Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whatever Happened To....?

Default Whatever Happened To....?

This subject came up on the Alpha Flight message board, and I'd like to bring up here. I've noticed something about Alpha Flight as the years have gone by, and probably you have, also.

Alpha has introduced one after another of new super-heroes, shown them a few times, and then forgotten them. I saw this happen with Marrina, Talisman, Manikin, Persuasion, Pathway, Windshear, Wyre, Radius, Flex, Murmur, Ouija, Ghost Girl, Groundhog, Stitch.... Am I forgetting anyone? If so, forgive me, but there have been so many!

I fear the new team will also eventually fall into this pattern. Centennial, Major Maple Leaf, Nemesis, Zuzha, and Yukon Jack are all interesting characters, and I look forward to their development. However, I wish that the writers would also take time to develop the Alpha characters that have already been introduced.

This has been my one pet peeve about AF. It seemed to me that whenever there was a new creative team on the book they'd have to leave a footprint behind in the form of a new character.

Not only did each creative team invent their own character, but each of them seemed to start a new friggin team! I nearly lost it when they first got rid of Shaman, Talisman, Puck and the twins. The team was never really the same again.

Although it does add quite a bit to the Alpha mythos. Think of all the potential storylines out there. The X-Men have done just about everything with each of their 1001 characters. It'd be nice to flesh out some of these barely used alphans seeing what they've been up to and where they are today.

It'd be more fun to see some of them come back as villains. One thing I found about some of their past villains was they had no depth and were one dimetional. Although they did have a few good ones.

D.

I eventually just ran out of space on my scoresheet trying to keep track of everyone on the squad at one time or another. But your right Canucklehead in that these characters lend themselves to an almost limitless source of stories.

While I wouldn't mind seeing a couple make an appearance there are more I'd rather see long lost. I wouldn't mind Windshear guest starring once in awhile but not as a regular. Flex, Murmur, Wyre, Witchfyre can all make the ultimate sacrifice at some point and go down in a blaze of glory.

Quote Originally Posted by PWalk
    Flex, Murmur, Wyre, Witchfyre can all make the ultimate sacrifice at some point and go down in a blaze of glory.
    While I somewhat agree with you regarding the other three, I wouldn't mind seeing how Adrian is reacting to his brother's supposed death.
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine

yeah didn't he get swallowed up by the earth a couple of years ago?

i liked v2 team (though obviously not more than the original), but i really couldn't get into all those characters that showed up in the last 30 or so issues of v1. many of them were just sort of uninteresting rehashes to me. so indicative of the time (early 90's, nO).
    though maybe the characters would have been better if the stories surrounding them had been. eeh.

however a thoughtful use of some of them in a fun reunite story would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead

It'd be more fun to see some of them come back as villains. One thing I found about some of their past villains was they had no depth and were one dimetional. Although they did have a few good ones.

D.
    What would be really cool would be some of these guys and gals coming back to topple the nefarious Department H we saw in volume 2. I could see Flex, Murmur, Ghost Girl, and perhaps some of the late volume 1 characters coming in to take H down. Of course they'd be met by Sas and company who then have to explain that Dept H has changed, or not.

Barnacle

I agree with the use of some as villains. I still like the idea of Talisman leading Persuasion, Manikin, Goblyn, Pathway, and Wyre (maybe more) as a kind of self-righteous group initially, trying to set things right but going overboard and becoming power hungry all too fast.
    Keep your stick on the ice.

Live it.

My thoughts on former Alphas ripe for villainy (or at leat adversarial roles):
    Wyre
    Witchfire
    surviving Volume 2 characters as anti-establishment types
    Yalisman as one who will use the team for her "higher-by-the-spirits" goals
    Wild Child
    Goblyn
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    My thoughts on former Alphas ripe for villainy (or at leat adversarial roles):
    Wyre
    Witchfire
    surviving Volume 2 characters as anti-establishment types
    Yalisman as one who will use the team for her "higher-by-the-spirits" goals
    Wild Child
    Goblyn
    Well...John Byrne made Wild Child a villain in his first appearance(and a nasty one, at that). How the heck did he go from that to mr. goody-two-shoes? Crappy writers? I think it's eye-rolling time

I agree with you about Wyre and Witchfire, but the Talisman as potential villain has been done(more like a spoiled brat by Mantlo)...I'd rather see her as a hero who struggles to retain her humanity and keep a good relationship with her father.

I can see Murmur as a potential villain and maybe Flex(who may possibly blame Alpha for his brother's death). Ghost Girl(bleh...shadowcat rip-off)...no, Goblyn was also played as a villain in her first appearance...I can't see her turning on those she's grown to know as friends. Persuasion is a big possiblilty in the potential for villainy department(the power to control minds would be a power that could corrupt easily, if one is not careful).

I don't see Manikin turning bad(he didn't care much for the super-life, anyway)...and Feedback is nearly a non-entity, we don't know much about him.

Dana

Witchfire SHOULD be a villain, AF needs more female villains.

MM

Quote Originally Posted by maniac mike
    Witchfire SHOULD be a villain, AF needs more female villains.

MM
    Now that you mention it she would kick ass as a villainess. You could have the Dreamqueen all over again.

I looked upon Wyre as a evil character who just happened to be on the team. Just the way he was drawn made him ripe for villain status. Have him return with some of the lesser touted members and a bug up his ass. Then we could see Nemesis run him through with her blade and be rid of him.

I don't know why, but I'm getting the feeling you don't like Wyre, PWalk.
    LOL!

Dana

having some old b grade alphans be villians would be a nice break from seeing gamma flight be villians again (or master of the world *gah, help*), but it is sort of the same idea . and a nice change from whacked out magic plots. (sorry to those of you who like those, a few were amusing, too many just confusing. paging dr. strange.)

all the old alphans all have colossal chips on their shoulders for being shoved to limbo when they were so young!

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    I don't know why, but I'm getting the feeling you don't like Wyre, PWalk.
    LOL!

Dana
    Does it show?

Quote Originally Posted by seroquel
    all the old alphans all have colossal chips on their shoulders for being shoved to limbo when they were so young!
    Thats a good idea. They could feel used and then thrown aside. Could make for an excellent story.