Thread: Snowbird and Wendigo Question....did her ancestors create th

Default Snowbird and Wendigo Question....did her ancestors create th

Was it ever stated whether or not Snowbird's Elder Gods created the Wendigo curse? I ask because Monster Unleashed#8 has the Wendigo curse as a creation of the "Elder Gods", and Snowbird's ancestors have called themselves "Elder Gods".

Nothing stated for sure that I remember.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

I can't recall nothing that directly ties the curse of the Wendigo to Narya's kin. Could be another group of gods that created the curse, but it's not something I'm aware of. Narya's kin have always appeared benevolent to man and creating such a beast would seem to be against any behaviour they've exhibited.

Oh and welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.
    Del

Driftwood: Well, I got about a foot and a half. Now, it says, uh, "The party of the second part shall be known in this contract as the party of the second part."
    Fiorello: Well, I don't know about that...
    Driftwood: Now what's the matter?
    Fiorello: I no like-a the second party, either.
    Driftwood: Well, you should've come to the first party. We didn't get home 'til around four in the morning... I was blind for three days!

Like the others, I know of no actual connection. It's entirely possible, however I would lean towarda use of the same term not while not realizing the connection.

Ben

The Wendigo curse was used to punish a person that ate the flesh of another. And even benevolent gods will punish wicked people. So it is possible that they could have done it. But I've never read it mentioned in the comic either.
    Richard Vasseur

Nayra's kin really don't seem all that benevolent to me....more like gods out to protect their own interests, which includes using mortals to carry out their plans(like Narya's father.....they took several years away from his life and drove him mad, for pete's sake...LOL....not so benevolent).

They've seemed very selfish to me and don't care who suffers...Another example: the torturing of Narya when she didn't immediately go after Tanaraq/Sasquatch AND turning the world against her when she began falling in love with Doug Thompson....nice family...yuck!

Almost every time they're shown....they are trying to serve their own ends, whatever those ends may be. They seem to have very little regard for lowly mortals.

Dana

Your right Dana. But what are the Gods motives for creating the Wendigo curse if they did? Just as a punishment? Or some other motive beyond us mortals.
    Richard Vasseur

Good question, Rich....I wish I had an good answer...LOL.

Dana

I guess I see it as a punishment(It IS called a curse, after all)....the person is changed into a hideous beast, that hungers to feed upon their fellow humans, unable to communicate, forced into a horrific exile from mankind...witnessing every murder and feeding that they do. It sounds pretty awful to me.

BTW....did you know that in Canadian Indian folklore, there was an island in Hudson Bay, where MANY(more than one?) Wendigos were believed to live? I read about it in a book of Native American legends and stories....it's very interesting. I see if I can find it and I'll post the title. I think it's very possible in the Marvel universe for there to be many Wendigos in the Canadian woods. That would be really cool.

Dana

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    BTW....did you know that in Canadian Indian folklore, there was an island in Hudson Bay, where MANY(more than one?) Wendigos were believed to live? I read about it in a book of Native American legends and stories....it's very interesting. I see if I can find it and I'll post the title. I think it's very possible in the Marvel universe for there to be many Wendigos in the Canadian woods. That would be really cool.

Actually, the myths of the Wendigo (and it's various names), as well as the myths of Big Foot/Sasquatch/whatever you wanna call it, are pretty universal across the country. Many Native groups have myths that mirror the legends of the Wendigo - everyone from the Haida, to the Black Foot, the Inuit and Dene to the Iroquois. Many have different names (don't ask me to try to spell the Inuit or Dene equivilent, as there are WAY too many consonants and no where near enough vowels, and most of those consonants are of the 'rare' types). Point is, if Wendigo/whatever is a common myth (along the lines of trickster spirits in quanitity) then there has to be some basis to it... just don't ask me to speculate on that basis, otherwise you'll risk me entering babble-mode...
    Allan 'HappyCanuck' Crocker

"Hey... Philosophers love wisdom, not mankind."
    - Stephen Pastis, Pearls Before Swine