the dust clears the gang, now inhabiting it see him with huge muscle bound gang member at his mercy.

Rejoining Major Mapleleaf and Puck, we find them under attack by wax replicas of some of the Marvel Universes greatest heroes. Mapleleaf steers Thunder to the ground, in theory to get Puck out of the line of fire. Once grounded, they discover many more wax heroes on the ground, tearing Montreal apart. The Major sends Thunder off to get help.

Back in the Plodex ship, Yukon Jack is moping about the disrespectful behavior of his "subjects"; once more the Plodex child is watching him. He is startled out of his self pity by the arrival of Thunder.

Back in the streets of Montreal Zuzha is showing off her skills in battle taking on many of wax repicas. Meanwhile Mapleleaf has been pinned down my the was Thing, about to be clobbered. Through unknown means Puck makes the wax Thing explode, getting him Lou's back. Zuzha asks him why he didn't use his "Biocentric Power Blasts" to defend himself, and he lame responds that he "Didn't think of it". As the was Thing begins to re-form, and they are about to be set upon by a wax Colosus, Yukon Jack joins the fray. Zuzha, how having a moment to think, comes to the conclusion that the wax figures were being controlled by someone nearby.

[img=right:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_3.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]Meanwhile at Department H headquarters Walter Langkowski is speaking with a man named Agent Skimmer. He is informing Skimmer that he won't be returning Nemesis to Department H's custody, that she will be staying with him. Skimmer rips into Langkowski, insulting him, and threatening him. Obviously having had enough of the seedier side of Department H, Walter transforms into Sasquatch, and holds Skimmer off the edge of the building by one foot. Sasquatch makes it quite clear that Department H had best leave his Alpha Flight alone, and that he had better not catch them doing anything wrong, or HE would come after THEM. Just as he is driving his point home Nemesis interrupts, as Thunder has arrived to bring them to the battle.

Mapleleaf and Puck are starting to get overwhelmed by the Wax Heroes, when Sasquatch and Nemesis arrive. The tide of the battle begins to turn.

Catching up with Centennial, he kicks all the gang members out of his house. He addresses the gang leader as Malcolm, who is his great grandson. Trying to blame his actions on "the man", an attitude that Centennial will have nothing of. He offers to let Malcolm stay in his house, but he had to clean it up for him. Just then Thunder arrives for Centennial.

The entire team now well entrenched in the battle, we see the Manimator in the shadows. Speaking to himself we learn that he created the wax statues out of was from a meteor that landed in his yard. He has sicked them on the Canadian people to teach them a lesson for idolizing Americans. Zuzha having figured out who was controlling the statues, interrupts the Manimator talking to himself, only to have him break into a monologue about National pride, and Canada's subjugation by the U.S. Having no patience for his warped perspective, Zuzha knocks him out with a left hook. The wax replicas stop their battle, frozen in place now that they are no longer controlled by the Manimator.

[img=left:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_4.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]At Centennial's home, the team share's a breakfast. Zuzha approaches Mapleleaf, and tells him she suspects that it is Thunder who has all the super powers, not him. When Walter asks, Rutherford seems to have accepted the fact that the new Alpha Flight will stay together. Up on the roof of Rutherford's house, Nemesis has set herself apart from the rest of the team. Rutherford joins her bringing her a plate of food. After he leaves her along, though she does not need to eat, she does so because she wants to.

In a seedy apartment, we find Gardner Monroe, a former foe of Alpha Flight called Flashback. He wakes up, walks into his bathroom to see the Flashback costume hung by his shower. He seems quite distressed by this.

The final panel is a teaser for the next issue. We see the new Alpha Flight bursting through a door to come upon the scene of Guardian about to "die", as happened in Alpha Flight volume 1, #12.

REVIEW:

[img=right:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_5.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]This was a really action packed issue, and should appeal to many fans who have found this series lacking in that department. The team got a chance to show off some of their capabilities in battle, even if we are still iffy on what some of their powers are. We have seen again that Zuzha does have powers, yet they remain a mystery. Centennial on the other hand really proved himself to be no pushover as he gave that gang a good swift kick in the you know where. He is quickly becoming my favorite of the new characters.

I loved the scene of Walter in Department H. It showed his assertiveness, he willing to take command of, and defend his team. I got a kick out of the implications of Agent Skimmer. Good humour there, but it also seemed to me that Lobdell was making a bit of a statement about this series. This will not be the X-Filesish style that we saw in Volume 2, and Walter was gonna make damned sure of that. I would love to see a story of Walter going into Department H and really cleaning house.

Though the Manimator was a lame "Super Villain" he was meant to be, and I believe it was all very tongue in cheek. Alpha Flight has battled a lot of "B" villains in their day, and this team has shown it's self capable of much more.

The little touches made with Nemesis, making her seem more real under the mask, and the front she has put up are nice. I'm looking forward to seeing her continue to develop as a character.

[img=left:da7fbde25b]http://www.alphaflight.net/reviews/af3_8_review_6.jpg[/img:da7fbde25b]The bit about Major Mapleleaf possibly not having powers has a lot of potential, and is very original. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out!

I was already really looking forward to the next story arc, but the bit with Flashback, and the teaser panel REALLY made me want to read it now.

For the most part the humour in this issue worked well. It wasn't over the top, and there were some clever little details, such as Sasquatch beating the Wax Thor's head in with his own hammer.

Much like last issue, Ross's art was kind of hit and miss for me. Some of the panels were really strong, but others just didn't do it for me. I enjoyed seeing someone else draw the new characters for a bit of a change, but I am really looking forward to having Henry back behind the Alpha-pencil.

This issue was fun, exciting, and had me really rooting for the team. I hope that with the characterization of last issue, and the action of this one some of the nay sayers will be saying nay a little less-loudly.

Looks very good, even if the art is uneven. Too bad Henry didn't draw it. More evidence of Zuzha's powers, what are they? hmmmm.

Part of the art problem rests with the colourists this time, but Ross has trouble with Puck and MML in my opinion. A better issue than #7 and a surprise in that fact. Good for Lobdell.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

I didn't read the issue yet but the part hinting MML might not have any powers is very interesting. (Perhaps lying to everyone and himself to make up for his fathers impossible expectations of him?)

Do you think there may possibly be a Guardian type "power suit" in his future?

D.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead
    I didn't read the issue yet but the part hinting MML might not have any powers is very interesting. (Perhaps lying to everyone and himself to make up for his fathers impossible expectations of him?)

Do you think there may possibly be a Guardian type "power suit" in his future?

D.
    Not a bad idea. The idea of how he has powers is that he acts as a channel or a catlist for Thunder's powers. while in contact with or maybe even in close proximity with Thunder, he is able to do all the things that Walt mentioned in #2. I'm guessing he is able to channel thunder's powers because of thier close bond. A powerful story could actually be if something tragic happened to Thunder, and he passed his powers on to MML.

Ben

New Recruit

Default Better...

I enjoyed this latest arc much (MUCH) more than 'You Gotta Be Kiddin Me'. Short, sweet, and with a perfect balance of action and characterisation. Looking forward to the next one. Kudos to Lobdel and Co.

the panel for the next story arc has me shaking like a schoolgirl. oh the possibilities, should make both original and new team fans happy. if they can just do something bout mac's death the first time and clean up some continuity holes alpha has i will make a shrine and pray to it daily in the name of scott lobdell.

and the mml not having powers thing should be pretty interesting.

i also wonder what the future holds for th boy plodex they found.

Continuity holes you say? Alpha doesn't have any of them, do they?

Rather good ComiX-Fan review: http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/...ad.php?t=30646

Good feedback so far too. Let's hope this is a trend.

Ben

There's also an A+ review up at google groups. Should provide a few more fans to get back.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

Quote Originally Posted by varo
    the panel for the next story arc has me shaking like a schoolgirl. oh the possibilities, should make both original and new team fans happy.
    Yeah. Not a classic story by any means but a nice bridge between the two major arcs.

If Lobdell is truly a fan of Alpha, I think we're about to see it. To this point, I really hadn't bought that. He seemed more to me like an early X-Men fan since he paid tribute to them through this book more often than he did Alpha Flight. At best, I thought he was a fan of the idea of a Canadian superhero team. Sending the originals off to space seemed like a strange way to treat characters that you're a mark for.

The old team may be gone for now, but he sure as hell isn't trying to let us forget them. They (or their likeness) have appeared in 5 of the first 8 books and they will undoubtedly show up in most (if not all) of the next 4.

This arc should give us some What If...? or Exile type stories. I'd really like to see what Lodbells interpritation of "What if Vindicator lived?" would be like.

Cheers,
    D.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Default The story so far...

I think Lobdell's trying to develop PuckGirl into a new Batman - the whole detective thing, working through problems. She was the one who worked out that the things had a controller - though her figuring out who it was, for me, was a 'You can tell you were trained by the world's greatest detective' moment. Oh, yeah, it took Sherlock to figure that part out.

I liked the way each character could see there was trouble just by seeing Thunder. They weren't as dense as most characters would be.

There was one panel where both Puck and MML were doing a long series of flips, or something, up or down... Anyway, as perhaps you can tell, I couldn't even tell which order the little pics of 'em were supposed to go in. The dialogue and the flips seemed to contradict, and it just didn't work.

Nemesis pinching Storm's nose did work.

- Le Messor
    "Bedfellows make strange politicians."

To tell the truth(Warning....Rant ahead)....I hope Scott doe NOT permanently change Alpha's past(especially any of John Byrne's run on the book)....that would be unforgiveable in my eyes(plus I'd drop the book immediately). The Byrne run was by the very creator of the team, who began to flesh out the characters and give them life(and death). I love those stories....they were/are THE best AF stories, so far in ANY AF series(i.e. "Guardian's death","The coming of the Talisman", "The death of Sasquatch and the Search for Walter's soul","Marrina's origin and the introduction of the Master", "The return of the Master and the meeting with Marrina's mate", "The Deadly Ernest" two-parter, etc...).

The "Guardian's death and aftermath" storyline was one of the best stories I have EVER read in comics(besides the Dark Phoenix saga)....it made me actually FEEL for ink and paper characters and it should never be/or have been tampered with...any comic that can make me grieve with it's characters is just....amazing(thank you, John Byrne!).
    Resurrecting Mac was one of the biggest mistakes Marvel has ever made(right up there with bringing back Jean Grey, who I love, but she's in the same boat as Mac)...as he has been ill-used and "killed and revived" several times more since then....none of it was necessary. It basically ruins an incredible story and the "Mac's dead, not dead" crap has become an on-going joke that just won't go away. One of the biggest disappointments of AF, this side of making an acrobatic dwarf into a demon-sorcerer possessed shrunken basketball player....yech!

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    To tell the truth(Warning....Rant ahead)....I hope Scott doe NOT permanently change Alpha's past(especially any of John Byrne's run on the book)....that would be unforgiveable in my eyes(plus I'd drop the book immediately). The Byrne run was by the very creator of the team, who began to flesh out the characters and give them life(and death). I love those stories....they were/are THE best AF stories, so far in ANY AF series(i.e. "Guardian's death","The coming of the Talisman", "The death of Sasquatch and the Search for Walter's soul","Marrina's origin and the introduction of the Master", "The return of the Master and the meeting with Marrina's mate", "The Deadly Ernest" two-parter, etc...).

The "Guardian's death and aftermath" storyline was one of the best stories I have EVER read in comics(besides the Dark Phoenix saga)....it made me actually FEEL for ink and paper characters and it should never be/or have been tampered with...any comic that can make me grieve with it's characters is just....amazing(thank you, John Byrne!).
    Resurrecting Mac was one of the biggest mistakes Marvel has ever made(right up there with bringing back Jean Grey, who I love, but she's in the same boat as Mac)...as he has been ill-used and "killed and revived" several times more since then....none of it was necessary. It basically ruins an incredible story and the "Mac's dead, not dead" crap has become an on-going joke that just won't go away. One of the biggest disappointments of AF, this side of making an acrobatic dwarf into a demon-sorcerer possessed shrunken basketball player....yech!

Dana
    well, really there is no way that any changes like that could happen without drastic alterations to the entire Marvel U.

Ben

feel free to rant about mac all you want! i am sure most people will back you. it was good as it was. though i guess i don't see much point in re killing him now if he ever shows his face again in a meaningful way. (random alpha appearances in UXM that have no point don't count).