Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ben's Bit - Alpha Flight #7 Review

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    This character just isn't developed.
    None of them are though.

Mapleleaf is considerably developed for 6 or 7 issues.
    Rutherford is well rounded and a solid feel for Yukon was provided with hints and glimpses of his background and situation. With Puck, just about nothing. Successful intrigue needs a hook, and she just doesn't have that. Instead of being intrigued, I think a lot of people ar on the who cares? end of the spectrum.
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

So why do you want to know what her powers are if you're not intrigued?
    Why are you asking questions about her and wanting to know more about her if you're not intrigued?

For me Mapleleaf is the least developed of all of the characters.
    All we know is that his father would beat him.
    Do we know exactly what his powers are?
    Do we know anything more about him than we do about Zuzha?

Yukon has had as many hints as Zuzha has; speaking from the womb, not knowing her father.

Rutherford, while rounded out personality wise, isn't developed either.

They're all developing.

First people complain that there's not enough action, then they complain there's not enough down time for development.

There's only so much you can learn about a character from 22 pages of fight scenes.

Read this issue a little earlier today...

I find this one just sort of went down the middle; nothing great, but nothing terrible either. I enjoyed the sudden look at Nemesis, and that had me scratching my head. I thought Jack's discovery was a neat touch and will help to explain why he'd hang around with the Flight after questioning earlier why he'd risk his life for a world that hates him when he's adored by hiw own people. Nice turn.

I'm among the posters who could care less about action, so the lack of that doesn't really bother me. I thought the guest artist did a nice enough job, no real complaints there besides what's already been mentioned about Sasquatch.

I was a little puzzled about Puck's behaviour. I guess what I thought was a twinkle of affection for Sasquatch a couple of issues ago was actually more like...respect, I guess. That, or she throws herself at every guy under 95 years of age. :P I'm okay with her being all over MML, since I didn't buy the whole scene with Sasquatch anyway. She seemed taken in by his smarts, when in reality he hadn't done anything intelligent at all. In fact, in this issue, Nemesis' suggestion should have been pretty obvious and it had never occured to him. I thought that if they started something there it could have lead to an interesting situation with Puck1 down the road, but seeing as he's in space for the forseeable future, that doesn't seem likely anyway.

Favourite line: "I love air".

There's got to be a story told some time about how MML and thunder "met".

Default Just remembered...

In a magazine store the other day, I saw...well...oddly enough...a magazine! It was called (I believe) Canadian Bride, and the cover model is at least part Asian. I thought of Puck2 right away when I saw it.

If you happen to be in a book or magazine store, give it a glance; from here on in this is how I will picture puck2. I tried to find a pic of it on the 'net but so far haven't been able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    I was a little puzzled about Puck's behaviour. I guess what I thought was a twinkle of affection for Sasquatch a couple of issues ago was actually more like...respect, I guess. That, or she throws herself at every guy under 95 years of age. :P I'm okay with her being all over MML, since I didn't buy the whole scene with Sasquatch anyway. She seemed taken in by his smarts, when in reality he hadn't done anything intelligent at all. In fact, in this issue, Nemesis' suggestion should have been pretty obvious and it had never occured to him. I thought that if they started something there it could have lead to an interesting situation with Puck1 down the road, but seeing as he's in space for the forseeable future, that doesn't seem likely anyway.
    I think her actual feeling for Walt are more out of respect, and she may deep down see him as a father figure. Walt must be twice her age, has been married, supposively had a kid. He's a vet at the supper hero biz.

Ben

At the time though, didn't you think there was a little more...affection...involved? That was the feeling I got. That's obviously not the case.

Either way, I liked it because it showed a little more characterization (sp?) beyond just getting on each other's nerves. The situation didn't really lend itself to it (she respected his brains, even though he fluked in finding the originals by flipping out) but the result was good, I thought.

Harvester of Sorrows Department H
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Renegade
    At the time though, didn't you think there was a little more...affection...involved? That was the feeling I got. That's obviously not the case.
    Look at the way she dresses for a second...

Okay, stop drooling!

Do you really think affection for one man would stop her pursuing another?

- Le Messor
    "As of tomorrow, employees will only be able to access the building using individual security cards. Pictures will be taken next Wednesday and employees will receive their cards in two weeks."
    - Fred Dales at Microsoft Corp. in Redmond, WA.

I actually gave in and bought this issue(darn my curiousity!!).

The negative:

I detest the splashpage recaps.

The story was a bit weak(Rutherford's little side-story just seemed to be forgotten...I know it will be(or may be) addressed next issue, but it seemed like it was just dropped, in favor of paying more attention to Zuzha and Mapleleaf(most of the issue was geared toward them...not that it's a bad thing).

I disliked the art....I didn't like Dave Ross's art in the first volume of AF and I still don't care for it(sorry Dave, just not my taste).

More goof ups with continuity...Zuzha saying that Mapleleaf left his horse at Walter's before they entered the Plodex ship? Didn't Thunder fly Maple and Yukon to the alien ship at the arctic circle?
    What's this "Left him at Walter's" stuff?
    Also, Nemesis was shown as having red hair in her first appearance, when northstar pulls off her mask(which I think was a coloring mistake, if I'm recalling that correctly...her hair was supposed to be colored grey....I think) ...In her second appearance her hair was indeed shown as grey when she removed her mask, then crumbled to dust. Now she's depicted as a blonde? I guess only her hairdresser knows her real haircolor.

I'm not digging the whole let's use the alien ship as a base, because it has cool gadgets and teleporters...ugh! That part was really like beating a dead comic book cliche horse(Alpha's already used villains' homes/bases as their own, twice now...in the original series....hmmmm, deja vu).

There was more character development in this issue(that's actually a positive), but I still can't stand Zuzha or Yukon(I find them as bland as wet toast). I'm terrified that Zuzha is just only eye candy, as another poster has said.

The villain....The Manimator???? Ugh!

The positive:

More character development....Yay!....I like Mapleleaf a bit more(his admiration of old-school heroes is...well...Admirable. I hope we'll actually see Rutherford in action(next issue) and not be treated to him showing up to help the others and mention in-passing that he took out a crackhouse.

I liked the moment between Walter and Nemesis.

A Letters page.

Dana

BTW: Looking at the X-issues in Sept freaked me out....there's 20 or more X-related books now?! That is absolutely ridiculous! What the heck is Marvel thinking? Hello OvereXposure!

Quote Originally Posted by Phil
    So why do you want to know what her powers are if you're not intrigued?Why are you asking questions about her and wanting to know more about her if you're not intrigued?
    Mokole raised all this bit, not me.

For me Mapleleaf is the least developed of all of the characters.
    All we know is that his father would beat him.
    Do we know exactly what his powers are?
    Do we know anything more about him than we do about Zuzha?
    We've seen he has powers, which is more than we've seen--SEEN, not had a one-line statement about the womb made--than with Yu

Yukon has had as many hints as Zuzha has; speaking from the womb, not knowing her father.
    Yukon's even worse, a cliche with a joke for a name.

Rutherford, while rounded out personality wise, isn't developed either.
    Attention to his personality and some novelty in his character make him more interesting than Yu, who is yet another ill-defined bad girl.

They're all developing.
    Let's hope so.

First people complain that there's not enough action, then they complain there's not enough down time for development.
    Different complaints from different people, Mr. Moderator.

There's only so much you can learn about a character from 22 pages of fight scenes.
    This is true. And in the total 154 pages, we've learned way too little about Yu.

I'm agreeing very much with Dana, although I probably like Dave Ross' work more than he does.
    Establishing her as a liberated woman adds a bit to Puck's character, but we still don't see powers,
    www.kozzi.us

recent publications in M-Brane Science Fiction and the anthology Things We Are Not.
    Forthcoming stories in Breath and Shadow, Star Dreck anthology and The Aether Age: Helios.

~I woke up one morning finally seeing the world through a rose colored lense. It turned out to be a blood hemorrhage in my good eye.

Quote Originally Posted by cmdrkoenig67
    More goof ups with continuity...Zuzha saying that Mapleleaf left his horse at Walter's before they entered the Plodex ship? Didn't Thunder fly Maple and Yukon to the alien ship at the arctic circle?

What's this "Left him at Walter's" stuff?
    I caught this too, then I thought about it, and I also realized that if they left the plodex ship, how is it that Nemesis and Walter were still back there in this issue. I just figured that they returned a short time after they left to destroy the ship. At that point leaving Thunder behind.

Also, Nemesis was shown as having red hair in her first appearance, when northstar pulls off her mask(which I think was a coloring mistake, if I'm recalling that correctly...her hair was supposed to be colored grey....I think) ...In her second appearance her hair was indeed shown as grey when she removed her mask, then crumbled to dust. Now she's depicted as a blonde? I guess only her hairdresser knows her real haircolor.

There's still so much mystery about her, who konws. The red could easily just be coloured by the shadows around, as could the grey. Or the grey could be seen as a prelude to the crumbline, almost aging to dust. Perhaps she has her "true" forum that is old and wrinkled and zombie-like, but can change her visage to look young (to play on Walter's emmotions) who konws. Perhaps Scott just wanted to change it and chose to ignor certain details. Perhaps he made an error. I dunno, time will tell.

I'm not digging the whole let's use the alien ship as a base, because it has cool gadgets and teleporters...ugh! That part was really like beating a dead comic book cliche horse(Alpha's already used villains' homes/bases as their own, twice now...in the original series....hmmmm, deja vu).
    I've noticed that Scott likes to tie things into the old series, even though it's basically a brand new group. The whole fighting amongst them selves more than agains the enemy in #6 was pure Alpha Flight. People say they want the old team back, yet they complain with the new team acts that way. You can't have your cake and eat it too. Likewise with this. I had that feeling of reluctantly using something that could help them, much like Bedlam's base, and Guilded Lilly's house. This kind of thing is what helps make this book feel like Alpha Flight to me. Think about the new readers that don't know the history like we do, it's helping to capture that feel that we all know and love.

The villain....The Manimator???? Ugh!
    Yah, really corny name eh? This actually reminds me of some of the totally corn-ball villians the FF has had to face in the past, not to mention ones that Alpha Flight has faced. I mean common, Pink Pearl, even Deadly Earnest, pretty darned cornie and silly when you step back and look at it. AF has not always faced the most challanging foes, and this team is still getting it's feet wet.

The positive:

More character development....Yay!....I like Mapleleaf a bit more(his admiration of old-school heroes is...well...Admirable. I hope we'll actually see Rutherford in action(next issue) and not be treated to him showing up to help the others and mention in-passing that he took out a crackhouse.
    I hope so too. I wanna see him really kick but tosing those goons out of his house.

A Letters page.
    Yah, I missed that last issue. Not just a letters page, but one that was 2/3 letters from members of the forum

BTW: Looking at the X-issues in Sept freaked me out....there's 20 or more X-related books now?! That is absolutely ridiculous! What the heck is Marvel thinking? Hello OvereXposure!

the term "putting all thier eggs in one basket" comes to mind. All those x-books, most of which have Wolverine in them

Ben

I am hoping the side story with Rutherford gets some development. Such as him wanting to use whatever time he has left to try and make his old neighborhood better. I'm wondering if this might lead to some conflict with some local mutant gangs. Be loads of fun to watch them get their butts kicked by an old man.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Messor
    Do you really think affection for one man would stop her pursuing another?

Well, if she was the least bit developped as a character. I might actually know!

I now expect a joke about how "developped" she is. :P

Quote Originally Posted by kozzi24
    We've seen he has powers
    Have we?

Different complaints from different people, Mr. Moderator.
    Hence "people" and not "Kozzi."

i really liked this issue.

some interesting plot twists thrown at us as well as some of the best character develpment i have read in a while.